Interest Falcon Respirator, Hoth Binocular, Hoth Scanner, & HIC Machined Aluminum Parts

I would like to get some input on the two tube four hole shaft -

1. Markus believes the two tubes are 7mm OD - any objections?
2. Any opinions on the four hole sizes?

thanks!

I'll start by pointing out that there are 6 holes evenly spaced around the perimeter of the shaft part. You can see 3 holes at any one time looking at any of the reference photos from a variety of angles which you wouldn't be able to if there were only 4 holes total. The 6 holes are distributed around the shaft part in 60° increments, while the two tubes are spaced 90° from each other, with the right hand tube aligning with the location of one of the holes and the left tube falling 30° past the next hole to the left. Geez, this is confusing to type out... :lol: Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

For dimensions, here's what I got from my perspective matched modeling and scaling work:

1. Tubes - OD 6.35 mm, ID 3.44 mm
2. Holes - 2.57 mm in diameter

I would think finding standard drill bit and round bar stock sizes that are within the margin of error of these numbers would be reasonable.

And in case you want some more data from the model, here are a couple other measurements.

- Length of the shaft that stick out from the split clamp: about 31.9 mm
- Length of the two tubes that stick out from the shaft part: about 7.5 mm
- Location on the shaft part of the centre of the two tubes: about 6.3 mm from the top of the shaft part
- Location on the shaft part of the centre of the four holes: about 18 mm from the top of the shaft part

For the split clamp, modifying OdiWan72's dimensions to fit the perspective matching a little tighter (excuse the crude mark up, but it should convey the info clear enough):

Split_Clamp_Modified_Dimensions.JPG

I'll start by pointing out that there are 6 holes evenly spaced around the perimeter of the shaft part. You can see 3 holes at any one time looking at any of the reference photos from a variety of angles which you wouldn't be able to if there were only 4 holes total. The 6 holes are distributed around the shaft part in 60° increments, while the two tubes are spaced 90° from each other, with the right hand tube aligning with the location of one of the holes and the left tube falling 30° past the next hole to the left. Geez, this is confusing to type out... :lol: Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

For dimensions, here's what I got from my perspective matched modeling and scaling work:

1. Tubes - OD 6.35 mm, ID 3.44 mm
2. Holes - 2.57 mm in diameter

I would think finding standard drill bit and round bar stock sizes that are within the margin of error of these numbers would be reasonable.

And in case you want some more data from the model, here are a couple other measurements.

- Length of the shaft that stick out from the split clamp: about 31.9 mm
- Length of the two tubes that stick out from the shaft part: about 7.5 mm
- Location on the shaft part of the centre of the two tubes: about 6.3 mm from the top of the shaft part
- Location on the shaft part of the centre of the four holes: about 18 mm from the top of the shaft part

For the split clamp, modifying OdiWan72's dimensions to fit the perspective matching a little tighter (excuse the crude mark up, but it should convey the info clear enough):

View attachment 1456970

hmmm...I assume you made the split clamp larger/ wider during your perpective matching, right?

The "height" of 31,275mm can´t be correct (the O.D. of 37mm is, just like on lonepigeon ´s drawing)
I measured my old clamp and it´s 30mm at this point, making it PERFECT to fit in between the two ridges of a real SIMRAD (only about 30,6mm wide). So by making it any bigger, it might work for the scanner, but not for the Binocs anymore.

Since I assume the splitclamp being the very same part on the scanner and the binocs, I´d go with my smaller measurements and see if that affects the dimension of the scanner tube insert

Last edited:
Well thank you sir! I’ll work on this w the machinist! Again, thank you

Chad...you have one of my resin binocs. Check yourself, if a splitclamp with close to 32mm would fit into the area, where my resin greeblie is attached.

I measured my real SIMRAD and like already written, there´s only about 30,6mm (battery of my digital calipers is empty) of space

hmmm...I assume you made the split clamp larger/ wider during your perpective matching, right?

The "height" of 31,275mm can´t be correct (the O.D. of 37mm is, just like on lonepigeon ´s drawing)
I measured my old clamp and it´s 30mm at this point, making it PERFECT to fit in between the two ridges of a real SIMRAD (only about 30,6mm wide). So by making it any bigger, it might work for the scanner, but not for the Binocs anymore.

Since I assume the splitclamp being the very same part on the scanner and the binocs, I´d go with my smaller measurements and see if that affects the dimension of the scanner tube insert
Chad...you have one of my resin binocs. Check yourself, if a splitclamp with close to 32mm would fit into the area, where my resin greeblie is attached.

I measured my real SIMRAD and like already written, there´s only about 30,6mm (battery of my digital calipers is empty) of space
No worries!

Did you not see my PM about this on April 26? I showed you this same crude mark up then. Anyway, I'm just reporting the numbers I got from altering the dimensions of the split clamp until it fit the perspective matching a bit tighter. To reiterate the numbers, that particular dimension of the split clamp I got from the 3D model is 31.275 mm, so that's only 0.675 mm away from your 30.6 mm estimate of the gap on the Simrad, which I'd suggest is within the combined margin of error of the battery-less caliper reading and the perspective matching.

Below is a comparison photo with the 31.275 mm version of the split clamps on top and the 30 mm version of the split clamps on the bottom. All other dimensions are identical to your original plans (37 mm main diameter and 9 mm thickness). You'll notice that on the 30 mm version the flattened surface appears to fall short of the edges seen in the photo on both the front facing split clamp and the rear facing split clamp. I adjusted that dimension until it fit both the front and rear facing split clamps in the photo (without altering anything else) and that's where the 31.275 mm number came from, for what that's worth.

SplitClampComparison.jpg

Either way, I'm not too worried about it as it's such a small variation so please go ahead with whatever numbers you feel better about. I'm simply reporting the numbers that the 3D modeling suggested!

I’ll work on this after work tomorrow guys, thanks for all the support and awesome reference photos!

My binocs have quite a bit of paint build up but I measure 30.55mm

So based on the fact we know these dropped into the real Simrad unit, the measurement of 30.55mm is acceptable to everyone?
calipers.jpg

I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over 0.7 mm! :lol: Like I said, I think that there is always going to be a certain margin of error when working from perspective photos like we are, so it's probably a good idea to work with whatever tangible reference we have, in this case the gap on the Simrad. (y)

Here's a view of the 3D model with that dimension changed to 30.55 mm:

SplitClamp3055.jpg

Looks good to me!

Incredible progress in this thread since my last visit!
Amazing guys what a job!!
Thanks again for making this project viable!

Hey Chad...what´s the status on these parts?

Will you receive any prototypes or something for approval?
Are we good on dimensions?

Hello, I'd like a set of whichever parts I need for one Hoth scanner.
(Sorry to not be more specific, I read through the thread but I'm still a bit confused as to which of these I need exactly for one scanner and how many - any chance you could just put me on the list(s) for whatever I'll need?
Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back