Falcon hologram - ID the Falcon please

Wavey

Sr Member
Someone asked me about the Falcon in this hologram, I thought it was a keyring sized toy from the early 1980s but I cant find the toy anywhere. Does anyone know if it is a toy or something else?

As far as I can remember, the hologram was bought at the London Science Museum's Hologram Exhibition somewhere between 1982 to 1983. From memory and a little research, I think the hologram was made by Light Fantastic Galleries Ltd based in Shepperton Studios during the 70s and 80s.

MFhologram.JPG

Doesn't look anything like the millennium falcon to me... Has two cockpits? And what's with the tower on top? I did some googling but this was the closest thing I could find, no other info on it unfortunately9103308017967545456.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

carn't help id it but it looks like it was inspired by the poster art that came with the original score record 5685838306_9d1cccbc39_b.jpg
cool poster. wish i still had it
5685838306_9d1cccbc39_b - Copy.jpg

I have a shower curtain with that poster art.

But that artwork doesn't have the double cockpit MF. Hard to tell from the angle of the hologram, but the fangs look stubbier than they should be. I'm also leaning toward a knock off.

oh it's obviously a knock off. don't know about china though. the whole world in the early 80's was still made in japan (insert "i'm half joking" emoji here).

Thanks for the replies and the hunting guys. I've been trying to make a reasonable video of it in close up all afternoon but there's definitely a science to it - lol and grrr both at the same time.

To get the best from the picture it needs a very bright single-point spotlight (like... the Sun), which I don't have since everything here went diffuse energy-saying low wattage pap.... But while messing with different light sources and arrangements something interesting did happen (in a very geeky way), a reflective surface in the background reflects back out (to the viewer) the same amount of lights as pointed in to the hologram. Obviously each extra light source creates a new picture of the object at a different angle so is completely useless for displaying the hologram but seeing the individual lights reflecting within the hologram was a mind-blast lol.

There's a lot more to the picture as it moves around, with almost Kenner minature die-cast Falcon-like details at the back and lights underneath. The two cockpit aspect does seem suggest a nock-off but I've heard of the Falcon being used to promote an 80's B-Movie with one condition, it must have two cockpits. I've not seen the film lol. As the makers of the hologram may be these guys, wouldn't that be a tad close to Lucas during the filming of Jedi? Perhaps it was just a nock-off, with a table full of lasers I know I would :D

LightFantasticSheppStudios.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back