falcon and slave 1 in 1/44 (falcon finished)

Re: falcon and slave 1 in 1/44

I have one question for you all.

If you look at the first pic in this thread it is of my first attempt at a falcon. It was the first model I'd done. On the model I used a gundam marker to make all the little hash marks that are on the studio scale model.

Does that translate well into this scale? Or should I just forget it

So I was just airbrushing the little red panels on the back of the engine area when my airbrush burped and a huge sploosh of red came out.

Even though it was masked...it wasn't THAT well masked...

I'm trying to get rid of it, but it make take a few layers

So I was just airbrushing the little red panels on the back of the engine area when my airbrush burped and a huge sploosh of red came out.

Even though it was masked...it wasn't THAT well masked...

I'm trying to get rid of it, but it make take a few layers

Let dry and then sand & lightly scrape off the excess; red is very difficult to cover with a light color, so you pretty much will have to remove it all or apply a layer of primer. You might consider doing a spot removal of the paint, then mask along panel lines so the touch-up won't be apparent. Too much paint on a small scale model tends to cover up the detail.

Going back a bit, fogging on clear parts is (with solvent cements like TAM ET) is when you apply too much and it runs out onto the smooth surface of the clear bits, 'crazing' the surface (ie, creating micro-pits as the plastic dissolves, 'beads up' and then resolidifies.) Trick is to use very tiny amounts of the solvent along the joint (think 'tack welding'). Fogging using CA, aka 'super glue', happens when the glue fumes settle on the plastic and cure. Again, trick is to use very tiny amounts, plus a bit of airflow to blow the funes *away* from the parts. Also, using a clear acrylic coating like the infamous Future floor treatment (has a different name now, like 'Johnson's Floor Finish' or some such...) before gluing helps prevent the fume-fog from happening.

Cleaning up the fogging can be done with 4-grit nail polishing sticks or similar polishing tools; just be careful to fully support the clear part while sanding otherwise you can end up cracking it or inducing tiny stress fractures that show as refracting lines in the plastic - and is unfixable. I use a malleable, stiff 'craft' clay stuffed into or around the part to support it while polishing.

You can also glue clear parts with the old standby, PVA adhesive glue, aka 'Elmers' (other brands of craft white glue work as well, but all best for parts that will have little stress on them.) MicroScale makes a clear-drying adhesive (Micro Krystal Klear) jfor this purpose & also useful for creating clear panels in opening by applying it as a film into the 'frames'; it then dries "crystal clear." Good for making tiny windows.

Tip for clear parts: use a black permanent marker to carefully edge the clear part; this cuts the refraction effect at the joint surfaces (an effect similar to 'silvering' of decal film.) However, if using a solvent glue, the inks will liquify so it can create a mess if not careful. Guess 'careful' is the operative word when working with clear styrene parts, given how easily scratched and how brittle they are...

Regards, Robert

Let dry and then sand & lightly scrape off the excess; red is very difficult to cover with a light color, so you pretty much will have to remove it all or apply a layer of primer. You might consider doing a spot removal of the paint, then mask along panel lines so the touch-up won't be apparent. Too much paint on a small scale model tends to cover up the detail.

Regards, Robert

Thanks for the advice. In all honesty, it wouldn't be hard to simply redo the engine area. But I would like to get the old paint off. I've hear it recommend here before, but do you think that Oven-cleaner would work?

I set it aside for a while but I started back today with some streaking on the bottom. I tried pigments first but oils seem to work better for me.

Man, my last falcon was way too grey but this time it's way too warm.

Maybe the next one will be goldilocks uploadfromtaptalk1426985514507.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426985532340.jpg

I'm starting to get bummed. It's turning into the same mess that my previous one did. At this point I'm just waiting for a 1/72 Bandai to come out.

If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them

uploadfromtaptalk1427051888363.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427051903916.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427051915965.jpg

What is it you are not happy with?

If it's the warmth of the paint job and brightness of the coloured panels you could thin out the base colour and spray a VERY fine mist ove the entire model (You will need a Dual action Airbrush) this will bring it back to the base colour a bit depending on how fine a mist you do. I have used this on Armour and space craft models to good effect.

Only thing I would change is to darken the yellow and reds. I think I painted and re-painted the different panel colors at least 4 times on my Falcon until I liked them, especially the reds. But other than that it looks fantastic. I especially like the rust. I love rust. Great work!

Thanks for the complements, guys.

I'm actually getting happier with it as it goes. But I think the thing that's bothering me the most is how rough the surface is getting. It looks sloppy. Perhaps I should have clear coated between coats. But I assumed that I didn't need to since this was all with oils and I gave it plenty of time between layers.

I also think I need to be more concerned with dust when I airbrush. I work in a big wood shop and it probably gathers dust as it sits.

As for the airbrushing, MrDickJones, I did very little. The only airbrushing I did was the initial base coat and the coloured panels. Everything else is oil paints

Attachments

• 20150327_132351.jpg
    20150327_132351.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Okay guys, I think I'm finished the paint. I believe I have some decals around that I might throw on. And I still have to make a stand. I may hold off that until the slave one is doneuploadfromtaptalk1428061230266.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428061277251.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428061324741.jpg

Absolutely brilliant!!! I am repainting my Hasbro Falcons as I now realize what I have to do. Again simply ace work.

Did you use photo etch for the grills, if so where did order them in 1/144?
I was thinking about getting this kit but would like to make pop with some aftermarket parts and haven't found any as of yet.
Love the job your doing, especially in that scale.

Did you use photo etch for the grills, if so where did order them in 1/144?
I was thinking about getting this kit but would like to make pop with some aftermarket parts and haven't found any as of yet.
Love the job your doing, especially in that scale.
Thanks for the complements. They are photoetch grills which I got from the starship modeler store. They also come with resin fan inserts but you can't see them at this scale.

I also got casts of the gunwell, gunwell window frame and the cockpit window frame from scratchy. Since I didn't light it, you can't see any detail of the gunwell either.

I don't know if he is still making these parts but you can now get the cockpit from shape ways.

How great would it be be if someone started 3d printing cloud city landing platforms?

You could do a kick ass book end set with the falcon on one and slave one on the other

uploadfromtaptalk1428640875401.jpgworking on a stand for the falcon. As if it is flying over an asteroid. So far, I'm just playing with mdf and polyfil

added a few more craters and some rubble....

which I will work down a fair bit so it isn't so pronounced

Attachments

• 20150413_134907.jpg
    20150413_134907.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20150413_160119.jpg
    20150413_160119.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 42
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back