FALCON 32" hunk of junk build

Discussion in 'Commercial Kit Builds' started by DARKVIEW, Jun 8, 2015.

1. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Greeting all, there may be a Falcon to many on here but what the hell...thought I'd show you my Dagostini Falcon build & I must say lm enjoying it, Exellent quality.

Metal guns cannons drilled out.... Lightly sanded all the metal parts then soapy wash & dry them...
    [​IMG]
    then primed below, you can get canned primer from £1 shops that works just fine.

[​IMG]

Below mix your chosen paints etc for the guns....I mixed enamels till eye right match....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adding my own details to the main hold cabin...
    [​IMG]
    Making barrels with some pen tops... & bits...
    [​IMG]
    Added pipework etc.. Just wanted to create a functional feel to it by adding pipework etc as l don't imagine I will open the falcon up much to display its interior. It's just my interpretational detailing and not studio set accurate!! I'd have to spend a fortune on certain sites on lazer printer parts that l feel are way over priced if l wanted to do that! But I'm looking into a grid floor at some point if the price is right, but for now the interior I've creating my own bits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Altered seats & extra details here & there...
    [​IMG]

Corridors started...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Your paintwork is exceptional!!

I'm hooked

J

3. Necronaut

Necronaut Active Member

That is amazing! Did you use some Shapeways stuff for the cockpit?

4. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

Great build, congratulations!

Regards

5. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Thanks, No Necronaut, I've so far just added my own made parts like POUNDLAND gel pens for barrels & old kit bashed parts for the inside. Tho l think Shapeways stuff is amazing in acurate detailing- l find the pricing & p+p ludicrous for the cabin hold parts especially since I'm very rarely going to show it... But what l cannot make myself l may later decide on buying from other companies... Theirs cheaper 3D printed parts on the grape vine l heard!.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Neat work, great to see an actual build instead of shipping discussions, well done

DARKVIEW and Necronaut like this.
  7. Necronaut

Necronaut Active Member

So, how did you get the grate texture on the cockpit floor? Was that perhaps Plastruct or Evergreen strip or sheet?

DARKVIEW likes this.
  8. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

I designed it in photoshop & printed it on medium card. For the amount of space on the floor that can be seen its convincing...Here's the template for those who may want to use it... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    raulperez, Reelo, Supercruise and 2 others like this.
  9. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Clever,,......& thanks for posting

J

DARKVIEW likes this.
  10. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Thanks.... Here's some pictures of the parts used & the other sides doorway...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Supercruise and Randy13 like this.
  11. Hansyt

Hansyt New Member

Very nice! Love the ideas and work! Just made yet another bookmark!! Great job!

12. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Thank you Hansyt, it's so far been a very enjoyable build.

The Falcon has only minior detail flaws, but one that was a bit to obvious was the cockpit windows but dagostini are to replace the cockpit window later due to the front windows not being correct, so lm happy with them. As you can see the front bottom window is central and needs to be dropped....
    [​IMG]
    Below ...This is how it kinda should look though the frames look a tad frail to me....
    [​IMG]
    Below mine...I will continue its weathering fully on the corrected free issued cockpit... Like above....
    [​IMG]
    Also worth noting that it will come with optional window glass... As most will know the studio Falcon was without for special effect shooting etc..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  13. VFX Freak

VFX Freak Well-Known Member

Exceptional work! You've inspired me to forego the Shapeways path. Subscribed and looking forward to watching your progress. And thanks for posting the cockpit floor template. That's a really clever and simple solution.

DARKVIEW likes this.
  14. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Thanks, glad to help... Here's floor GRID B. Has a kind of slight rust colour, you can weather on top of it to if needed...ie under seats/edges etc...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

raulperez, Reelo, Supercruise and 2 others like this.
  15. Pbellajr

Pbellajr New Member

Gasp! That says it all.

16. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Fittings & fixtures....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CRphoto likes this.
  17. CRphoto

CRphoto New Member

Skilled work there, Darkview. I especially enjoy the look of the cockpit mods.
    Thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing more.

DARKVIEW likes this.
  18. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Cheers, Here's some of the underside lighting & electrician tape to hide light I've added...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  19. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

doing a killer job there... I suspect light leaks on that cockpit will be a killer...

Jedi Dade

20. judgedredd

judgedredd Sr Member

Wow good thread and some of the best paintwork i have seen i will follow this :)

DARKVIEW likes this.
  21. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Thanks Jedi & Judge.
    Main hold lighting....nice and dark feel and lve sanded the pipes to take off that gloss look they had like the 1st picture here.. The top pipes are just small black bar straws & drink stirs. I drilled out a hole each side of the top blue/black pipes so they slide in and stay firm. The floor has minimum weathering till l decide on a grid floor or not!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  22. RKS

RKS Active Member

Nice work but my advice is to exchange that electrician tape for something more durable. In time it will release itself and turn the plastic into a greasy mess.

23. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Cheers RKS, will look into it, I've only blocked the under LED wires on the removable cockpit cone part... The rest of the model tube thats behind the chairs etc is painted matt enamel black. And I'm making a canopy to cover the Dagostini light section.

24. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Been working on a 2nd main hold floor using Rub'nBuff pewter finish & Winsor & Newton fast dry Lamp BLack as an experriement. Everything on my first main floor is only stuck to the sides for future change if it looks good or l want to make a grid floor...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KramStaar likes this.
  25. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

I made extra Pipe details for the main hold using the runners that you get with this model...as you can see I've put 2 Up lve finished on this picture just below... Just cut, sand, prime...paint and weather... Other pipes etc can be used inexpensively from drink stirs/straws/wire/old phone charges leads etc..
    [​IMG]

I've used one or two here... Above the seat corner...
    [​IMG]
    Below ealier added wall detailing ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    chefhawk likes this.
  26. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Love this latest Painting the De Agostini Millennium Falcon Scale Model video with Steve Dymszo. ...a kind of put up and shut up video with a sponsored can of Tamiya in hand ;-) (joking, no its useful video). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Yaj2wlHS4

27. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Masking the underside...Spot the mistake!!!! .... At the time of masking l used the Haynes Falcon manual as reference...it's wrong!! So re did it using other studio sources. This is just my method..most will wait l guess- especially since the Dagostini magazine will give amazing ref photographs in future issues..
    [​IMG]

Front underside....so far...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Supercruise and chefhawk like this.
  28. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Extra floor buff....
    [​IMG]

29. cellarboy

cellarboy Jr Member

Amazing, inspiring work!

What colour did you use on the walls and the darker part of the seats? I've been thinking of applying a light brush coat of Humbrol Gunmetal Metalcote and selectively buffing to give a bit of texture. Wish the rattle cans were available in Canada, but sadly they are not.

30. CRphoto

CRphoto New Member

I agree. I found his comments very refreshing. Not just the caned corporate BS we often see, but one "real person" talking to others. His painting tips and behind the scenes knowledge are good into.

DARKVIEW likes this.
  31. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Brilliant thread dark view , can you give us an overview of your methods for hull weathering , is it pastels only or is there pin washes involved ?

DARKVIEW likes this.
  32. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

I mainly used quick drying oils like so...the lamp black is my mainly used colour, l simply applied it to all crevices then with a lens cloth wipe it off & buff like crazy, it's amazing, quick & comes up with great results...straight from the models base colour as it is. If a area is wrong you can simply wipe off with a soft cloth with a tad white spirit...l even add white spirit to the oil occasionally to weaken the inner weathering and create a wash...same goes for the cabin... I'm usually an old school spray/dry brush modeller but a fellow brilliant modeller was using this technique so l gave it a go and loved it... As a artists l think of the model hull etc as a canvas and paint on it, then rub till I see the best picture... Hope that makes sense...and helps... Below the oils etc...ebay sell them.

Oh btw Cellarboy...the seats even tho l liked Dagostinis seats in the main hold (chess area) l sanded them then added the black oil & rubbed in till required effect.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other equipment... tamiya weathering kits l add here and there...when the oils totally dry.
    [​IMG]

Plastic containers for mixing colours from time to time, but as I say it's mainly the black l use for the hull....cabin...straight from tube..
    [​IMG]

Hope that's enough info but ask away ... :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  33. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Brilliant, thanks dark view appreciate the background, there are so many ways to tackle the weathering of this subject , always good to hear from someone who has done a brilliant job of it , keep it up

34. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Cheers it was new uncertain ground using this method at first!! but soon felt at home with it.

35. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

I keep bags of bits that come in useful for scratch building and/or modifications like the main hold. £1 shops are a gold mine of crap for parts too. Not sure if the USA have $1 shops!!?
    [​IMG]

36. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Over the weekend l started building a SPACE PORT FUEL PUMP for the Falcon.Kind of imagine it being part of the dock at Mos Eisley!. Keeps my evenings busy between waiting for monthly issue deliveries.

37. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Think my TIE is to scale (or near enough) Revell 1/110 Star Wars Tie Fighter Easy Kit so got 3 of them for when its finished... going in the corner of my room on the FALCON BRACKET....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  38. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Added detail. The white pipe (near central) on the wall is a paperclip bent & cut...
    .[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Supercruise and KramStaar like this.
  39. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Really incredible work!!!

40. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Thanks man, looking forward to the next stage when my delivery arrives but untill then lm tweaking parts and developing my SPACE PORT FUEL PUMP for the Falcon.

41. CRphoto

CRphoto New Member

Really creative darkview. When do we get a peek at your space port fuel pump? You've got my curiosity going in that one.

DARKVIEW likes this.
  42. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

And is it made from a soap dish ?

DARKVIEW likes this.
  43. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Cheers CR prob over weekend, just priming it at moment... Not quite Vacformedhero....;-) here's the rough l sketched last weekend...
    [​IMG]

Btw Below...does anyone know if the model will come with this room? I know some modellers are making it but don't want to waste time on it if Dagostini are creating it? ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Vacformedhero likes this.
  44. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build

I was reading through your technique explanation because I want to try and get your results.

This may sound odd but when you say buff exactly what do you use and how do you "Buff?" The only buffing I have done on models was on gun metal grey and I don't even remember what I did, and steel wool for metal stuff.

Thanks so much.

You work is really inspiring. It motivated me to get started on mine finally. The painting and detailing was a bit intimidating.

45. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Also if you don't mind, what is White Spirit?? Never mind. Found it. Cleaner/Thinner.

Also will the oil paints be okay once all is said and done and I cover the entire model with a spray clear coat for protection?? I assume everyone is doing that once they have the entire paint job finished???

The actual Winsor and Newton site seems to have the best price.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  46. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Cheers Jameth1971, When l say buff l mean rub in with a soft cloth like those we get with lens etc.. I just rub in till l see the required effect, like the underside hull for instance.

You could do tests first with a model part from something else to see how you go... Paper towels/cotton buds can be useful in
    areas from time to time too.

White spirit is paint thinner/brush cleaner/turps over here. I only apply if the areas that have to much weather black from my applied oils from the brush, the brush helps you get into the small details before rubbing off etc..and it may take a few layers to build up the end results.

I've found that with these quick dry oils + the technique of rubbing it in so well that I've not needed any protection coating as yet :).

I got my oils from ebay after not finding them locally in stores.

Hope that helps, l'll try helping as much as possible and explaining as it goes... Let me know how in goes for you if you try it.

47. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Well lm hoping that my monthly order arrives sometime today (it's usually a week late). But as l mention in the meantime I've been creating a STAR WARS universe kind of SPACE PORT FUEL PUMP for my FALCON. My vision is to make it look and kind of blend in to the mos eisley dock we know in STAR WARS... Hope this is ok to add with my thread.
    Here's my reference for weathering etc...

[​IMG]

These are most of the primed parts from kit parts & stuff l eyed up from £ shops etc... The main central part was what started the project...my old inkjet holder thingy ;-)
    [​IMG]

Kind of develops as the parts grow and want various fuel pipes... I've upturned some of the pipes since this reference shoot to feel more like our gas station machines, will show them over weekend..
    [​IMG]

rogue82, VFX Freak and Vacformedhero like this.
  48. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Excellent. Thanks so much. Gonna order the oil paints ASAP.

Thanks again.

Tom

49. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Hopefully Monday my next 4 parts of the FALCON arrive... Here's the primed FUEL PUMP for my build...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Selection of pipes to rust & oil etc...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just need to paint & weather it.

Vacformedhero likes this.
  50. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Added main hold bits... New grid floor hopefully next...
    [​IMG]

chefhawk and KramStaar like this.