Fake Superman Prop Costumes on ebay?

The black and white episodes used chocolate brown and gray suits for both Kirk Allen and George Reeves. That was because they photographed well in black and white. This is a fact, so those could well be the suits. As for the Reeve one, it could be, but the boots look wrong.... At least on my small phone screen.

There's a seller out of Florida who flooded the market with fake Superman, Superboy, Supergirl, Greatest American Hero and a number of other costumes back in the 90's. He seemed to get his hands on a Christopher Reeve every week, then when people got suspicious about those suits he started making a different one. He even went so far as to sell "authentic" Superman baby blankets from the Movie - if you read about the making of the first film there were only two blankets and Richard Donner gave one to the parents of the kid who was the baby and he kept the other. These may have come from him. From time to time suckers will pop up who he conned into buying one of his costumes and they (wanting their money back) sometimes try to sell the suits off as the real deal. His suits sometimes pass a first glance inspection because he usually had an original in his possession to work off of. A true scum bag.

There's a seller out of Florida who flooded the market with fake Superman, Superboy, Supergirl, Greatest American Hero and a number of other costumes back in the 90's. He seemed to get his hands on a Christopher Reeve every week, then when people got suspicious about those suits he started making a different one. He even went so far as to sell "authentic" Superman baby blankets from the Movie - if you read about the making of the first film there were only two blankets and Richard Donner gave one to the parents of the kid who was the baby and he kept the other. These may have come from him. From time to time suckers will pop up who he conned into buying one of his costumes and they (wanting their money back) sometimes try to sell the suits off as the real deal. His suits sometimes pass a first glance inspection because he usually had an original in his possession to work off of. A true scum bag.

Thanks for the insight... This is why I love this place... There is an overwhelming amount of knowledge and people willing to share and teach us new things. :thumbsup

It does suck that the hobby suffers from fake items flooding the market:angry

It's been said before, but I always wonder how people can actually fall for these things. To me it would be like drooling over the $10 million about to be transfered into my account from Nigeria.

It's been said before, but I always wonder how people can actually fall for these things. To me it would be like drooling over the $10 million about to be transfered into my account from Nigeria.

Are you saying that $10 million that I'm waiting on from Nigeria is not going to be showing up? :cry

Plus the guy only posted really small low res shots of the suits. It's weird, the other scams at least had detailed shots with fake writing on the inside (Ie. "Reeve walking" "Reeve Flying") Anyone who would pay $50,000 for a prop that only has one or two low res picture deserves what they get. (well..maybe not, but people shouldn't be so stupid)

Last edited:
"This is one of the television worn outfit by George Reeves in the television series The Adventures of Superman that ran from This item is legitimate and official and comes with full documentation that I, an experienced business attorney, have carefully authenticated myself."

I have yet to see a fake listing that spelled everything correctly without grammatical errors, so this sentence has me wondering. :lol

The black and white episodes used chocolate brown and gray suits for both Kirk Allen and George Reeves. That was because they photographed well in black and white. This is a fact, so those could well be the suits. As for the Reeve one, it could be, but the boots look wrong.... At least on my small phone screen.

I don't see boots anymore. Did the seller remove the photo? The listing now says boots are not included as there are only two pairs in existence.

I own the "Evil" Superman III suit! Complete suit that is!! I know every detail about the suit. I can easily distinguish between an authentic and replica!!! At first I thought the 50's suits were real, but when I saw the Reeve suit, I knew right away, all Fake!!!

I'm not lucky enough to own a Reeve but I have seen so many Florida made Reeve costumes as part of collections, in auction, on display that there must be hundreds out there. I know the Florida scam artist recently got in trouble by one of the Salkinds for including her name on the paper of authenticity he would send out with his Superboy, Superman and Supergirl costumes - she may have even got him jail time - I can't remember. I have noticed that when it comes to these auctions - if there are no boots or belts with these costumes - and it looks a little iffy - it's more than likely a fake. The boots and belt are the hardest things to reproduce - especially when your talking about the George or Kirk Allen suits - and it's not just making them - they have to be aged - that comes with wear, smell and with the George buckle (which was metal) the patina must match the age- which is probably a pain in the butt - so it's better for someone to just say "Boots and belt are missing" .

i was discussing these auctions with my friend the other day and he said"Why would he call attention to the Dean Cain as something he can't authenticate?" To me this was the funniest thing - seeing how he "authenticated" all of these suits himself - the Dean Cain would be the easiest to verify as it's only 18yrs old. But when you think about it - it's also the cheapest by far of the costumes- so it's the one you sacrifice to prove you are an "honest" person. List the others as 100% but the Dean Cain falls into unsure - it gains you credibility so someone will trust your other items and bid.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back