Fake Barbed Wire

Well, we are less than 90 days from Halloween; you may be able to find something at a dedicated Halloween store / party store / costume store or in a Halloween section.

I'm not sure what counts as con safe, perhaps make some from twine and paint it with plastidip and silver paint?

That's kinda what model makers do, but they use sewing cotton.

None of these will work?

I used thicker string. I cut the length and cut/tied little strips to make the barbs. Then I spray painted it and it gave it some rigidity when I wrapped the bat

For film, we make very realistic fake barbed wire this way:
Use a 16 gauge standard insulated solid core copper electrical wire(The type used in household wiring, from HD or Lowes)
Cut 1 piece about 215% longer than you desired finished length (Make it longer than you need, you can always cut it shorter)
Drive a nail in a block of wood or clamp a nail in a vise
Fold you wire in half and take the loose ends and tighten them in a cordless drill chuck
Loop the other end around the nail, pull tight and wind the wire using the drill motor.
Look at a photo of a rear piece of barbed wire so you can get the amount of twist correct.
Using bulk rubber O-Ring cord stock rubber (available from McMaster-Carr) about 1/16" in diameter. (Don't try to use actual O-rings, the circular shape will be a problem)
Cut 11/2"- 2" lengths and cut the ends on a diagonal. Do a test to see what is the correct length to look like the "Barb"
Wrap the cut pieces of o-ring rubber around your twisted electrical wire about 2 times and glue with super glue. Again, look a a real piece of barbed wire to see the correct wrap number and the spacing of the barbs.
Now paint- either silver or you can add ruddy brown primer to give it a rusted look.

What Imgill posted is the way to go. The cost of buying and time shipping will be more investment than actually making it for the amount needed. Sadly ive made thousands of feet of fake barbed and razor wire, you will pay a premium to buy it pre made. I say sadly because once youve made it in bulk, you never want to see it again.

I ordered 2 SG-1 patches on 7/18 exactly one month ago and I still have not received the patches. I wrote the first e-mail on 8/2 asking for an update and Russ told me he would be checking with Dan about the order. I wrote again on 8/9 for an update and as of 8/19 I have not received an update or reply to my last e-mail. I know things happen, but over a month for 2 patches and only one e-mail reply to my first email and none afterwards is concerning. I even messaged them on their FB page and haven't received a reply. I just want to see if anyone else is having trouble or if they know what's going on.
About how much barbed wire should I use on the bat?

I'd get some string or cheap wire and wrap it around your bat then measure how much you've used. But keep in mind that if you're making it, you're going to twice as much wire for the base because you'll either be folding it in half of twisting 2 pieces together.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back