Fairy Godmother - Helena Bonham Carter version

FANGS

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all!

I've got the itch to make this new costume but finding the fabric just might be the death of me. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

20b4ef1a2b80005f_Godmother_xxxlarge_2x.jpg

I'm not sure how great the quality of the picture will be once uploaded here but when you look at the fabric closely you can see that it's a sheer fabric with a sort of cracked ice pattern in silver throughout. A fabric guru friend of mine found a website for tablecloths of all things that had the pattern on organza, but I've been unsuccessful in my attempts at tracking down that tablecloth (released in 2011) or in getting a response from the owner of the website. Through more searching I found a company here in Canada that I've dealt with before that has something very similar on a lace (looks sort of like netting) but it's black with either red or blue "cracked ice". I've sent them a message as well to see if they've ever stumbled upon in it white with silver but no luck yet.

6068_blkblu_d_a.jpg

All other searches have provided no results.

It looks to me as well like they melted the fabric in places to get those holes. There are a few spots that look repeated but not overall so I suspect that it's random-ish.

AARRRGGGHHHHH!

Yay for progress!

With the help of mdb, I was able to identify and buy the main fabric. You see it best on its own in the sleeve ruffs. It's called spider web tulle and I had to order it from the UK. Best I can tell, this goes over top of everything.

The stuff with the silver lines was the hardest and in the end I stumbled on a source while researching a completely different costume on Pinterest. Turns out its called giraffe tulle and Jo-ann's carries it. I'm just waiting for it to come in but I'm fairly certain that it's a match. Just prior to finding it I ordered some tulle with silver glitter spider webs on it hoping I could do something to make it work. Between that glitter bomb and the white fur trim I just bought for yet another costume, everything we own is doomed to have glitter and fur on it for the foreseeable future. Poor husband. Hopefully he'll come up with a juicy story to explain the glitter at work.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the parts with holes. Ohhhh holes in the fabric how you torment me......

Last edited by a moderator:
Woohoo! Sorry I was not able to go any further :) I *know* I know what lace terms to search for just it is illuding me right now!

Also go glitter bombs! There is a permanent glitter trail on our driveway that will need to be waterblasted off!

mdb when you get a minute, have a peak at the collar in the movie poster shot. It looks to me like.....ugh.....I don't know how to describe it but I'm seeing lines like its a different fabric than the under skirt. Also just for giggles, have a look at the bottom right side of the dress. Looks like the layer with holes got caught up and you can see the base fabric.

P.S. You rock, lady.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the giraffe tulle came from Jo-Anne's. The silver parts are perfect. But the tulle? It's a light purple! AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHH!! I'm hoping that it doesn't show up as purple when it's just a single layer and under the spiderweb tulle. This costume....I swear.

And then.....I see the dress from Jupiter Ascending and I'm already in full on magpie mode looking for all of the shiney things that go on that one. ~sigh~

Looking forward to see your progress on this one :) I thought about tackling this one but decided I bit off enough and I should make something more simple once I get finished with all the kids costumes :)

I've only seen it from the side but there are definitely little wings. I'm guessing that they are the same fabrics as the rest of the dress as they look similiar.

e4b0d91d6317d705126688125d008ebe.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back