Facial texture on NSP Chavant

johnnyhungus

Well, I am getting frustrated with my sculpture of Heath Ledger Joker due to the skin texturing being tricky to get right.

I am guessing this is my lack of experience but I have tried several things and am not so happy with the results. I don't really want pores all over the head, it looks rubbish.

Any tips for good facial texture stamps or something to cover larger areas of facial skin?

TIA

It would help to know what you’re sculpting in. With WED clay, my favorite thing to do is use a large sponge and stipple texture in. Then you go in and refine texture around the face.

With oil clay, a cheap cat brush and rubber paper turners are a great way to add a generic texture all over. Cut the whole pad out of the brush handle. You’ll run it along the “grain” of the bristles right on the sculpture. I soften the surface with powder. The page turners work better through plastic. You CAN use these with WED clay, but you’ll want to wait until the surface is past leather-hard or it will tear through the sculpture.

F3AC1C01-A5F1-4267-896D-2FBA218C8005.jpeg 0CB1516D-7637-4483-9655-5FB64DFC90ED.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Rubber-Finger-12-Pack-S7054033C/dp/B00007LB0H

Additionally, if you haven’t seen this video, I highly recommend it.

Another way to try is using catbrushes or similar for the skin lines. Raking in criss crossed wiggling different directions. Then smooth it down with talc and a stiff brush.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back