Face Off S2 talkback (CONTAINS SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Draphin, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

Hey all we had a thread for Face Off Last year and I enjoyed it. I did a quick search around here for a new Face Off Thread and no luck. I think it may be because we are all Tied up in the RPF Hack. However it is in times like these we need to keep using the RPF as it was initially envisioned for us to use. Therefore anyone who wants to Chime in About Face Off Season 2 I say this is the Place!

**** WARNING ****

This thread will contain SPOILERS for each nights episode due to Time Zones. Please don't Blame others for ruining the surprise by coming in here and reading just before the show or during it as someone else could have already posted the Results of the Show. This just makes it easier for everyone posting as some Don't know how to use Spoiler tags. Or like me just don't want to be Bothered.
    So Please ENJOY!​

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

Re: Face Off S2 talkback

I know that whoever has to stay silent about who wins and whatever else but did anyone from the site make it on this season?

3. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

4. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

He's not on the site, but Matt Valentine is a pretty good friend of mine, and I worked with him at House of Torment in the '07 and '08 seasons, when I lived in Austin. He and his brother (my closer friend Mike) own a company called Global Fear Enterprises, and they are completely self educated.

5. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Here are my thoughts on last night. And forgive me, I don't recall all the names already.

The guy who won immunity, the witch was horrible. Just because he was immune to elimination, doesn't mean you slack off. It is gonna affect him in the long run of the show. To be honest, I didn't think that his elf was that awesome, that ghoul biker should of won that one. Thinking of which, it is funny to see Conner give the same opinion that he probably feared last season on the show. I wondered if he would make an appearance, and he did!

Also, Brea? I bet we hear something about how *insert name*'s design and it helped Brea win. It should of been the girl who made the scarecrow on her own. It was worlds better than the witch.

I liked the Scarecrow and Witch from the womans team and the Lion from the Mens team, especially the way she played out as the lion. The only thing I liked from the tinman was the mens tinman face. Everything else seemed a little MEH.

I like the preview of the season to come, especially the underwater one. However, it looks like there is gonna be some paramedics showing up because of one of the challanges. Should be an interesting season.

6. xaoslord

xaoslord Well-Known Member

The wife and I we really excited to see the new season.

We couldn't agree more about the Brea's witch not being as strong as the scarecrow. That girl asked for help several times and never got any.

I hope they learned something from these first challenges. It just seems like they missed a lot of little things.

7. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I agree completely, Satxer. I wonder if Conner will chime in here, after all he is or was a member.

8. Robert412

I was really surprised that Matt actually let the team influence his sculpt. I've known him for 10 years, and I've never known him to give in like that... And then he said that thing about being a team player, he really is PLAYING this game. Trust me, he usually does things his way... And they're usually successful.

I wasn't really impressed with any of the work on this episode. I feel like Athena accomplished nothing. I think the girls scarecrow head sculpt was amazing, but the clothes didn't work. I did like her hands.

If the girls tinman would have not had the line straight down the middle, I think it could have been a winner.

Every costume boiled down to days of work on the head, and throwing the rest together, last minute.

Can't wait til next week.

9. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

Updated FIRST Post!!! and Thread Title For Spoilers.

The odd Part is along with you guys I too agree with everything the Judges said. Except for who won the Challenge in which Case I agree with Saxter. I call this odd because if I remember in the first season the judges were making some really questionable choices. I just hope This season is better than the last and so far so good.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

So I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the first episode.

I was really glad to see them bring Conor back for the show, and to hear that he's working with Ve on the Hunger Games. It's always nice to see someone take an incredible opportunity and run with it.

I loved the witch on the women's side. They did an absolutely fantastic job on her. That sculpt definitely deserved the win, in my opinion.

I also agree with what was said about Jerry slacking off because he had immunity. I don't think he'll survive long if he has that mindset, especially combined with his condescension toward the other contestants; "kids" as he calls them, complete with finger-quotes.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the underwater challenge.

11. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I would love to grow a curvy handle bar mustache like that one guy who is not doing to well. For some reason those things make me laugh and laugh.

12. Robert412

I think it was hilarious when Nix was all, "so, we're doing steam punk, right?" and the rest were all, "no?"

Like they hadn't even discussed steam punk.

13. Robot

Robot Active Member

OK, did anyone notice the plastic surgery work mckenzie had done? She was already a stunner, but look at her now

14. trekkier

trekkier New Member

I wasn't too impressed with the witch, both scarecrows were really cool looking. The "guys" orignal drawling for the scarecrow was really really cool and scary

15. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Really? Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Looked to me that she went overboard especially on the orange tan.

16. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

Considering the theme of the Show... I thought she was really throwing herself into it... :behave

17. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

According to the description on cable, it says tonights episode is "Water World". Looks like it is gonna be the fun underwater one!

18. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

I cant wait to see all the concepts. Also I really hope the Fire truck and Ambulance was brought in just for drama. They really need a "NO MODELS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS EPISODE" tag line.

19. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

I called it! no need for Fire Truck or Ambulance! Although it did not stop them from teasing it for the next episode either.

Ok onto the decisions. I think the judges made all the Predictable decisions. again tonight. However I would have liked them to kick Jerry instead of Nix. I think Jerry is way to full of himself and needs to be brought down a peg or three. If his attitude continues then I don't think he is long for this show. He keeps trying to play it safe but in a show like this you'll get run over. You need to step it up and step out of your comfort zone. Besides that it was Jerry that did the Sculpt and That turtle could have used a bigger harder shell. Not to mention Jerry did the paint on the shell. Which the judges said was the color that did not mesh with the rest.

20. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

/\ Right with ya there. Jerry's sculpt failled right when he jumped in the water. Not just the shell, but the a bunch of the stuff. The judges shouldn't of looked at the fact that Nix paint job looked a little cartoony. Who the hell cares?! The other team had a shark in a tuxedo! The goal is to determine if it was a decent paint job regardless of cartoony or not. Jerry should of been eliminated based alone on his sculpt didn't even hold up when it first touched the water. I am not sure what the judges are doing this season.

I did see that turmoil in the other girl who helped Brea last week. I think she didn't want to help her teamate out as much this week because of all her work getting credited to the other person. But there was a lil too much drama, she could have just gave a little more help, but not did the whole thing and give someone else the credit.

21. Java

Java Sr Member

The Turtle sculpt set the "cartoony" tone from the outset.

Speaking of cartoony, Glenn Hetrick sure dialed up his "look" this season, eh?

22. Wolfie

Wolfie Sr Member

I have to agree with Jerry being who should have gone. Especially considering Ve has seen some of Nix's work outside and said it was great. Not sure what the heck that was about, other than keeping someone people obviously don't like for dramatic purposes.

23. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

Nix's bodypainting IS awesome, having seen it several times in person at the various haunter's cons. He might've been out of his element with the prosthetic work tho. I think the boys that did the lawyer shark made the poorer choices tho. I was thinking the same thing about safety & whether or not the models could breathe or function in the water.
    I work in an industry where I design costumes for stunt work & you HAVE to put safety first! Glueing a heavy sponge to someone's nose, or putting them in loose heavy clothes & throwing them in the water is a dangerous thing.. (Remember when Danny Devito almost died in that heavy penguin costume?)

24. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

I think the reason they chose Nix over Jerry is because Nix was on the Chopping block last week as well and yes although he is a fantastic Painter he did not really have all the necessary skills to win. I can only hope the same thing happens to Jerry and that next week he is on the block again and is sent home.

As for the two girls that were going at it I do think it was a little weird. Beki came off a little strong and bitter from last week and Miranda got a little sensitive after a while. I think Miranda realized that Beki did have more experience and so was trying to follow her lead but at the same time Beki was just not communicating well. Next came the I don't have to take this attitude plus the your not all that and well it just snowballed. All I can say is for the Producers it made great TV. Sometimes I think they (the producers that is) try and instigate this stuff for dramatic effect.

25. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Yeah but, the only reason Jerry wasn't on the chopping block was because he had immunity, one that I really don't see how they gave him the win for in the first place. Jerry's witch wasn't even that decent either. I just don't understand the judges this time around... They should of went with Conners choice in week 1 for the Ghoul.

26. Robert412

I've seen this somewhere before.... Oh yeah. Btvs. Season six. Tabula rasa. Guess who worked on that show...

Glenn.

I dunno if he worked on that episode. But still... C'mon, guys!

27. Java

Java Sr Member

Agreed. That immunity win was basically for a purple elf.

Big whoop.

28. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

True enough. I think on the other side of the coin that Tara is getting a bit shafted. She had a clear win Last week for her Scarecrow. Not just because it looked fantastic but she did it on her own. Then this week with her fantastic paint and save on covering the edges with that pearlescent fabric. She my have shot herself in the foot a bit when she gave Matt all the Concept credit. However I think as of right now she is the top contender.

As for Ian and RJ's Shark. If I am right they are both the noobs in the group which is something I think the judges took into consideration. They made some noob mistakes but I think their sculpt and paint and concept were competitive for the most part. Like Ian said it would have been a shame to go home over a wardrobe malfunction instead of for his make up.

P.S. I think his name is Geri not Jerry as I have been posting since his full name is actually Gerald. Unless Jerry is the normal nickname for Gerald.?. Oh well hopefully it wont be an issue for to much longer.

29. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

The ambulence was definately part of last nights. Glad to see Brea was safe after that incident. Would of sucked big time had it caused her demise.

Jerry was on the chopping block again. I've determined he is the "Frank" of this season. You remember Frank from last season, the one who everyone wanted eliminated and was on the chopping block all the time!

Yesterdays show was ok. When that rapper came out I literally said "who the *blank* is that?" I have to agree with the judges on that one with the Tiger, was real cool lookin. That one with the shoes was pretty cool too. I may have to just see if that guy(who I still don't know who it is), has the album out, as they were using that for the cover.

30. Robert412

Matt valentine... Two weeks in a row! Next week is horror, which is what his business is built on! I'm calling a three-peat!

31. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

RIght?? I had no idea either.. The challenges are ok tho.. you really do have to jobs like that in the real world, where you might have to finish a job another artist started or deal with artists you might not be familiar with, so i'll give them points there..
    They need more challenges where they have to find replacements for unusual materials or tools & there's no supply around.

32. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I definitely think the judges made the right call in sending Miranda home. She's got some talent, but she's SO young and as Glenn said, she just doesn't seem ready to deal with the pressure she's experiencing at this level of competition. I hope she sticks with it though, and uses this experience to strive to develop her skills further.

Like Satxer, I really liked the concept and execution of the team with the tiger-style paint. I thought it was really intriguing and turned out quite lovely.

33. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

I loved this show last year, and again, love watching it this year. Jerry is the guy that will get you eliminated. His attitude sucks. He can manage with the challenges, but like someone said, he plays it safe. He does just enough to skate by, but it's usually his partner who gets axed. The album cover challenge, yeah, some of those just blew. I think he picked the one with the basketball player and the shoes? The shoe half...freaky, it was like the woman disappeared, but the basketball player, I feel was very bland, and uninspired. There were a few others that I felt were outstanding, like the woman with the chakras painted on her reaching for the sun. It's amazing to see what they can pull off in a few days.

34. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I agree with what has already been said. Jerry will likely be gone very soon.

35. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Loving this show, though I feel I was impressed more right off the bat in the first season.
    I too agree that Jerry's time on the show is in jeapordy!

36. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I wonder if Jerry was intended to be a "ringer"? He does seem to be the kiss of death for any partner, but it's only the third episode. I too thought his work on the turtle was the cause of most of the problems. Nix's paint on the front started out cartoony and bright, but it looked like he muted the colors by the time of the judging.

Anyone else think Athena looked disappointed to be safe for body painting challenge?

From what I've seen, the girls seem stronger than the boys this season.

37. Robert412

I didn't think I liked nix, then I spoke with him, very briefly... Turns out, he's a good dude.

38. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member

Team.
    Challenges.
    Suck.

Individual challenges give us, the viewing public, more talent to see. Yeah, it may take more time for the 'Reveal' in each show, but thats what I would rather see: More Makeup; Less Dramaqueenery.

39. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Well, the thing is when it comes to most jobs they'd be doing as a professional effects makeup artist, they'll be working as part of a team so team challenges are more realistic in a lot of ways. It lets the judges see how they function as part of a team which is, I think, an unspoken point that they look for in these challenges.

Let's take the underwater challenge as an example. Nix, unfortunately, was hamstrung by the fact that he didn't want to argue with Jerry and they tried to be very hands-off with regard to their contributions to the project. The winning team, the basslet, showed a LOT of cooperation and working together between the two teammates which best achieved what the judges were looking for.

40. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

I think the Judges are also watching the in shop footage more than the contestants may realize. So all the bickering and back talk is known about when it comes time to figure out who is working well and who is not. I just have to laugh then when the are ready to knock each other out but the judges come in and they are all like, No everything is fine we are working good.

For the work that was produced I think the judges made the correct decisions in last weeks Episode. I also think it was funny the the winner was the guy that got the job no one wanted. I too was thinking what a nightmare that flat would be to paint but then after I thought about it that was the best one as I think with it's busy nature it lent itself to be the easiest to blend into.

All I can say is I am enjoying this season so far and I really hope it does well so we can get many more in the Future!

41. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Trying to catch up on these through the site, seeing as how I don't have cable -_-. I watched the Oz one and wasn't too impressed. Especially with those lion paws...GEEZ! What was that? Though, the guys' lion was executed far better than the girls'. But, for the time that they have to create such elaborate pieces, you can't really say too much, I suppose.

42. Robert412

Matt valentine and Athena Zhe had martinis at Trudy's in Austin, today.

43. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

OMG! For reals?! We are becoming TMZ:lol

No offense, just busting your chops.

44. Robert412

I'm glad you got my intent. I was worried for a sec.

;)

45. Draphin

Draphin Sr Member

Ok again I kinda think the Judges had it right tonight with a few notes. They really should have given Ian and Beki the prize for tonight. I just could not pick between the two.

I also was pretty torn between who should go home. Of course I wanted Jerry just because but then again. I am starting to think the editors are not doing him any favors when it comes to depicting him on the screen. I will say Brea F'd up when she put on those side teeth. I think the rest of her makeup was amazing. She just fell in love with her stuff so much she could no longer be objective about it and see what she was doing wrong. I do applaud Athena for stepping out of her comfort zone but girl this is a competition. Play to your strengths. I too think Jerry just got caught up with doing to much but he was also a bit arrogant and it bit him in the keester. Hopefully this will wake him up!

46. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I hate Jerry, he seems to think he's so much better then everyone else.

I saw Nix and Athenas work on Facebook and to be honest, I don't know why they were even chosen to be on the show. They're both primarily body painters and Nix has done a few prosthetics, but barely. Athena just does body paint for playboy bunnies haha. I'm sure there were other applicants who actually had a lot moreskill behind making prosthetics. It's like Glen said tonight, it's a show about making special effects makeup.

I wish they had sent Athena home instead of the other girl. Unless it's a body paint challenge next week, I bet $5 she's gone.

It's wicked that they've had Greg Nicotero and now Tom Savini on the show. I'd love to see Rick Baker this season or if they do a 3rd season.

47. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just been watching the reruns and Brea tried that teeth on the side of the head thing there and got called out on it. You wouldn't think she would have doen that again. One hit wonder perhaps.

Loving this season so far though. Jerry has got to go too. Always in the
    bottom of the pack. He seems so full of himself. At least that is how he is being portrayed. All in the editing I guess.

48. Robert412

Yeah, I said the same about brea. Just couldnt place when she did it.

49. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Yeah Jerry is great at stating how amateur everyone else is, and yet he is always in the bottom. I would be very surprised to see him make it to the end.

50. Robert412

Talent wise, I think jerry is middle of the pack. I don't think he'll be eliminated until everyone under him is taken out. The monkey wrench is when the people less talented than him (read, less experienced) throw out something spectacular, and stick around for another week.