F#$! - My MR falcon Headlight just went out...

Jedi Dade

Master Member
On a whim I turned on my MR falcon electronics and Blam the typical Falcon malfunction of the burned out headlight is there... It had owrked perfectly for a Long time... now Boom - nothing... to make it worse this is my #12 signature edition... Ugghhh Does anyone know how this might be fixed. Short of buildign a time machine and getting anthoer one...

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Re: F#$K - My MR falcon Headlight just went out...

Are they LED's or lights? It all depends on how they wired it up. If they properly lit the LED's, then they should last almost forever. It may be a faulty connection, maybe a bad switch. If you can get into it to examine it, you may get lucky. I unfortunately don't have one, so I am just giving you my best guess.

Good luck with it!

Dave

Ya know... Ligjhts (for me anyway) are a cool added bonus.

But it's really all about the fact that you STILL own the VERY best studio scale model ever mass produced at a fraction of the cost it would take to scratch-build...

Go get drunk and commiserate, then get back to loving the hell out of the model -- with or without lights! ;)

Here is a thread from rebelscum with someone who had the problem as well. A lot of ideas offered there.

Rebelscum Thread

Also, in that thread, Bryan Ono from Master Replicas had this to say:

eFXBryan said:
Philip_Wise said:
Bryan Ono should step in here as this is something he should know all about.

Gee thanks Philip!

We were very careful with the electronics on the Falcon, since because of the construction, you would not be able to change the LED's once assembled. Each set of electronics were carefully tested (before and after) and all of the solder joints were supposed to be checked carefully to make sure they were "shiny and smooth" to ensure a good secure connection. Also, there are the proper resistors inline to control the current. So, unfortunately, I do not have an answer to why some of the lights are going out. As stated above, the LED's should not burn out, since the minimum life was spec'ed at 10,000 hours.

As for the specific problem, here are a couple things to try. Even with the ON/OFF switch, if you kept the adapter plugged in, there could be a little trickle of current going into the Falcon from the base. However, this is not enough to light the LED's. In this case, corrosion can builb up on the connection. So try:

1. Spinning the Falcon on the base. Sometimes, this will "scrape' off the corrosion.
2. Remove the Falcon completely from the base and clean off the connection post and receptacle.
3. Ensure that the spring that was included is on the male connector. This helps to secure the connection.
4. Test and replace the Adapter if necessary. The spec is 12VDC, Center Hot, Switching adapter.

Hope this helps. And just for your information, the X-Wing we are working on, we are trying to make all of the LED's replaceable. We are trying our best to engineer it so that parts are removable to have access the LED's, yet invisible when assembled.

Bryan

Good luck! I hope some of this may help!

would it help if I got out and pushed? :confused thats sucks, is it possible to open her up and see whats wrong?

just a thought but why not just paint them both black and have no headlights. At least it would look better than just one side lit (or you can crack it open and see what makes it tick!).

Will

One alternative -although sucky- add some laserblast weathering around the headlight and then you can assume the light has been blasted. I know. I said it wasn't the best idea.

Sweet

Nope - welcome to my world :(

Left mandible, right?

Mine too.

Let me see... as I complained about it back then it was.... ON.. OFF... ON... OFF.... OUT for good. :( I chose to just leave the lights off on this beastie.

Last edited:

Speaking of the Falcon...they have the replacement plaques at MR now. Just got mine today in the mail!

No worries mate, you're not alone. I've had two so far that had lights go out and fully expect the one I have now or the other one I have with Dean to probably suffer the same fate sooner or later. Really doesn't bother me though, lights were just a novelty to me in the first place and I didn't use them after the first couple of weeks much anyway.

As a side note, it would be of interest if Barry or someone else who knows could shed some light on how the electronics were done on the inside of the bird. The problem sounds to me like the LED's are getting too much current causing them to pop after a short time of use. I don't know whether the power supply cuts the voltage down to the proper level or if particular LED's have resistors on them. If there are resistors then it could be an issue of the wrong ones being used in the factory. Doesn't really matter, but it would be interesting to know what a possible cause might be.

What replacement plaques? How do I get one?

Check out this thread on the MR forums:

http://masterreplicas.com/forum/showthread.php?p=42333#post42333

Also..pretty sure Bryan mentioned that the proper resistors were used somewhere. Let me see if I can find that info....

EDIT : Found it on the Rebelscum Forums. Here's the thread: http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB27&Number=3277802

Here's the info from Bryan in one of the posts:

Philip_Wise wrote:
Bryan Ono should step in here as this is something he should know all about.

Gee thanks Philip!

We were very careful with the electronics on the Falcon, since because of the construction, you would not be able to change the LED's once assembled. Each set of electronics were carefully tested (before and after) and all of the solder joints were supposed to be checked carefully to make sure they were "shiny and smooth" to ensure a good secure connection. Also, there are the proper resistors inline to control the current. So, unfortunately, I do not have an answer to why some of the lights are going out. As stated above, the LED's should not burn out, since the minimum life was spec'ed at 10,000 hours.

As for the specific problem, here are a couple things to try. Even with the ON/OFF switch, if you kept the adapter plugged in, there could be a little trickle of current going into the Falcon from the base. However, this is not enough to light the LED's. In this case, corrosion can builb up on the connection. So try:

1. Spinning the Falcon on the base. Sometimes, this will "scrape' off the corrosion.
2. Remove the Falcon completely from the base and clean off the connection post and receptacle.
3. Ensure that the spring that was included is on the male connector. This helps to secure the connection.
4. Test and replace the Adapter if necessary. The spec is 12VDC, Center Hot, Switching adapter.

Hope this helps. And just for your information, the X-Wing we are working on, we are trying to make all of the LED's replaceable. We are trying our best to engineer it so that parts are removable to have access the LED's, yet invisible when assembled.

Bryan

Last edited:

So there are resistors in line. Well that explains it then, it appears that some mistakes were made in the factory as far as the resistors go. That's the only explanation for so many people having LED's go out after just a short while. If it were just a couple of people I might say it was a bad LED, but with this many(had two myself) it would have to be an improper resistor causing them to pop. They're getting too much current and simply burning out.

I'm sure MR was very careful in the design, but the factory workers in China more than likely aren't. They could have very easily been provided with a batch of the incorrect type and unless the workers doing the assembly knew what they were looking at they would have never noticed.

Last edited:

If it was a QA issue then it wouldn't just be the left LED... Since its always the left one I'm betting it is a design flaw of some kind... I serioulsy doubt its a corosion thing either since some of the lights work... if it was a problem with the connector they'd all not work...

The mandible lights were never a big thing for me but for the price I paid I want every bell and whistle of the sucker to work properly... IS that too much to ask... As someone mentione d I mat mask the other headlight to make it look "on purpose" but "winking" its kinda crappy...

No I don't want to sell it...

Yes its the best studio scale model I've ever owned... even with the less then optimal factory paint-job.

Jedi Dade

I'm sure parts were laid out, put in bins or whatever for their particular area on the Falcon. Likely one "bin", let's say for the left mandible, was stocked with the wrong resistor. It's not likely that any design flaw would cause the light to go out as there are no moving parts inside the ship that could cause a loss of connection.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back