F-14 Nose Section Model / Disply

Boba Debt

Master Member
I'm finally ready to add the large scale models to our collection

For a long time I have had a display concept that incorporates a large scale F-14 on the cat ready to launch with some addition models of the nose section, engine and possibly an ordinance display

I love the look of the models when everything is opened up so you can see the extra details but it’s not realistic

Plus I don’t want the have to mess with a 24” model to see the details of the cockpit or to have to open panels to see the AVI / Gun bays and the Radar rack

I’m starting to narrow my search for a “Launch” model so I need to also consider the Nose Section model since I want them to be the same scale

Currently I’m thinking 1:32 but have not ruled out 1:48

I want the nose section to have a much open detail as possible

I have been looking at the different F-14 models that have been built by many different people and can’t figure out what details are added via scratch built processes and which are part of the original models

All seem to have some common details such as open nose cones and boarding ladder but other have open panels that reveal equipment bays

So if you have a lot of experience with the various models please post yu opinion of what would be the most suited for my concept

Thanks

I'm finally ready to add the large scale models to our collection

For a long time I have had a display concept that incorporates a large scale F-14 on the cat ready to launch with some addition models of the nose section, engine and possibly an ordinance display

I love the look of the models when everything is opened up so you can see the extra details but it’s not realistic

Plus I don’t want the have to mess with a 24” model to see the details of the cockpit or to have to open panels to see the AVI / Gun bays and the Radar rack

I’m starting to narrow my search for a “Launch” model so I need to also consider the Nose Section model since I want them to be the same scale

Currently I’m thinking 1:32 but have not ruled out 1:48

I want the nose section to have a much open detail as possible

I have been looking at the different F-14 models that have been built by many different people and can’t figure out what details are added via scratch built processes and which are part of the original models

All seem to have some common details such as open nose cones and boarding ladder but other have open panels that reveal equipment bays

So if you have a lot of experience with the various models please post yu opinion of what would be the most suited for my concept

Thanks
The Trumpeter 1/32 tomcat comes with the options of open nose cone and other panels. Tamiya, Revell and Trumpeter all come with the option of the ladder.

AMK 1/48 has a lot of options built in

Here is a comparison of the AMK compared to the Tamiya 1/48

was initially going to buy the kit when it was first announced but then got my F-14 ‘fix’ with the Tamiya release so I decided not to bother with the AMK kit but when one turned up for sale second hand at a very good price it was too much of a bargain to step away from, and it would be nice to compare it to Tamiya’s kit.

Some initial observations about the kit when compared to the Tamiya kit are:

• The option for flaps and slats on the wings
  • The position of the wings is fixed – you need to choose one of three positions early on in the build – the wings do not sweep like the Tamiya kit
  • Canopy detail is better with the A/C ducting along the canopy rims
  • The nose cone is separate and one piece – no need to worry about awkward ghost seams
  • Surface detail is nice but not quite as refined as the Tamiya kit
  • Clear parts for the Nav and positioning lights on the wing tips, tails and fuselage
  • Different options for the intake rams – Tamiya’s are fixed in the up position.
  • There is a PE sheet but it’s not that great.

and here is a side by side build of the AMK vs Tamiya

The biggest difference seems top be this...

It is therefore important to note that AMK provides all the other part to display the tomcat on the catapult (wings forwards, slat and flaps in takeoff, nose gear compressed, launch bar extended, …) but does not provide pilots. It’s a small details, but you have never seen a aircraft on the catapult with nobody on boards…
On the other hand, the Tamiya tomcat cannot be displayed on the catapult (no flaps, no slats, no compressed gear and no launch bar extended) and is more meant to be displayed parked (or in flight)

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool display idea

If I understood correctly, there will be a full 1/32 F-14 in launch mode, and then you will have various cutaway subsections separate in the same scale, or will those subsections be in a larger/smaller scale?

i.e. are you going to cut up a second, or even third 1/32 to get the other "cutaway" display parts?

Yes, I'll use a second model for the stand alone displays but they won't be cuta-a-way models.

The Forward Fuselage model will be the same scale in low vis paint with all of the doors and nose cone removed and additional upgrade kits added such as the Wolfpack Arieal Refuel Probe

Then I'll have an Engine display with both engines on a trailer and I have the ordance on display in racks

The Launch model might become a Ready 5 model sitting on the elevator since 3D Bases is getting ready to release a 1:32 scale elevator diorama

Shoud be fun

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back