Exoskeleton Replica [Need Help]

biotech97

I am trying to build an exoskeleton prop like the ones the soldiers use in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. I am planning to wear it at a music festival, but also on Halloween. The problem is that I need to know what material I would use and how I would start and finish the building process. I have already gone a drawn up some designs as you can see:

image1.jpegimage2.jpeg

If anyone could be of assistance, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hello and welcome to the RPF!

Looking at images from the game, I'd say you're best bet for building the frame of the exoskeleton would be PVC pipe. It's cheap, sturdy and can be bought at any home depot/lowe's type store. PVC pipe is the pipe used in lawn irrigation (sprinklers). It's also easy to cut, paint and glue/modify (which is great if you are new to prop building).

Another option would be electrical conduit pipe. It's similar to PVC pipe but its even sturdier but more expensive.

I'd also think about what your vest will be. You might want to look at police tactical vests (fairly cheap) or a catcher's vest from a sporting goods store. The exoskeleton will be heavy depending on what you use. Stick with plastics (in my opinion) and EVA foam to keep the weight down to a minimum. PM if you have any ?'s about PVC pipe.

Good luck!

-Ryan

Last edited:
Hi Ryan! Thank you so much for sending help! But the only thing is that I want the parts to be more squared instead of being round like PVC pipe would make it seem like. Any suggestions?

If you want something quick and simple, probably go with foam. Lots of examples of that on this forum. This also leaves room for growth if you have the patience, before you are forced to move on to actual model making, 3D printing, CNC machining, and sheet metal fabrication to achieve higher quality.

Here are some examples of foam cyber-exoskeletons from my favorite builder:
http://twohornsunited.deviantart.com/gallery/

The simplest way to start is drawing out the sketches on paper with basic drafting tools, cutting out the outlines and using the outlines to then cut shapes out of foam. After you have a 2D shape cut out, you can eyeball the cuts from other dimensions (front shape, side shape, etc) or use more paper outlines to cut it precisely. Foam is cheap, so you can prototype as you go instead of creating separate throw-away models just for checking size.

Before starting I would download the game model (since it's available in this case) and print out top, front, back, and all other relevant views, with various parts zoomed in.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back