Exedge/Greg Parker

Originally posted by synasp@Feb 10 2006, 09:36 PM
If you start a project, you sure as hell better 1) deliver products or 2) refund money. You are the one taking the risk in producing a run. You extend this risk onto yourself thinking you will make off better at the end (for profit or fame). In a Free Market, no one forces you to do this. Greg willingly started a project, then screwed everyone over. It is his personal responsibility to 1) deliver products or 2) refund money.

What the hell happened to personal accountability?. It has nothing to do with following corporate practice, or selling on E-Bay, or selling to a buddy. You have a personal obligation to fulfill your end of the bargain. Otherwise you have imposed costs onto others. You have violated the fundamental charter of society (willing social cooperation).

Jim, you're a nice guy for empathizing with Greg, but it is no one's right to make excuses for him. I hope this Stockholm Syndrome wont spread.

Personal accountability, guys. Murderers and rapists don't have it. I hope we do.

Bears repeating. Sounds like Greg gambled, loss and is expecting everyone else to pay for his loss. I can empathize with giving him time to get a loan or something, but people expect to get something when they pay money. Otherwise, you are dealing with a thief. As it's been pointed out, there was nothing to stop him from slowly paying back the people he owed which he apparently has chosen NOT to do.

Originally posted by gavidoc@Feb 10 2006, 09:51 PM
In a nutshell, we were crusaders who hated to see the little guy getting screwed by vendors who would charge a 100% markup.
[snapback]1181375[/snapback]​

:rolleyes Yeah right. :rolleyes

So is it time to put a halt to the projects where money is provided up front.

How about an RPF rule about that?

Would seem to halt these types of problems.

Sure some projects might suffer, but if you want to run a project, you need to be willing to front the money.

Roman seems to do alright, and Rylo, and any number of other folks. Frankly if you aren't financially sound to do a run on your own, then you probably shouldn't.

If you don't have it, don't sell it. Shouldn't that the mantra around here?

http://faultgame.com/images/game1.wav

I know I said I would no longer post to this thread but I do find it interesting that
someone who owes a good group of people money is out spending over $160.00

on this

[image]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1429/e519mr.jpg[/image]

refuses to refund money to folks on this board

"As part of the agreement to prevent a lawsuit, the biggest part involved NO mention of it (the letter) to any prop collecting community. That's why no one ever heard from Greg. That's why he disappeared. LFL was threatening a lawsuit of a HUGE sum of money if Greg notified the community. He didn't even tell me he got a C&D."

So, now that the prop community KNOWS about the C&D, I guess LFL is going to sue. Sucks to be Greg. 3 years with nary a worry of a lawsuit and all of a sudden. BAM. The C&D is public knowledge. Now what?

Originally posted by NEKROFANATIC@Feb 11 2006, 01:23 AM
So, now that the prop community KNOWS about the C&D, I guess LFL is going to sue. Sucks to be Greg. 3 years with nary a worry of a lawsuit and all of a sudden. BAM. The C&D is public knowledge. Now what?
[snapback]1181518[/snapback]​

:lol Yeah and hopefully gavidoc's name is listed on the Suit. :lol

Apollo and Nekrofanatic,

Please see this portion of a post to Treadwell before jumping the gun.

He didn't even tell me he got a C&D.

Yet, when on the phone a guy you call a friend tells you that the license holder isn't happy with him, he gets a call from a LFL lawyer and he isn't supposed to talk about it, you put 2 and 2 together and don't get 5.

Originally posted by gavidoc@Feb 11 2006, 02:41 AM

As part of the agreement to prevent a lawsuit, the biggest part involved NO mention of it (the letter) to any prop collecting community.

That has to be the most absurd thing I've read yet in six years here.... :confused

You're trying to tell us that a company worth hundreds of millions strong-armed a guy with a few thousands of dollars worth of goods from talking to some Internet geeks...

Yeah, I totally buy that. :lol :lol :lol

Feels like:

BBob.jpg

"All is well. They said they'd kick his dog. They said they'd put hot water in his goldfish bowl. They said they'd leave all the lights in his house on when he wasn't home. They said they'd send 30 pizzas to his house. That is why you should not worry about your money."

Sheesh. :lol

Russ

Originally posted by micdavis@Feb 10 2006, 11:37 PM
So is it time to put a halt to the projects where money is provided up front.

How about an RPF rule about that?

Would seem to halt these types of problems.

Sure some projects might suffer, but if you want to run a project, you need to be willing to front the money.

Roman seems to do alright, and Rylo, and any number of other folks. Frankly if you aren't financially sound to do a run on your own, then you probably shouldn't.

If you don't have it, don't sell it. Shouldn't that the mantra around here?
[snapback]1181441[/snapback]​

-Interesting idea- perhaps a separate thread about this concept is in order. I would prefer that method, but I guess a second option would be- in order to ask for money up front, before money is exchanged, all investing participants must formally agree to become "partners" in the project so that all participants including the project manager take equal risk of loss if the project fails or is ceased by external parties.

Originally posted by Darth Bill+Feb 11 2006, 11:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Bill @ Feb 11 2006, 11:08 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-gavidoc
@Feb 11 2006, 02:41 AM

As part of the agreement to prevent a lawsuit, the biggest part involved NO mention of it (the letter) to any prop collecting community.

That has to be the most absurd thing I've read yet in six years here.... :confused

You're trying to tell us that a company worth hundreds of millions strong-armed a guy with a few thousands of dollars worth of goods from talking to some Internet geeks...

Russ
[snapback]1181694[/snapback]​
[/b]

Just typing what I was told Russ.

I am collecting information on this matter and ALSO suggest that everyone
get their own information together and add it to the IC3 complaint form found here.

http://www.ic3.gov/

https://complaint.ic3.gov/

If you have been a victim of this individual, please check your records for the
following

Canceled checks
Certified or other mail receipts
Chatroom or newsgroup text
Credit card receipts
Envelopes (if you received items via FedEx, UPS, or U.S. Mail)
Facsimiles
Money order receipts
Pamphlets or brochures
Phone bills
Printed or preferably electronic copies of emails (if printed, include full email header information)
Printed or preferably electronic copies of web pages
Wire receipts

If anyone has questions please feel free
to email me at pentagon.dps1@yahoo.com

Take care

Ed

Originally posted by Darth Bill+Feb 11 2006, 10:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Bill @ Feb 11 2006, 10:08 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-gavidoc
@Feb 11 2006, 02:41 AM

Feels like:

BBob.jpg

"All is well. They said they'd kick his dog. They said they'd put hot water in his goldfish bowl. They said they'd leave all the lights in his house on when he wasn't home. They said they'd send 30 pizzas to his house. That is why you should not worry about your money."

Sheesh. :lol

Russ
[snapback]1181694[/snapback]​
[/b]

Now, that's funny.

Originally posted by gavidoc@Feb 11 2006, 09:47 AM
Apollo and Nekrofanatic,

Please see this portion of a post to Treadwell before jumping the gun.

He didn't even tell me he got a C&D.

Yet, when on the phone a guy you call a friend tells you that the license holder isn't happy with him, he gets a call from a LFL lawyer and he isn't supposed to talk about it, you put 2 and 2 together and don't get 5.
[snapback]1181682[/snapback]​

Yeah I read that already. :unsure

I liked the touching part you wrote before that on how you were going through your things and decided to write him with a Pic of your newborn and how your wife was not even Pregnant blah blah blah.

Save the drama for your Momma.. :rolleyes

And somewhere a desert misses it's fool :p

Hugs and Kisses.. :rolleyes

I think it's admirable that Ed is getting involved and taking time to research this for the community. Thank you.

..................................................................................................................

A thought about this thread. All Playground logic aside, this is simple.

I don't care if a prop maker or dealer was told to stop sending out merchandise by the burning bush; refunds can and must be placed.

Rylo

NOTE TO NEWBIES:

Prop collecting is not a crapshoot but there are bandits in the woods. Be an educated consumer and do a little homework prior to handing over your hard earned cash. Reputable dealers should not mind if you check-up on them. Ask for references, talk to other members, etc.

Rylo

Yes.. To Rylo you listen..

I also think Ed is one stand-up Guy for trying to help out People who have been burned.

Thanks Ed... :)

Originally posted by Treadwell@Feb 10 2006, 09:17 PM
Rodann, there is no "slant" or "distort(ing) things when they are angry". It's perfectly understandable to confuse "already religious" and "recently religious" after three friggin' years.

"After" three years? More like before. :unsure I'm not talking about a deterioration of the facts, I'm talking about the sheer inability to pay attention to them in the FIRST place. I saw this three years ago, and got fed up with the misquoting, so I gave up trying to correct people. A lot of people here, only "cherry pick" what others post.

.......Like recently- I posted to a thread, talking about SG1, saying how I missed the old team, missed Showtime, and that it just wasn't the same. I said I didn't like the new guy from Farscape, and how I never watched the show because of that. Not one, but TWO people jumped on me with "how can you not like the show if you never even watched it". WTH? I said "Farscape" guy. Farscape's the show I never watched. :rolleyes

Just to clarify, several people, in several different threads on TDH as well as here, have used those words to assume (as well as SAY) that Greg was essentially "born again", and they blamed him for using religion as an EXCUSE. Like he found God, became religious, then decided to screw people BECAUSE of it. THAT was never said. In other words, they took the "he got religious in his conversation about his sudden hatred of this hobby" (I'm making that sentence up) , and ran with it, ending up repeating "he found religion" like a mantra. It's like saying he "hurt his back", then hearing everyone say "he broke his back".

And applying what I said, to Gav or anyone else, shows a skewed change of facts, which is what I was simply pointing out. Incorrect fingerpointing and such. Don't blame someone for something they didn't say. That can escalate to the point of a full blown witch hunt, naming all the wrong people for all the wrong facts.

Moreover, I remember the "recent" aspect of that thread, too. You were a participant in that thread. I don't recall you making this correction at the time.

[snapback]1181337[/snapback]​

"Participant" is a bit of an overstatement- I posted maybe once, THEN the misquoting happened. And how can I "correct" something that I never caught? It happened after I posted, didn't it? Otherwise, how could people take what I said out of context? I never read that thread again- I quit the RPF around that time. When I did catch it, I did try to correct it. But nobody caught it. Nobody cared. They were on a mission. Like I said above, I got fed up with correcting people. They want to run with their mantra, then go ahead. :unsure

Like I said before, Greg wasn't a Jedi135 or whomever else he's listed alongside. He cared too much. He was an overly sensitive guy, who dwelled on things, took things way too personally, and let things get under his skin. It wasn't fair to attack him at the time, when people didn't even know the REASON he fell off the planet. Personally, I was worried he was suicidal from what I was hearing, and the fact that he wouldn't talk to me didn't help. The more people attacked him, the more I worried he'd go over the edge.

And again, I haven't even heard from him in three years. Does he owe me anything? Did I give him money? No. I'm a frickin friend, and he hasn't so much as made a PEEP in my direction in three years. Several messages, emails, and at least two handwritten notes left in his front door asking if he's even ALIVE........... have all gone unanswered. I don't know if he's afraid to get me involved, or what.

I just find it funny that people here seem to have given up on going after Jedi135 (a former friend who actually DOES owe me) when he owes people here so much more, but instead go after Greg so rabidly. Like going after the smaller guy is somehow making an example out of everyone else. I just don't get it. Doesn't Tim owe people here something like $20,000 or more? HUNDREDS per person?? He screwed over guys like Luuke and Fugazi for THOUSANDS, too. I know he owed Jeff's shop over $17,000. And Corey's (Greg's old job) shop over $5,000. And left bronze scope castings at a foundry, leaving THEM high and dry.

Where's the Jedi135 thread? When I pointed out the $20, $50 or $100 Greg owes to people, I was just making a comparison. I'm asking why you guys picked him to make an example of. Way too much sarcasm coming from the Mods to make anything clear, though.

Originally posted by Rylo@Feb 11 2006, 12:18 PM
I think it's admirable that Ed is getting involved and taking time to research this for the community. Thank you.

..................................................................................................................

I don't care if a prop maker or dealer was told to stop sending out merchandise by the burning bush; refunds can and must be placed.

Rylo

NOTE TO NEWBIES:

Prop collecting is not a crapshoot but there are bandits in the woods. Be an educated consumer and do a little homework prior to handing over your hard earned cash. Reputable dealers should not mind if you check-up on them. Ask for references, talk to other members, etc.

Rylo
[snapback]1181798[/snapback]​

This is good advice, Rylo. Unfortunately, it wouldn't have helped in this case (or many others, actually. Based on the stories, Exedge was a good vendor before this. Before he went ghost on everyone, would any of his previous customers have given him less than stellar marks? It doesn't sound like they would have. Research is definitely worth the effort, but it's not a sure fire way to expose the bad guys.

I actually think that micdavis has got a good idea, and it should be explored. If you don't have it, don't sell it. Period.

I have no dog in this fight, so take my opinion for what it's worth....but I fail to see how one can justify/condone the taking of money and not delivering promised product....no matter how good the intentions of the seller were at the time.

From a fundamental perspective of trust, it's just wrong.....no matter what the extenuating circumstances were. If he was operating on too slim a margin...he should've upped the price.....then the wallets decide if the item is worth buying. Otherwise, don't offer the item for sale at all....

I can understand the gravity of getting a C & D from LFL....but LFL won't sue him for sending out cheques, now would they?

Originally posted by Darkknight0667+Feb 11 2006, 01:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darkknight0667 @ Feb 11 2006, 01:16 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Rylo
@Feb 11 2006, 12:18 PM

Rylo

NOTE TO NEWBIES:

Rylo
[snapback]1181798[/snapback]​

This is good advice, Rylo. Unfortunately, it wouldn't have helped in this case (or many others, actually. Based on the stories, Exedge was a good vendor before this. Before he went ghost on everyone, would any of his previous customers have given him less than stellar marks? It doesn't sound like they would have. Research is definitely worth the effort, but it's not a sure fire way to expose the bad guys.

I actually think that micdavis has got a good idea, and it should be explored. If you don't have it, don't sell it. Period.
[snapback]1181843[/snapback]​
[/b]

My advice wasn't given as gospel or a cure-all.
It has; however, served me well and suspect it may work for others...

I believe your suggestion is heart felt but sadly it's simply a fluffy, feel-good idea that can only lead to a false sense of security. Crooks will always lie and say they have something in hand and ready to ship. It does no good to require them to "Say" they have it in hand. They will tell you exactly what you want to hear and then blame flood, famine and death on why you never got it. This will still leave us with a debate over who said and did what.

This is simple.

Rules are followed by good, honest people, not crooks. You can't regulate integrity and that's what this boils down to. I wish we could. Your idea would certainly work, then.

The best we can hope to be are educated consumers.

If an otherwise reputable dealer flakes out of the blue, it's sad but certainly not the norm so checking out your seller is still a safe course of action and all we can do till Pre-crime comes together.

Rylo

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back