Excelsior studio model

KLINGONSNIPER

Would anyone happen to know who has the excelsior, the Enterprise B or the Lakota studio models sold at Christies auction?

Thanks
Eric Bryan

Last edited:
Hmmm... IDK if they'd release that information publicly, unless the person were maybe interviewed by a Trek magazine or fan site, or if they allowed said model(s) to be used in the traveling Star Trek Exhibit.

It's also the Excelsior. It was sold as Lakota as that was the last time the model was modified for filming before they went to CGI. I believe it's in the hands of a private collector.

The lineage of the ship is a bit convoluted. The Trek III Excelsior was in TNG for a few seasons unmodified except for the registry numbers (Hood, Repulse), then she got a new bridge and area in front of the hanger bay on the secondary hull (they got rid of the restaurant style dome there and the big impulse deflection crystal) for Trek VI. For Generations, the Enterprise B mods added to the ship were intended to be temporary so they could be pulled off afterwards, but it turned out they were attached more permanently than intended, so the ship remained that way. It got marked up as the Lakota for one DS:9 episode.

A new Excelsior model was built for Trek productions by Greg Jein and that one was first used on the Voyager episode "Flashback". For a while, Greg was offering unlit, built copies of it for sale through the Paramount store I believe, at least until the store folded.

For Generations, the Enterprise B mods added to the ship were intended to be temporary so they could be pulled off afterwards, but it turned out they were attached more permanently than intended, so the ship remained that way. It got marked up as the Lakota for one DS:9 episode.

That's unfortunate, as I always thought the ship looked best as the Excelsior before that "wedge" got added to its formerly very round and streamlined hull. In terms of in-universe design it was a nice addition for the Enterprise B so that we could see some foreshadowing of the progression from rounded to angular shapes that would culminate in the Enterprise D, but on its own from a purely aesthetic standpoint it's clearly grafted on and I think detracts from the beauty of the piece.

Just my opinion though...

That's unfortunate, as I always thought the ship looked best as the Excelsior before that "wedge" got added to its formerly very round and streamlined hull. In terms of in-universe design it was a nice addition for the Enterprise B so that we could see some foreshadowing of the progression from rounded to angular shapes that would culminate in the Enterprise D, but on its own from a purely aesthetic standpoint it's clearly grafted on and I think detracts from the beauty of the piece.

Just my opinion though...

I always thought the person who could afford to buy it could afford to have the pros change it back to the Excelsior, even with the damage removing the skirt may cause.

Personally all I wanted was:

The Lakota-Then turned back to Excelsior

Enterprise A

Enterpise E

Well, not all. Just my top 3 by far.

Ah yes, I remember it like it was 2006. :D

DSC07133.jpg

Personally all I wanted was:

The Lakota-Then turned back to Excelsior

Enterprise A

Enterpise E

Well, not all. Just my top 3 by far.
The only one I ever wanted was the Ambassador Class studio model, complete with the refit (extra shuttle bay). I even like the slightly-lowered nacelles they did to it ready for another on-screen appearance that never happened.

Karl, is there anything Trek or astronomy related that you do not know? Awesome pic.

So we got a Trek Trivia person. Well let's see how good you really are.

No Star Trek Fan has ever gotten this.

What is James T. Kirk's original middle initial???? It ain't T.

No cheating. Ya know it or you don't.

Beautiful photos of the Lakota! In fact that's the best I've ever seen that refit look. You really caught the aztecing in a good light.
I don't suppose you took any of the Ambassador model? Can't recall what names were on it when it sold.

ALAS I could only shoot photos of the items that were displayed in the Rockefeller Center concourse. The bulk of the Star Trek items were in the Christies' showroom across the street and NO photography was allowed! :cry

However I do have somebody else's pictures in my files. Let me know if these are yours if you want me to take them down.

ambassador1.jpg

ambassador2.jpg

ambassador3.jpg

ambassador4.jpg

ambassador5.jpg

ambassador6.jpg

ambassador7.jpg

ambassador8.jpg

ambassador9.jpg

ambassador10.jpg

ambassador11.jpg

ambassador12.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back