Prop Store

Excelsior studio model

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by KLINGONSNIPER, Dec 6, 2011.

1. KLINGONSNIPER

KLINGONSNIPER New Member

Would anyone happen to know who has the excelsior, the Enterprise B or the Lakota studio models sold at Christies auction?

Thanks
    Eric Bryan

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. BolianAdmiral

BolianAdmiral New Member

Hmmm... IDK if they'd release that information publicly, unless the person were maybe interviewed by a Trek magazine or fan site, or if they allowed said model(s) to be used in the traveling Star Trek Exhibit.

3. simonwaters

simonwaters Active Member

the enterprise-b is the lakota. the model was relabeld for ds9.

4. Search4

Search4 Active Member

Being somewhat of a student of the location of the Enterprises, its apparently at sciencefictionarchives.com

Enterprise-B

5. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

It's also the Excelsior. It was sold as Lakota as that was the last time the model was modified for filming before they went to CGI. I believe it's in the hands of a private collector.

6. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

The lineage of the ship is a bit convoluted. The Trek III Excelsior was in TNG for a few seasons unmodified except for the registry numbers (Hood, Repulse), then she got a new bridge and area in front of the hanger bay on the secondary hull (they got rid of the restaurant style dome there and the big impulse deflection crystal) for Trek VI. For Generations, the Enterprise B mods added to the ship were intended to be temporary so they could be pulled off afterwards, but it turned out they were attached more permanently than intended, so the ship remained that way. It got marked up as the Lakota for one DS:9 episode.

A new Excelsior model was built for Trek productions by Greg Jein and that one was first used on the Voyager episode "Flashback". For a while, Greg was offering unlit, built copies of it for sale through the Paramount store I believe, at least until the store folded.

7. Xenophon1

Xenophon1 Member

That's unfortunate, as I always thought the ship looked best as the Excelsior before that "wedge" got added to its formerly very round and streamlined hull. In terms of in-universe design it was a nice addition for the Enterprise B so that we could see some foreshadowing of the progression from rounded to angular shapes that would culminate in the Enterprise D, but on its own from a purely aesthetic standpoint it's clearly grafted on and I think detracts from the beauty of the piece.

Just my opinion though...

8. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I always thought the person who could afford to buy it could afford to have the pros change it back to the Excelsior, even with the damage removing the skirt may cause.

9. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Personally all I wanted was:

The Lakota-Then turned back to Excelsior

Enterprise A

Enterpise E

Well, not all. Just my top 3 by far.

10. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ah yes, I remember it like it was 2006. :D

[​IMG]

robn1 likes this.
  11. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

The only one I ever wanted was the Ambassador Class studio model, complete with the refit (extra shuttle bay). I even like the slightly-lowered nacelles they did to it ready for another on-screen appearance that never happened.

12. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Karl, is there anything Trek or astronomy related that you do not know? Awesome pic.

13. phase pistol

I don't know just about everything. :lol

But I got some good shots of the Lakota. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

So we got a Trek Trivia person. Well let's see how good you really are.

No Star Trek Fan has ever gotten this.

What is James T. Kirk's original middle initial???? It ain't T.

No cheating. Ya know it or you don't.

15. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Awesome pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing.

16. phase pistol

17. phase pistol

R.

Easy. :D

k

18. phase pistol

19. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Beautiful photos of the Lakota! In fact that's the best I've ever seen that refit look. You really caught the aztecing in a good light.
    I don't suppose you took any of the Ambassador model? Can't recall what names were on it when it sold.

20. phase pistol

ALAS I could only shoot photos of the items that were displayed in the Rockefeller Center concourse. The bulk of the Star Trek items were in the Christies' showroom across the street and NO photography was allowed! :cry

However I do have somebody else's pictures in my files. Let me know if these are yours if you want me to take them down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

:cry:cry Guess it was not that hard after all. No other Trek fan has gotten it that I've asked.

Thanks again for the great pics.

Need to do a major fix on my 4 ft Excelsior. Obviously The Lakota is a lot different but it still helps.

Thanks again

22. phase pistol

It was on Kirk's tombstone in the second pilot episode.:D

K

23. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Yep. I just happened to notice it and it became a fun question.

24. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

I need a smoke after all those awsome pics.

25. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Glad I'm not the only one.:lol

26. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Thanks for those pictures, looks like she had markings for Excalibur and Yammaguchi on her when she sold. I'd have been tempted to idealise her a little and make the markings consistent... would that have been sacrilege?

27. phase pistol

28. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

What even to replace the peeling (paper, I think) stick on lifeboat hatches? Oh well, it's not like I could ever have afforded it, but we can all dream of our own custom starship model, right?

29. Tremas

Tremas Sr Member

Got to admit, I wasn't all that in love with the Excelsior when I first saw it, for some reason.
    But, I've grown to love it now.

Thanks for the pics! :)

30. justice88

justice88 New Member

looks awesome

31. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

My first thought back in the day was 'that's a duck trying to mate with a frisbee'.

I've grown to love it though. Very pure Deco design. You could use it as a hood ornament for an early 50's Buick.

32. phase pistol

Excelsior I think was designed originally to be a sort of muscle-bound cartoon version of the Enterprise. It existed only for the gag where it "runs out of steam" due to Scotty's tampering, in ST3.

33. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Well, Karl does come to me from time to time for AMT Enterprise questions. So he doesn't know "everything". ;) But, he does get to hang out with a few more cool props than I do. :D And yes, I knew the "R" initial as well. Just remember there are Trek fans, and then there are some real detail obsessed people out there. RPF tends to have more of the detail obsessed ones (modelers are like that).

The Excelsior is a very odd design in its original form IMHO. To me, there was really only ever one good filming angle on it and that was the angle of it we saw in Trek III with the secondary hull being showcased. Otherwise, it just looks a bit too long and sleek with a tiny saucer (sort of the NBA basketball player of Starfleet). The additions made to the Enterprise B improve it for the most part as they bulked out the mass in spots. So those bigger impulse engines on the saucer (which Drex refers to as shuttle bays in his side diagram) reminded me a little of a muscle car with a blower coming out of the bay. What they did to the secondary hull also was nice, but it was admittedly a bit weird. Still, I don't know how they could have done it better without making the front of the hull looking too bulged. So I guess its "mustache" is a decent compromise.

BTW, NICE shots of Lakota and the Ambassador class BTW, complete with the "aztek" pattern. I heard there was a repeating pattern on the Excelsior, but never really saw any good confirmation of it on a model until now. Interesting how the Ambassador says "Yamaguchi" in front and "Excalibur" in the back. So I guess there was something to AMT using both names in their kit afterall. Also, does anyone else see the blue bussard collectors on the Lakota? So I guess the JJ Prise WASN'T the first Trek ship to have that.

34. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Not to get a whole thing going but the Excelsior is the best looking Star ship ever. Which is why the Enterprise E is so awesome. It's the next step in the line. For some reason they took an odd turn with the odd shaped, utterly worthless Ambassador and Galaxy class ships.

Let's face it. All they ever did was fail, break, and get destroyed. Not to mention they look like the cousin know one ever talks about but always comes up at a family get together. C and D look like Bobble Heads. "Look out, they are falling over and they can't get up"

Now come on,.. that was funny.

Enterprise A, Excelsior, Enterprise E. Everything else is just odd, big, bulgy, get's it's butt kicked by very old ships, etc.

35. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks for all the great pics Karl.

36. KLINGONSNIPER

KLINGONSNIPER New Member

Thanks everyone for the great pics

37. phase pistol

Actually the blue bussards were added, I guess, by Eaves for Star Trek Generations. There were no engine lights at all in the original NX-2000 version seen in Trek 3 and Trek 6!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

To me, the movie ships really don't go one way or the other until TNG as the Enterprise refit, the Reliant, the Grissom and the Excelsior had no signs of blue bussards. But, when Generations rolled around, they stuck those little detail pieces on the fronts of the engines that sort of looked like bussards (to tie them in with the C and D look) and they were more bluish in color than red.

Personally, I've considered the original Excelsior engines to be the best looking of the movie era ones as they didn't look all art decoed out like a 1930s car like what the Enterprise refit had. They just were there with big black grills and a little gray. When Greg Jein built the new Excelsior studio model for Voyager's "Flashback" and he put the glowing blue bits in, it just made the nacelles look gawdy IMHO (like two giant neon signs).

39. Luuke

Luuke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, after seeing the closeups, it looks like model making has gone down in quality these days.

40. mb1k

mb1k Well-Known Member

Could you then, please, tell us where the STMP Enterprise went? I've been trying to find out for years!

41. Quinn

Quinn Active Member

I'm glad this thread got resurrected, as I missed it the first time around. Wow! Awesome pictures!

42. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

If you're talking about the Ambassador class (not a big trekkie, so not sure if 100% that's right - the one with a couple of different names on it?) then the difference might be between ILM building for a feature film in 35mm and ILM building for a TV show to be broadcast in SD. Model budget I'm sure was bigger on ST4 than on an episode of TNG. The other thing that occurs to me is that the gaudy markings and paint job on the TV show model might have been needed to get it to read properly in SD, and really, you'd never have seen it much larger than on, what, a 20-30" screen? These models were practical solutions to project problems, not supposed to be works of art in themselves. Why spend money and time, particularly on an episodic TV show schedule, on something no one will ever see?

The other thing I've noticed about Excelsior is that it's designed in forced-perspective. Look at the first pic in Phase Pistols' last post - it always looks like it's racing forward, even when sitting perfectly still.

43. Linnear

Linnear Well-Known Member

The Excelsior that was built for "Flashback" is in the CBS Archive and on tour with the Star Trek Exhibition. I got to handle it was we set it up and tore it down in St. Louis.

Alec

44. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree that the Excelsior NX-2000 design was much sleeker and personally more appealing than the refit for Generations. I was not a fan of all of the attachments. I personally fell in love with the secondary hull design and the rest of it when I saw it in ST3. I could not understand why they modified the original model, rather than build a new one when they added all of the crap later on. If I had purchased it, I would pay the original model builders to restore it to the original Excelsior look from Star Trek 3 and 6. The era of Enterprise A, Reliant, Grissom and Excelsior was my favorite.

45. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

I never knew until about a month ago that they build a studio scale model of the Enterprise E for First Contact. If you watch the DVD with the commentaries, they show it being worked on and mention that the first shot you see of the Ship in the movie is the model while most of the rest of the shots are CGI.

Does anyone know what happened to it? I know the Enterprise A and D studio scale models were sold at Christies, but I never saw anything about the E.

46. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Joshua,

I think they had to add on to the Excelsior so they could add 'damage' to it after it hit the Nexus.

Here's some screencaps of the 'big E' from First Contact: Star Trek: First Contact: Enterprise E « a fun blog. Note that some shots of it are enhanced with CG details.

The "STTNG Sketchbook: The Movies" covers Generations and First Contact, and shows a lot of concept art and occasional photos of the filming miniatures.

-MJ