Evolution of the Countdown

Ei luj

First off, I must thank the Lair founders (Kithunter/Andrew, Faken/Dan) and leaders (PredatrHuntr/Jason, Bovine13/Scott, Usurper/Lee, NewPredMaker) and EVERYBODY for providing the forum & contributing info so we can come together and make the Predator come to life

A couple years ago I set out to make a countdown, and even though there was the AVP movie clips as a reference and goal, all I could do is adapt existing electronic schemes and approximate the display.

I took the concept behind a clock display and took the segments and rearranged them in the "characters", and built this board, it has a bazillion #30 wires, each individually wired in It has 13 parts in it.

building it:
IMG_0576.jpg

front:
ControlboardandLEDboardslayout.jpg

back:
BackofcontrolandLEDboards.jpg

Then about 3-1/2 months ago somebody asked about it (Pred-Master-Blaster) and set a fire under my seat.... so I set out to do a more realistic looking countdown, and realized that I needed more space (which I didn't have) and had to tell it more things (which didn't exist in hardware) so this would necessitate..............programming

So I got the programmer and started hitting the books, I found that all the first board's functions could fit into a programmable chip and one other chip.
TWO parts replaced THIRTEEN, wahooo!!!

Here's the round pod that goes to the computer, which has the code in it.
Also the programming board that holds the part to be programmed, plus my prototype plug boards with the LEDs in them:

IMG_0422-1.jpg

Now I had this much room in the gaunt, about 3" by 7" by maybe 1.35" or so, so I took paper and figured where a board would fit:

IMG_0440.jpg

So I came up with this layout showing the windows; later on it helped spot the holes for the switches and mounting posts:

IMG_0510.jpg

I made a prototype out of perfboard to start, it has a switch with a lever on it that is the ON switch, it gets put in the gaunt so opening the lid applies power.
One square switch is the RUN switch (the other was just for test purposes):

front (it has a dinky little N cell batteryholder in there just for testing):

IMG_0452.jpg

back (this has blood along with sweat and tears in it, cause the exacto knife slipped; YEOUCH!!):

IMG_0453.jpg

I didn't want to have to cut the tracks and do point to point wiring for every one (shades of the first one, egads!)
So I went online and got a circuit drawing and board layout program, and did a layout and sent out to have boards made.

Front (another small dinky batteryholder, this one for camera 12 battery):
IMG_0481-1.jpg

back:
IMG_0480.jpg

I fitted it in with the switches and prototype overlay to see how it looked:

IMG_0485-1.jpg

Then I took the board layout file and exported it to a drawing program and filled in rectangles where the circles of the LED locations were, this would be the slots in the overlay.
The overlay is made out of box plastic from a stamp set I bought at Michael's crafts
Here's a picture of the overlay on a board, there is frisket film in back for a light diffuser, and the front is painted matte black:

IMG_0524.jpg

In Bovine13's (Scott's) suit build, Post #18 here http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...t=0&start=0 it has small flat batteries that are rechargeable, but in the interest of flexibility for overseas users (different charger power), and cost (rechargeables are EXPENSIVE & the AA's don't fit the pack :0 ), I put a AA pack in there that takes regular alkalines:

IMG_0519.jpg

In the above picture, its an "original" revision board, and since I wasn't yet sure of the hole locations, I drilled the board.
There's power and ground inside that would be shorted if metal screws were used, so I used nylon ones.

On "A" revision boards, the holes are already in there, and so metal screws can be used.

Here's how the AA pack fits inside, it doesn't come up to the level of the forearm and wrist curves:

IMG_0520.jpg

also for ease of use, the fuze is accessible:

IMG_0530.jpg

And since the AA's are large and heavy, I used a smaller 9v battery.
Also I made an extension cable so the 9v or the AA pack can go in the medkit.
I labelled the board with cautions on the screws, battery placement, static sensitive, plus the fuze size:

IMG_0539.jpg

The tool is handy for getting the snaps apart, and the AA batteries out (the spring ones come out easiest):

IMG_0544-1.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

I had to be sure there was good contact of the batteries and snaps, the AA pack is snug and held the battery just THIS far away from the end, see lower left battery :0 :

IMG_0541.jpg

And I labelled everything first pic is extension cable to board, second is extension to battery:

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

It runs!!! A 9v will give 100 countdowns or more... a half hour's worth of doing power-up, Run, power down and repeat...

th_MVI_0517.jpg

thanks again to all

---
Ei'luj

IMG_0576.jpg

ControlboardandLEDboardslayout.jpg

BackofcontrolandLEDboards.jpg

IMG_0422-1.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0481-1.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0485-1.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0544-1.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

th_MVI_0517.jpg

And I thought just the bare board was cool just sitting on my table, it looks sick mounted and running in a gauntlet. That thing is covered in awesome sauce. Cheers Julie on a job well done!

Amazing!!!! Julie..where were you this Holloween when I needed you ( wait ...you were with me...my trusty Klingon gaurd) may be thinking about switching out my gaunts soon!

And I thought just the bare board was cool just sitting on my table, it looks sick mounted and running in a gauntlet. That thing is covered in awesome sauce. Cheers Julie on a job well done!

Scott,

Many thanks, my bio's off to ya

its got me doing this cause as I was looking thru the pics on photobucket to pick out the older ones, I did "show all" and saw the ones of all of us from Comic con

also, am thinking of P2 gaunt, how to fit it in its a never ending journey, hmm?

---
Ei'luj

Like Kithunter once told me when I first joined up....."A suit is never finished. Its always evolving and changing."

Amazing!!!! Julie..where were you this Holloween when I needed you ( wait ...you were with me...my trusty Klingon gaurd) may be thinking about switching out my gaunts soon!

Many thanks, Ptgreek/George

Yup, I had your back nobody messed with ya....

I guess this is the second half of "do ya feel lucky BUG?" The first half is the cannon "BOOOOOOM"

More gaunts, what kind are yours

---
Ei'luj

I'm using latex foam filled P2 gaunts. I like them for the most part because the risk of breaking is nil if you bump anything and they stay nice and snug on my arm...of course doesnt leave much room for electronics. When you saw the suit..I had a single self powered color changing LED that I got in a bundle pack from thinkgeek.com ...It was a sort of last minute addition to give the suit a little bit more flair on Halloween.

Like Kithunter once told me when I first joined up....."A suit is never finished. Its always evolving and changing."

You got that right.... just this morning I woke up with an idea of how to mount this a different way

(instead of posts glued to the front, and needing to take screws out to access the card, I could put guide sleeves in there for posts to just sit in, and then the back of the board has a layer of something that velcros at the arm curves, and board mounts to that layer, so the posts just guide it in place.... it would have cutouts for battery spot.
The layer would be like that leather strip that I use presently, minus the foam.
IMG_1093.jpg
)

---
Ei'luj

IMG_1093.jpg

I'm using latex foam filled P2 gaunts. I like them for the most part because the risk of breaking is nil if you bump anything and they stay nice and snug on my arm...of course doesnt leave much room for electronics. When you saw the suit..I had a single self powered color changing LED that I got in a bundle pack from thinkgeek.com ...It was a sort of last minute addition to give the suit a little bit more flair on Halloween.

Its good that they're flexible.

Hmm, I see what you mean on the size, my board minus posts & battery is about .85" thick (W=3", L=7"), battery gotta go in the medkit.
I remember its 4 windows, would need to rearrange things or switch the board around so when the lights are lined up the end wont stick out.
Many thanks to Dieabolic for info and Casey for P2 resin gaunt, I wonder if yours is the same arrangement and size.
If so, we have convergence!

---
Ei'luj

julie that is the da bomb!!!....sorry couldn't help it girl..

that is awesome on many levels

AM

Kithunter/Andrew

ohhh not to worry, I LOVE puns

keep em coming, I will laugh out loud even tho I am in cubicle-land

Many thanks for your good words

---
Ei'luj

it's been a long time since i've been this jealous....... i can't even believe how cool the actual countdown is, it's perfect! goes all the way down to the last one! excellent job! i've seen some very impressive "bomb gauntlets" but i'm sorry to say this has to take em.

such a cool bomb clock well done top stuff awesome to see people tackle and make some great props for bringing pred costumes to life XD

Getting everybody together here....

I guess one badass female pred can make a difference! Nuff said...

Dave,

Yup, badass Arbitrator Glad you like the countdown, many thanks!

it's been a long time since i've been this jealous....... i can't even believe how cool the actual countdown is, it's perfect! goes all the way down to the last one! excellent job! i've seen some very impressive "bomb gauntlets" but i'm sorry to say this has to take em.

such a cool bomb clock well done top stuff awesome to see people tackle and make some great props for bringing pred costumes to life XD
Hellonearth, Predatoraddict

Many thanks for the props I really appreciate your good words

Awesome sauce indeed...that is totally kick ass. Where's Carl with his giant thumbs up?

... awesome sauce, cool term... many thanks and I'm glad to be able to help Never fear, Carl will be here.

Julie you are a legend for making this. So gotta get 1 of these for my next suit

A legend? *shy grin* Just an engineer... (das blinkenlights!)

Do you have ruffkin gaunts or P2?

----
Ei'luj

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back