Evil Queen's Magic Mirror...making one for my gf

agliarept

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
decided to make my own custom mirror with electronics. to give my gf as a custom personalized Magic Mirror. I guess I could document it here, should be something fun to give her for Christmas. check below for the latest update for photos and/or videos.
mirroronthewall.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: Evil Queen's Magic Mirror Replica...what's out there?

A few years back the Disney Catalog, (back when they HAD a Catalog), released a Lifesize version of the Magic Mirror.

It looks like a normal mirror, however when you push the Secret Button, it lights up the inside of the mirror and the face of the Mirror appears!

It's a very cool piece and we bought it, but never found the right place to hang it up.

=Frank=

I think I know which Mirror your talking about from the Disney Catalog, I actually saw someone listed it for sale at auction but missed it by a few weeks. that is a nice, hard to find, mirror.

I wondering if there's even any garage kits out there for this mirror. Like a DIY kit would be fun to paint up. The Disney replica i saw is really beautiful but difficult to find one.

magicmanfrank, is this the one mentioned? I didn't know it lit up, that is amazing!
evil-queens-mirror-525x700.jpg

Agliarept-

No, the one you have a photo posted of is NOT the one I am talking about.

I will try and get mine out and take photos of it to show you.

=Frank=

I think I know which Mirror your talking about from the Disney Catalog, I actually saw someone listed it for sale at auction but missed it by a few weeks. that is a nice, hard to find, mirror.

I wondering if there's even any garage kits out there for this mirror. Like a DIY kit would be fun to paint up. The Disney replica i saw is really beautiful but difficult to find one.

magicmanfrank, is this the one mentioned? I didn't know it lit up, that is amazing!
evil-queens-mirror-525x700.jpg

I believe this is the replica that was made by Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily a few years ago. Great guys. Here's a shot of one on their Flickr page.

thanks for the flickr link. that is one really nice mirror. I was able to find some store in the Philippines that have a magic mirror made in 2007 but for 600$ and their site isn't very legit looking. lol I'm thinking i might have to get her a mirror that looks like it could be a magic mirror lol.

Re: Evil Queen's Magic Mirror Replica...what's out there? (making my own)

found a great mirror to use for my project. Rather then have it be a replica, i thought it'd be unique to give my gf her own personal magic mirror.

Here is what I will use:
$%28KGrHqMOKjUE5Rgp,4WeBObWjKgmqw%7E%7E60_3.JPG

What i worked out on paper is having voice activated green EL wire under behind the mirror surrounding the frame.

what I haven't exactly settle on, is what method I want to use for the Mirrors voice. I'm currently thinking about either using a motion contorlled voice box with a single pre determined sound. I could set up a bluetooth speaker and manually control what the mirror says.

what do you guys suggest? Ideally, i want her to ask the mirror who is the fairest of them all and I want it to say her, but not repeat the same way every time.

thanks a lot for the link! I did check them out and it looks awesome. I think having the visual would freak my girlfriend out. if i owned a house I would love to do that with a giant ornate mirror. once day maybe :)

what do you folks think would be the best route to have the audio playing? I like the motion activated voice box, but there very sensitive and can go off on there own. what would you guys recommend?

going to order my voice activated EL kit today. does anyone have any other tips for what to use for the voice playback? motion activated i guess?

little update here got my mirror and el wire installed this morning. looks good, i might wrap a few more of the edges on the mirror not sure yet but what do you all think?

10cvo15.jpg

I was able to find a credit card sized chip that plays 5 audio clips with the push of one button, i should have it in hand next week i hope. The last final touches I want to do is make a Certificate of Authenticity for the mirror to give to my GF and maybe permanently place it behind the mirror.

Here is a video of it working with the lights somewhat off. :)

View My Video

working on a certificate of authenticity for the mirror. Need some ideas on what other descriptive text to put in there lol. what do you fine folks think.

ncxfeq.png

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back