Evil Queen from Mirror, Mirror

Eveningarwen

So I'm always behind on the "new movie" costumes and end up being the last in line to make something that I had wanted to make the moment I saw the movie but didn't have time to. Then by the time I've made it it's been done to death and that always seems to take the fun out of the costume a bit. (Although I've still thoroughly enjoyed making all of my costumes)

So I know the movie still has a while before it comes out but I am determined to do this dress from Mirror, Mirror:

Julia-Roberts-in-Snow-White-2012-Movie-Image1-e1318212934339.jpg

evil-queen-julia.jpg

I almost always end up having to throw my costumes together in 3 weeks or less and it always stresses me out and forces me to take shortcuts when something goes wrong. So I really want to do this one right.

Now it's still going to be a little bit of time before I start on the dress but I'd like to slowly collect info on how to do some of the detail stuff and I may start work on things like the headpiece and the peacock fan behind her. But for now I have a sort of "inspired by" piece that I am working on and will hopefully have finished by the beg of Dec and I'm super excited by it!

Anyone else thinking of undertaking any of these costumes??? I saw the trailer and it looks like it will be cute and if nothing else will just be a costume explosion lol!

I have a friend attempting this costume as well! While I'm hoping the movie is better than it's trailer...I really am fond of this dress!

mirrormirror.jpg

I just watched that trailer and I LOVED the costumes!!! I can't wait to see the movie just for the costumes alone! It will be absolutely beautiful once you get that done. For myself- I saw this one and just wanted to make it just...well. To do it. Dunno if I ever will, but how much fun!

Just the other day I was looking for peacock sword feathers and saw white peacock feathers. I was wondering what you would do with them and now I know.

Lynn

I just watched that trailer and I LOVED the costumes!!! I can't wait to see the movie just for the costumes alone! It will be absolutely beautiful once you get that done. For myself- I saw this one and just wanted to make it just...well. To do it. Dunno if I ever will, but how much fun!

OMG WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THAT ONE!!! I never even saw it lol! Was it in the trailer? It must have happened real fast. As I was watching the trailer I was on costume overload lol and had to make myself focus on one dress at a time. I would totally do that costume as well. Maybe I'll just make all her costumes. I mean once I make the hip bucket contraption to go under the dresses that's like half the battle.....maybe....sigh....we'll forever be poor because there will always be a costume I want to make hahahahahah!

OMG WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THAT ONE!!! I never even saw it lol! Was it in the trailer? It must have happened real fast. As I was watching the trailer I was on costume overload lol and had to make myself focus on one dress at a time. I would totally do that costume as well. Maybe I'll just make all her costumes. I mean once I make the hip bucket contraption to go under the dresses that's like half the battle.....maybe....sigh....we'll forever be poor because there will always be a costume I want to make hahahahahah!

Lmfao! Did you just refer to panniers as hip buckets? Hahaha :lol

Yeah it was in the trailer- a BLINK of an eye. I went through frame by frame to get the screen shot.

I know all the costumes were great and I love Snow White's fencing outfit. Zen calls it my costume ADD. I'm glad I'm not the only one though, lol :lol

yep! Hahahah! It's what my friend (who was also the costume Prof and the one who taught me everything about costumes) calls them. He always has quirky names for stuff and I totally picked up all his bad habits lol! Like being spoiled and wanting to only work with PFAFF machines and silk fabrics. Damn you!!!!

Yeah it was in the trailer- a BLINK of an eye. I went through frame by frame to get the screen shot.

I know all the costumes were great and I love Snow White's fencing outfit. Zen calls it my costume ADD. I'm glad I'm not the only one though, lol :lol

Hahaha! Craig, my fiance, wants to kill me sometimes I think because I'm always like, "This is the LAST big costume that I will make". And then movies like this come along lol!

OH I know exactly what you mean! I have a list and that list isn't just "oh I'll use simple spandex" it's usually something ridiculous and just this morning Zen and I were talking about our costume lists for the upcoming year and he gave me a reality check about my list. We like to do things JUST SO- and unfortunately that always seems to equate to more $$$$.

:p

Oh well :D

OH I know exactly what you mean! I have a list and that list isn't just "oh I'll use simple spandex" it's usually something ridiculous and just this morning Zen and I were talking about our costume lists for the upcoming year and he gave me a reality check about my list. We like to do things JUST SO- and unfortunately that always seems to equate to more $$$$.

:p

Oh well :D

LOL! Craig gave me the reality check about our list a couple weeks ago after we finished our Tron costumes and basically spent $2000 on those two costumes alone. He also doesn't see the comparison when I say "Yeah, but the REAL costumes cost $60,000 each".

I don't know why that doesn't make him feel better hahaah!

HAHAHAHAH. Oh yes. Definitely. I keep pointing out that if we use the costumes for charity they are TAX DEDUCTIBLE. That doesn't seem to help us in creating the money to pay for them first, hahah!

Wow! I almost want to make one of these just for the challenge. That's a LOT of dress! I'd venture to say that pannier is bigger than my apt...:unsure

I haven't even see the the trailer but the pictures you all are posting look incredible. very time consuming and expensive. I can't even imagine how many yard of fabric that dress is WOW! Something about the costumes is giving me flash backs of costumes from the never ending story... Don't ask me which one, The silver city. Makes me want to go back and watch it. Keep us posted if you really go head with it! I really want to loose some weight before I make any more costumes for my self :( lol

This is one of the big dresses I'm tackling this year as well. I'm looking forward to the challenge of those shoulder pieces!

This is one of the big dresses I'm tackling this year as well. I'm looking forward to the challenge of those shoulder pieces!

What I don't understand about those shoulder pieces is when you zoom in on the high res images it's very clear that they are covered in the same fabric as her dress but I don't know how the holes are cut out because there's no seams or stitching or anything.

I thought about using foam and doing the whole sealing and painting if I'm able to find paint or mix paint the same color. But....meh....I don't know. Then I thought about leather and dyeing leather but again....I don't think that's it. I would love to know how those shoulder pieces are done or even what materials were used.

One of the ruffs in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" was laser cut. Wonder if the shoulder pieces were also laser cut?

Lynn

Maybe....But if you look real close the edging looks to be at least 1/4" thick and it's smooth and also all red. Did they layer like, 20 layers of fabric with glue in between and then heat press it super flat and then laser cut it? How is it so thick without any seams and no fraying? It's not textured so it can't be thick wool felt or anything. And it's definitely covered in that satin.....ARGGGHHHH!!!! (Shakes fists) Damn you movies and your amazing costumes and unlimited budgets and resources!!! Lol! Oh well.....That laser cut thing is an interesting idea though. I may look into that just in case.

Maybe....But if you look real close the edging looks to be at least 1/4" thick and it's smooth and also all red. Did they layer like, 20 layers of fabric with glue in between and then heat press it super flat and then laser cut it? How is it so thick without any seams and no fraying? It's not textured so it can't be thick wool felt or anything. And it's definitely covered in that satin.....ARGGGHHHH!!!! (Shakes fists) Damn you movies and your amazing costumes and unlimited budgets and resources!!! Lol! Oh well.....That laser cut thing is an interesting idea though. I may look into that just in case.

Gotta be house elves!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back