Evil Dead II - Ash chainsaw build - Finished!!

Raffles

Sr Member
Can anyone please furnish me with the dimensions of the Homelite XL casing used to make the prop? They're kinda hard to come by over here.

I'd need the length, depth and width of the casing.

Oh and does anyone know the length of the bar that was fitted?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Re: Ash Chainsawhand help!

If no one gets the measurements by tomorrow, I might be able to post them. It all depends on whether or not it's going to rain here, but if it doesn't, I'll be around one all day and I'll try and get some shots of it next to a T-Square.

I managed to find some decent sized pics in an old folder so I'm making decent headway with this. Back into the workshop tomorrow to make a start on the construction. I'll make this into a build thread yet!

Thanks for all the help guys!

There's a place that does all the ash chainsaws. Bet if you asked nice they'd help you out. I think they have info there too. Haven't been in awhile so can't guranteee they are still around but I'm sure they are.

I am so sorry that I never responded. I didn't ever get over to the grandparents-in-law's house (the people that own it) as I'm really bad sick and I can't chance giving a 99 year old woman the flu.

Again, so sorry!

Still plodding along with this. Got the basic casing, bar and side panels roughed up in sintra. Built an internal handle from MDF and started laser cutting the teeth for the chain.

Okay time for an update with pictures!

Here's where I'm at so far -

dsc0075sr.jpg

Mostly sintra with a mdf support for the handle. I was going to laser cut the teeth for the saw but the cutter is on the blink. so these are just hand cut.

dsc0076q.jpg

and the side panel

dsc0082c.jpg

just blue foam skinned with plasticard and smoothed out with bondo.

Not my most accurate prop but it looks the part so far and is light as a feather.:thumbsup

Almost there!
Just got the first few coats of paint on. It ended up looking a lot beefier than the movie version but since I haven't really built anything for a while I'm pretty pleased so far.
Still needs a new handle and the fittings for the top plate and the wrist clamp along with other odds and ends. Should get those done tomorrow and then onto weathering.:thumbsup

dsc0064x.jpg

dsc0065f.jpg

dsc0066.jpg

dsc0067ny.jpg

Finally finished this one. Bit of a rush to get it done so there's still some bits that need some attention. I'll try and grab better pics tomorrow.

dsc0087e.jpg
dsc0094r.jpg

dsc0088c.jpg

dsc0090h.jpg

dsc0091ig.jpg

You know, for a scratch built that looks really VERY good! I love the bar and the chainsaw teeth and really great! If you didn't put it next to a real Homelite you'd really never know it wasn't made from a real chainsaw!

I built one a few...ok, FIVE years or more ago out of a Craftsman i got for free from a small engine repair joint in Arizona. You technically don't NEED to use a Homelite but a good casing will always help.

106n6hj.jpg

That's incredible. But my only question is: DOES IT WORK? That would be taking this prop the next level.

MM

You know, for a scratch built that looks really VERY good! I love the bar and the chainsaw teeth and really great! If you didn't put it next to a real Homelite you'd really never know it wasn't made from a real chainsaw!

I built one a few...ok, FIVE years or more ago out of a Craftsman i got for free from a small engine repair joint in Arizona. You technically don't NEED to use a Homelite but a good casing will always help.

106n6hj.jpg

Such a fun prop - it's so simple, but very iconic IMO.
I wonder if we will ever see a licensed replica?
Looking good boys! Lets see some pics in full costume!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back