Evil Dead 1 Necronomicon , Now with Chainsaw + ED 2 book (WIP)

Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon , (WIP) Some silicone gluing advice needed

Thanks for the reply :). I contacted the supplier earlier, and she recommended the same thing. Hopefully it should be arriving tomorrow. I tried silicone caulk as a glue... it seems to have worked, but I'm not sure about the strength of it.

Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon , Now with chainsaw (WIP)

Well, after getting my hands on a working Panasonic / National Reel Player, doing the silicone ED1 Book of the dead, I decided to start sculpting the ED2 book. But that was short lived, because this groovy baby arrived in the mail! (supplied by an eBay user http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro-chainsaw-supply, who was great to deal with, sourced me one, stripped it, cleaned it, and sent me the body super fast!) And a big thank you to Rob from evildeadchainsaws.com for supplying a few parts at short notice! Both these guys are great to deal with! Heroes!)

Yep...

The 237th RPF Evil Dead chainsaw build thread

$_122.JPG

IMG_9867.jpg

IMG_9870.jpg

Once the Friday night hangover subsided, I started work on it a few hours ago. I've put a speaker on the inside body, with the activation button on the hand rail inside, so when the button is pressed : "You shall dieeeeeeee" plays, followed by some loud chainsaw sounds, and then followed by "I'll swallow your soul" and "Come get some."

IMG_9874.jpg
IMG_9876.jpg
IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

IMG_9882.jpg

Will fabricate a blade from some plywood, two bike chains, some silicone chainsaw teeth, and lots of ben nye blood scab / glue mixture.
Will upload a video of the audio asap once iPhoto finishes it's update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon , Now with Chainsaw (WIP)

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions about making a fake chain for a chainsaw? Ordered some bike chains from amazon, but the parcel has been lost in transit :(

You could try some plastic roller chain. It is basically plastic bike chain. It's available at McMaster-Carr or Amazon, though it doesn't sound like you've had great luck w/ Amazon.

I decided to continue on with the ED2 Book of the Dead. Here's a pic of the first test with Dragon Skin Silicone, will hopefully mount it on a book tomorrow.

IMG_0080.JPG

Excerllent work! On my list of project to do one day.

SO far which material do you prefer for the book cover Latex vs Silicone?

Latex is easier, and less messy to paint, but hands down the dragon skin silicone 20. Have a ED1 made from Mold Max 20 or something, and this ED2 silicone. The ED1 Mold was deep, so the silicone is quite thick on it, so I learnt and made the second mold a lot shallower, which has worked out perfect so far. It will be a lot more pliable to attach to the cover wood than the former! Just finished binding the pages for this one, so hopefully tomorrow I'll have completion pics.

In short, the feeling of the silicone is nuts on it :D really adds to it.

Awesome! makes me wanna make my own now.
probably be my next project, though I'll be making the Ash vs. Evil dead version as I think it's the cleaner of hem all.
anyway, looks really great and accurate!

Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon Naturom Demonto, (WIP) .

You know it really p***es me off that Tom Sullivan wields copyright the way he does so he can gouge people with his only $600 limited print replicas. I really want an affordability priced one and don't have the skill to make my own, but this guy wants to be tool about it. Makes me very angry that I'll likely never get one do to his ridiculous copyright claims.

I can understand you, as I had always wanted one and tried to buy one from Tom, but to never hear back from him when I agreed the price, (which makes me wonder, if he is okay). But to be honest man, his price tag of $1,000 is actually pretty good!. He only does the ED1 book though. But for that $1,000, you get an item made by the original creator, great quality prints of the original art etc. The amount of time, and cost of materials just to make one book, doesn't really justify it when one can buy one from Tom for 1,000. I've spent a fortune on plaster, latex, silicone, wood, parchment paper, book binding kits, paper card, paints, silpoxy adhesive,silcpig paints, thickener, Ease Release 200 silicone, brushes etc. I don't live anywhere near places where I can get these items readily, so with the cost of shipping these items, it all does really add up in cost. I've had some casts that the silicone never cured fully, so more silicone test kits had to be bought etc. Then add the amount of time for trial and error etc. Right now... $1,000 dollars seems to me a fair price to be honest for a piece of Tom's work. It's not the first time that I've chosen an endeavour that works out almost as expensive as just purchasing the time. My ******* Chucky, I could have bought 2 of the rare Sideshows from Japan for € 700 a piece!.

It's all relative though. If someone has the materials lying around, or some of them, it's worth giving a shot. Starting from scratch in hindsight.. I'd much prefer just to buy Tom's! :D

Hi guys, I'm new here and wanted to show a replica I've made. I've made a few in the past and this one, for me, is my best work so far. It's just a cover and the pages will eventually come. I don't know yet if I'll add the pages from the reboot(2013) or replicas from the original necronomicon. Any suggestions? Hope you like it and I am open to all critics..
NOTE: This is just a re-imagination of the books. I didn't want to create a screen accurate replica as I do not have all the stuff to make one.
001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Odin82 and Kawika these look amazing. I wish Tom offered a higher quality version of this iconic prop since he won't allow the sale of more detailed reproductions. Maybe with the show hitting its second season we'll see a new version that at least opens like a book should. My girlfriend would lose her mind (har har) if I could scare up a decent-looking replica.
Odin82 if you're still stuck with bookbinding questions, I have a friend who is a professional Bookbinder in Boston, I'd be happy to put you two in touch.

Yeah, I never got around to that small detail :D. When winter comes in Ireland, the passion to work on hobbies outdoors wanes (although it would take all of 2 minutes to do!) Sadly, the ED2 book in the thread I had to sell. Still have the mould, but not sure if I'll get the chance to make another one.

So back in January I set out to identify the map used in the Evil Dead intro scene, the map Bruce Campbell is holding. I didn't want to publicise it until I managed to nab one.

The map is a "Pictorial Map of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park Area" or "Souvenir Pictorial Map of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park". Two issues of the map were released by Aerial Photography Services, with the map artist Bill C. Brown. The years were 1971 (white cover) and 1975 (yellow cover). They are rare to find… one White sold on Ebay late December 2016 for 99 cent, and a Yellow appeared on eBay recently, for 35 dollars, so I snapped it up immediately. (another sold yesterday for 4.99 to a fellow ED fan I tipped off)

In the intro you can see a clip of the folded map cover… it appears white and you can see the side of the cover image. I remembered that in the special "From the cutting room floor" on some release, there were jump cuts with clips of a map that lasted for one second, so I screenshot them, found the placename on the map, and through a lot of searching, finally found the map.

http://imgur.com/a/6gHDW

$_57-1.JPG

$_57-2.JPG

Just out of interest for any other ED fans looking to track one down.

$_57-1.JPG

$_57-2.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back