Evil Dead 1 Necronomicon , Now with Chainsaw + ED 2 book (WIP)

Odin82

Sr Member
I've always wanted to get my hands on a proper Book of the Dead. Since the first time I saw Army of Darkness in 1993 at the age of 11, and then seeing ED1 and ED2. It was a project I've always wanted to tackle, but in recent years, I just didn't have the time with the day job consuming/ripping my soul out. I recently had my first holiday break from work in five years, and over it, I was trying to decide what project to keep me busy. Of course, I was indecisive, and in the last 2 days of my holidays, I decided I wanted a Book of the Dead, and had no other option but to make one myself (a story I won't go into here, going by the past threads on the topic, but I did try to buy one legit).

I'm a huge prop book fan, Ninth Gate, The Craft, etc. So I decided to do a ED1 book to learn the skills it takes for building a book, binding etc. I decided to use all the illustrations from the 3 movies and the remake. I played around with the idea of having the front of my book the ED1 look, but flip it upside down and turn it to the back, the "back cover" would then be the front cover of the remake book. I thought it would be a great idea, but I ended up swaying away from it. (Don't know why now in hindsight, kind of wish I had done it now!)

I used the Elder Props illustrations for the remake pages, and ended up spending almost all of my free time once back at work in Photoshop and Illustrator, cleaning up and vecotorising whatever images I could find online of them all. I'll include some pics at the bottom, but over this weekend, I just did a test pull from my mould for the cover. Few areas that need to be cleaned up and filled on the mould, but overall I'm happy with the test pull. I did a test book boards from Plywood, and since I had no A3 paper on hand, I used a big brown envelope (even though I had a big roll of brown Kraft paper upstairs... (improvisation waits for no memory recall!)

I then did a test paint, just to see how the watered down acrylics spread on the latex test pull resulted. Which leads me to positing here looking for help. I have the mould now filled etc for the imperfections etc. The next pull will be the final, and I'll be beginning binding the 70 odd pages that will be in the book once the waxed linen thread arrives in the next couple of days. . I'm looking for help as regards bonding the latex pull to the plywood boards covered in brown paper. I have picked up some Elmer's rubber cement... but I'm not sure if this will be adequate, and wondering if some of the wise and helpful people here can chime in and give me some advice on what adhesives to use.

I'm also looking for advice on.... what can I use, if I can... to clear coat the latex cover with when it is on the book... maybe to make the colours just pop, and add some extra protection (i've searched the site, but none of the answers seemed to be suitable for my predicament. I've been out of the latex crafting hobby for almost ten years now at this stage. I probably will end up doing a silicone cover from the mould next, but since I'm so close, I'd like to finish off one with the next latex pull. Can anyone help as regards both questions? And thank you for the help in advance.

And on with the pics... and a reminder, these were just a test pull and test paint, so apologies, it's a bit sloppy.

IMG_9595.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9617.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9619.jpg

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9629.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

IMG_9649.JPG

IMG_9644.JPG

IMG_9647 2.jpg

IMG_9650 2.jpg

IMG_9643.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9595.jpg
    IMG_9595.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_9647.JPG
    IMG_9647.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_9650.JPG
    IMG_9650.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon Naturom Demonto, (WIP) .

Just completed the box case for holding. It was a cheap unfinished one from somewhere on amazon. Has a light activated sound module underneath the padding on the lid, so when the box case is opened, the reel player audio from Professor Knowby from Evil Dead 1 and Evil Dead 2 plays. Low quality pics. Oh and inert shotgun shells from http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/shooting_inertammo.html

IMG_9775.jpg

IMG_9778.JPG

IMG_9781.JPG

IMG_9782.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thats just awesome.
Where did you get the pages to fill the book?

Thanks guys :) 290+ views on this forum and no replies :/. So some positivity is well received.

The pages were from googling and vectorising on Adobe illustrator. Worst thing, in the last 24 hours, I got my hands on the Ultimate Edition DVD of the Evil Dead, and there is an Easter Egg on the DVD menu that brings one to a hidden area, that shows the entire clip of Bruce Campbell flicking through the book. I'm about 5 pages short from the original, and about 4 pages out of order. I was close though :)

Great work, A movie from childhood, disturbed by trees ever since.

Danger Danger.....we do not speak of selling replicas of the necronomicon or Robby the robot.... It's worse than calling Beetlejuice 3 times...

Ok, didn't know that.
I just think it's a realy cool book.
(Never seen the movies)

Ok, didn't know that.
I just think it's a realy cool book.
(Never seen the movies)

The original prop maker "Tom Sullivan" (also a member here) has the copyright for the evil dead book of the dead, and he is very quick to contact and send out C/D letter to anyone that sells copys of his book. He is fine with people making their own but selling is a big no no..... Almost the same thing is it with a maker of 1:1 sized Robby the robot (forbidden planet) called Fred Barton but he is more of a dick because he tries to stop anyone from making a RtR for themselves.

Those are fantastic. I'm a huge fan of the Evil Dead series and applaud Tom Sullivan for his contributions.
With the advent of Ash vs. The Evil dead on Stars in a month, I've been foaming at the mouth to finish work on a book-safe or book-box version of the Necronomicon (ex mortis) for my favorite board game. So the past few nights I've been working on putting this together. This isn't actually a prop as much as fancy storage.
The box will hold the bulk of miniatures for FFG's "Mansions of Madness" (A board game based on HP Lovecraft writings...Call of Cthulhu, Dunwich Horror, etc. and the originator of the Necronomicon mythos.) The "book" had to be large enough to hold all of the investigators and humanoid monsters yet small enough to fit into the storage box (A large briefcase) that holds all of the other board game components (tiles, markers, instruction books, larger monster minis, etc.).

My version is based on the one from Army of Darkness (when Ash has to go retrieve the book from the cemetery) made from a hobby store wooden box book. And I built-up the front with string, glue and air-dry-clay before applying a pigskin cover. These pics were taken prior to adding a wax sealing on it. It's a bit darker now and has a nice sheen now from the wax and buff. No one has to worry about me selling this one or making more.

21273866713_8f29c7fbe9_c.jpg

21904625261_85bc3c4229_c.jpg

21706902980_4a1bf8f286_c.jpg

21273865803_a4186f5800_c.jpg

That looks fantastic. I have a spare box that I used for the case, and had the idea of giving it a necronomicon look from Army of Darkness, and inside it, holding the book from the first one. It would be a lot more work though, sculpting again, and casting etc. But... I'm tempted.

***Please if anyone can help****:

I am going to make a silicone cast from my mold. I'm just about to purchase either Mold Max, or Dragon Skin in the next hour or two. Does anyone have any advice as regards which product to purchase, as regards pliability etc. I'm purchasing from this price list http://www.grs.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/GRS-Smooth-on-price-list.pdf as it is within 30 miles of me. I have no idea which shore hardness to buy etc. Sorry for the noob question.

ok, this book keeps going through my mind.
What is the best way to accuire the pages?
Just get them of google image search?

ok, this book keeps going through my mind.
What is the best way to accuire the pages?
Just get them of google image search?

I spent about a week of my spare time googling, resizing, sharpening, vectorising and colour overlaying in photoshop and illustrator. There are some hand drawn images on this forum if you can find them. To be honest, I'm about 4 pages out of all the pages in the original book as per the Easter Egg on the ultimate edition. The four pages I can't seem to find anywhere in good quality, so it looks like I'll be hand drawing them for the final book I'm making with a silicone cover to last.

If anyone can give some advice...... I did a test silicone cast of the cover. What is the best way to attach this to the hard back book cover? Any common glue? epoxies etc? I tried the bonder I had and no luck.

Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon , (WIP) Some silicone gluing advice needed

My personal preference is skin textures depends on the type of silicone whether they "do it for me". I like the look and feel of latex for skin overall. That's just my preference though.

Smooth on sells a product called Sil-poxy that could solve your bonding issue. Silicone is a pain in that respect as it loves bonding to itself and usually nothing else.

Best of luck

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back