Evil Dead 1 Necronomicon , Now with Chainsaw + ED 2 book (WIP)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Odin82, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to get my hands on a proper Book of the Dead. Since the first time I saw Army of Darkness in 1993 at the age of 11, and then seeing ED1 and ED2. It was a project I've always wanted to tackle, but in recent years, I just didn't have the time with the day job consuming/ripping my soul out. I recently had my first holiday break from work in five years, and over it, I was trying to decide what project to keep me busy. Of course, I was indecisive, and in the last 2 days of my holidays, I decided I wanted a Book of the Dead, and had no other option but to make one myself (a story I won't go into here, going by the past threads on the topic, but I did try to buy one legit).

I'm a huge prop book fan, Ninth Gate, The Craft, etc. So I decided to do a ED1 book to learn the skills it takes for building a book, binding etc. I decided to use all the illustrations from the 3 movies and the remake. I played around with the idea of having the front of my book the ED1 look, but flip it upside down and turn it to the back, the "back cover" would then be the front cover of the remake book. I thought it would be a great idea, but I ended up swaying away from it. (Don't know why now in hindsight, kind of wish I had done it now!)

I used the Elder Props illustrations for the remake pages, and ended up spending almost all of my free time once back at work in Photoshop and Illustrator, cleaning up and vecotorising whatever images I could find online of them all. I'll include some pics at the bottom, but over this weekend, I just did a test pull from my mould for the cover. Few areas that need to be cleaned up and filled on the mould, but overall I'm happy with the test pull. I did a test book boards from Plywood, and since I had no A3 paper on hand, I used a big brown envelope (even though I had a big roll of brown Kraft paper upstairs... (improvisation waits for no memory recall!)

I then did a test paint, just to see how the watered down acrylics spread on the latex test pull resulted. Which leads me to positing here looking for help. I have the mould now filled etc for the imperfections etc. The next pull will be the final, and I'll be beginning binding the 70 odd pages that will be in the book once the waxed linen thread arrives in the next couple of days. . I'm looking for help as regards bonding the latex pull to the plywood boards covered in brown paper. I have picked up some Elmer's rubber cement... but I'm not sure if this will be adequate, and wondering if some of the wise and helpful people here can chime in and give me some advice on what adhesives to use.

I'm also looking for advice on.... what can I use, if I can... to clear coat the latex cover with when it is on the book... maybe to make the colours just pop, and add some extra protection (i've searched the site, but none of the answers seemed to be suitable for my predicament. I've been out of the latex crafting hobby for almost ten years now at this stage. I probably will end up doing a silicone cover from the mould next, but since I'm so close, I'd like to finish off one with the next latex pull. Can anyone help as regards both questions? And thank you for the help in advance.

And on with the pics... and a reminder, these were just a test pull and test paint, so apologies, it's a bit sloppy.

IMG_9595.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9617.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9619.jpg

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9629.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

IMG_9649.JPG

IMG_9644.JPG

IMG_9647 2.jpg

IMG_9650 2.jpg

IMG_9643.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    B Wo, laellee and Howlrunner like this.
  2. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Re: ED1 Book of the Dead, (WIP) and some help needed.

IMG_9663.JPG

IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9696.JPG

IMG_9695.JPG

IMG_9698.jpg

IMG_9700.JPG

IMG_9702.jpg

IMG_9703.jpg
    IMG_9704.jpg

IMG_9705.jpg

Conqueror_Worm likes this.
  3. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Re: ED1 Book of the Dead, (WIP) and some help needed.

IMG_9708.jpg

IMG_9709.jpg

IMG_9710.jpg

IMG_9711.jpg

IMG_9713.JPG

IMG_9715.jpg

Conqueror_Worm likes this.
  4. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon Naturom Demonto, (WIP) .

Just completed the box case for holding. It was a cheap unfinished one from somewhere on amazon. Has a light activated sound module underneath the padding on the lid, so when the box case is opened, the reel player audio from Professor Knowby from Evil Dead 1 and Evil Dead 2 plays. Low quality pics. Oh and inert shotgun shells from http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/shooting_inertammo.html

IMG_9775.jpg

IMG_9778.JPG

IMG_9781.JPG

IMG_9782.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

jonr and dontfeedmyego like this.
  5. dhunpael

dhunpael Active Member

Thats just awesome.
    Where did you get the pages to fill the book?

6. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Nice work on this! Turned out fantastic!

7. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys :) 290+ views on this forum and no replies :/. So some positivity is well received.

The pages were from googling and vectorising on Adobe illustrator. Worst thing, in the last 24 hours, I got my hands on the Ultimate Edition DVD of the Evil Dead, and there is an Easter Egg on the DVD menu that brings one to a hidden area, that shows the entire clip of Bruce Campbell flicking through the book. I'm about 5 pages short from the original, and about 4 pages out of order. I was close though :)

8. dhunpael

dhunpael Active Member

Are you going to make a run for this? :D

9. Contec

Contec Master Member

Danger Danger.....we do not speak of selling replicas of the necronomicon or Robby the robot.... It's worse than calling Beetlejuice 3 times...

DaddyfromNaboo likes this.
  10. horus

horus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work, A movie from childhood, disturbed by trees ever since.

11. dhunpael

dhunpael Active Member

Ok, didn't know that.
    I just think it's a realy cool book.
    (Never seen the movies)

12. Contec

Contec Master Member

The original prop maker "Tom Sullivan" (also a member here) has the copyright for the evil dead book of the dead, and he is very quick to contact and send out C/D letter to anyone that sells copys of his book. He is fine with people making their own but selling is a big no no..... Almost the same thing is it with a maker of 1:1 sized Robby the robot (forbidden planet) called Fred Barton but he is more of a dick because he tries to stop anyone from making a RtR for themselves.

Rhett Thanas likes this.
  13. dhunpael

dhunpael Active Member

Ok, thanks for the heads up.
    I'll try to build my own :)

14. firespiter

firespiter New Member

Those are fantastic. I'm a huge fan of the Evil Dead series and applaud Tom Sullivan for his contributions.
    With the advent of Ash vs. The Evil dead on Stars in a month, I've been foaming at the mouth to finish work on a book-safe or book-box version of the Necronomicon (ex mortis) for my favorite board game. So the past few nights I've been working on putting this together. This isn't actually a prop as much as fancy storage.
    The box will hold the bulk of miniatures for FFG's "Mansions of Madness" (A board game based on HP Lovecraft writings...Call of Cthulhu, Dunwich Horror, etc. and the originator of the Necronomicon mythos.) The "book" had to be large enough to hold all of the investigators and humanoid monsters yet small enough to fit into the storage box (A large briefcase) that holds all of the other board game components (tiles, markers, instruction books, larger monster minis, etc.).

My version is based on the one from Army of Darkness (when Ash has to go retrieve the book from the cemetery) made from a hobby store wooden box book. And I built-up the front with string, glue and air-dry-clay before applying a pigskin cover. These pics were taken prior to adding a wax sealing on it. It's a bit darker now and has a nice sheen now from the wax and buff. No one has to worry about me selling this one or making more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

That looks fantastic. I have a spare box that I used for the case, and had the idea of giving it a necronomicon look from Army of Darkness, and inside it, holding the book from the first one. It would be a lot more work though, sculpting again, and casting etc. But... I'm tempted.

***Please if anyone can help****:

I am going to make a silicone cast from my mold. I'm just about to purchase either Mold Max, or Dragon Skin in the next hour or two. Does anyone have any advice as regards which product to purchase, as regards pliability etc. I'm purchasing from this price list http://www.grs.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/GRS-Smooth-on-price-list.pdf as it is within 30 miles of me. I have no idea which shore hardness to buy etc. Sorry for the noob question.

16. dhunpael

dhunpael Active Member

ok, this book keeps going through my mind.
    What is the best way to accuire the pages?
    Just get them of google image search?

17. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

I spent about a week of my spare time googling, resizing, sharpening, vectorising and colour overlaying in photoshop and illustrator. There are some hand drawn images on this forum if you can find them. To be honest, I'm about 4 pages out of all the pages in the original book as per the Easter Egg on the ultimate edition. The four pages I can't seem to find anywhere in good quality, so it looks like I'll be hand drawing them for the final book I'm making with a silicone cover to last.

18. peteskywalker

peteskywalker New Member

Did notice you already made one also, awesome work man :)

19. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

If anyone can give some advice...... I did a test silicone cast of the cover. What is the best way to attach this to the hard back book cover? Any common glue? epoxies etc? I tried the bonder I had and no luck.

20. Destarius

Destarius New Member

Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon , (WIP) Some silicone gluing advice needed

My personal preference is skin textures depends on the type of silicone whether they "do it for me". I like the look and feel of latex for skin overall. That's just my preference though.

Smooth on sells a product called Sil-poxy that could solve your bonding issue. Silicone is a pain in that respect as it loves bonding to itself and usually nothing else.

Best of luck

21. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon , (WIP) Some silicone gluing advice needed

Thanks for the reply :). I contacted the supplier earlier, and she recommended the same thing. Hopefully it should be arriving tomorrow. I tried silicone caulk as a glue... it seems to have worked, but I'm not sure about the strength of it.

22. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon , Now with chainsaw (WIP)

Well, after getting my hands on a working Panasonic / National Reel Player, doing the silicone ED1 Book of the dead, I decided to start sculpting the ED2 book. But that was short lived, because this groovy baby arrived in the mail! (supplied by an eBay user http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro-chainsaw-supply, who was great to deal with, sourced me one, stripped it, cleaned it, and sent me the body super fast!) And a big thank you to Rob from evildeadchainsaws.com for supplying a few parts at short notice! Both these guys are great to deal with! Heroes!)

Yep...

The 237th RPF Evil Dead chainsaw build thread

$_122.JPG

IMG_9867.jpg

IMG_9870.jpg

Once the Friday night hangover subsided, I started work on it a few hours ago. I've put a speaker on the inside body, with the activation button on the hand rail inside, so when the button is pressed : "You shall dieeeeeeee" plays, followed by some loud chainsaw sounds, and then followed by "I'll swallow your soul" and "Come get some."

IMG_9874.jpg
    IMG_9876.jpg
    IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

IMG_9882.jpg

Will fabricate a blade from some plywood, two bike chains, some silicone chainsaw teeth, and lots of ben nye blood scab / glue mixture.
    Will upload a video of the audio asap once iPhoto finishes it's update.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    nick daring and dontfeedmyego like this.
  23. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Re: Evil Dead Necronomicon , Now with Chainsaw (WIP)

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions about making a fake chain for a chainsaw? Ordered some bike chains from amazon, but the parcel has been lost in transit :(

24. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You could try some plastic roller chain. It is basically plastic bike chain. It's available at McMaster-Carr or Amazon, though it doesn't sound like you've had great luck w/ Amazon.

25. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

I decided to continue on with the ED2 Book of the Dead. Here's a pic of the first test with Dragon Skin Silicone, will hopefully mount it on a book tomorrow.

IMG_0080.JPG

26. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excerllent work! On my list of project to do one day.

SO far which material do you prefer for the book cover Latex vs Silicone?

27. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Latex is easier, and less messy to paint, but hands down the dragon skin silicone 20. Have a ED1 made from Mold Max 20 or something, and this ED2 silicone. The ED1 Mold was deep, so the silicone is quite thick on it, so I learnt and made the second mold a lot shallower, which has worked out perfect so far. It will be a lot more pliable to attach to the cover wood than the former! Just finished binding the pages for this one, so hopefully tomorrow I'll have completion pics.

In short, the feeling of the silicone is nuts on it :D really adds to it.

dontfeedmyego likes this.
  28. orhadar

orhadar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome! makes me wanna make my own now.
    probably be my next project, though I'll be making the Ash vs. Evil dead version as I think it's the cleaner of hem all.
    anyway, looks really great and accurate!

29. Lobothemainman

Lobothemainman New Member

You know it really p***es me off that Tom Sullivan wields copyright the way he does so he can gouge people with his only $600 limited print replicas. I really want an affordability priced one and don't have the skill to make my own, but this guy wants to be tool about it. Makes me very angry that I'll likely never get one do to his ridiculous copyright claims.

30. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

I can understand you, as I had always wanted one and tried to buy one from Tom, but to never hear back from him when I agreed the price, (which makes me wonder, if he is okay). But to be honest man, his price tag of $1,000 is actually pretty good!. He only does the ED1 book though. But for that $1,000, you get an item made by the original creator, great quality prints of the original art etc. The amount of time, and cost of materials just to make one book, doesn't really justify it when one can buy one from Tom for 1,000. I've spent a fortune on plaster, latex, silicone, wood, parchment paper, book binding kits, paper card, paints, silpoxy adhesive,silcpig paints, thickener, Ease Release 200 silicone, brushes etc. I don't live anywhere near places where I can get these items readily, so with the cost of shipping these items, it all does really add up in cost. I've had some casts that the silicone never cured fully, so more silicone test kits had to be bought etc. Then add the amount of time for trial and error etc. Right now... $1,000 dollars seems to me a fair price to be honest for a piece of Tom's work. It's not the first time that I've chosen an endeavour that works out almost as expensive as just purchasing the time. My ******* Chucky, I could have bought 2 of the rare Sideshows from Japan for € 700 a piece!.

It's all relative though. If someone has the materials lying around, or some of them, it's worth giving a shot. Starting from scratch in hindsight.. I'd much prefer just to buy Tom's! :D

31. Kawika

Kawika New Member

Hi guys, I'm new here and wanted to show a replica I've made. I've made a few in the past and this one, for me, is my best work so far. It's just a cover and the pages will eventually come. I don't know yet if I'll add the pages from the reboot(2013) or replicas from the original necronomicon. Any suggestions? Hope you like it and I am open to all critics..
    NOTE: This is just a re-imagination of the books. I didn't want to create a screen accurate replica as I do not have all the stuff to make one.
    001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

32. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Thought I better update the thread with the silicone ED2 book, as I never got around to posting a complete pic.

1.jpg

2.jpg

33. Rhett Thanas

Rhett Thanas Active Member

Odin82 and Kawika these look amazing. I wish Tom offered a higher quality version of this iconic prop since he won't allow the sale of more detailed reproductions. Maybe with the show hitting its second season we'll see a new version that at least opens like a book should. My girlfriend would lose her mind (har har) if I could scare up a decent-looking replica.
    Odin82 if you're still stuck with bookbinding questions, I have a friend who is a professional Bookbinder in Boston, I'd be happy to put you two in touch.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  34. evy74

evy74 New Member

Nice thread, I'm looking into building the Necronomicon using paper maché.

Just real quick I noticed that the pull cord handle isn't made of wood on that chainsaw...

35. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I never got around to that small detail :D. When winter comes in Ireland, the passion to work on hobbies outdoors wanes (although it would take all of 2 minutes to do!) Sadly, the ED2 book in the thread I had to sell. Still have the mould, but not sure if I'll get the chance to make another one.

36. Odin82

Odin82 Well-Known Member

So back in January I set out to identify the map used in the Evil Dead intro scene, the map Bruce Campbell is holding. I didn't want to publicise it until I managed to nab one.

The map is a "Pictorial Map of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park Area" or "Souvenir Pictorial Map of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park". Two issues of the map were released by Aerial Photography Services, with the map artist Bill C. Brown. The years were 1971 (white cover) and 1975 (yellow cover). They are rare to find… one White sold on Ebay late December 2016 for 99 cent, and a Yellow appeared on eBay recently, for 35 dollars, so I snapped it up immediately. (another sold yesterday for 4.99 to a fellow ED fan I tipped off)

In the intro you can see a clip of the folded map cover… it appears white and you can see the side of the cover image. I remembered that in the special "From the cutting room floor" on some release, there were jump cuts with clips of a map that lasted for one second, so I screenshot them, found the placename on the map, and through a lot of searching, finally found the map.

http://imgur.com/a/6gHDW

$_57-1.JPG

$_57-2.JPG

Just out of interest for any other ED fans looking to track one down.

$_57-1.JPG

$_57-2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018