Eve's Work in Progress - Female pred mask sculpt

Pretty Huntress

So I finally started to sculpt my mask and this is my progress so far. I've go the basic structure down despite some parts being a little off (I feel so artistically challenged omg). After that I plan on correcting that later though. As you can see in one of the pics, I used cut-up pop bottles to help me extend the armature. The taper at the back of the neck was wierd though, so I ended up having to cut some of it off. I've only used about 7lbs of klean clay so far. I started it at 9pm last night and now I'm taking an extended break lol...After I level everything out, I plan on adding some ridges and then figuring out how to smooth it out. Please let me know what you think so far!

Thanks!

~Eve~

IMG00248_20101023_0256.jpg

IMG00249_20101023_0307.jpg

IMG00251_20101023_0641.jpg

Keep at it! The trick with sculpting it working on it like you did for a bunch of hours.

THEN... you walk away and come back later. Doing this you come back and see it in a different light! You notice things that you want to change etc.

Point is give the whole things lots of time and love and you will be happy! Let it evolve on its own and experiment.

It is looking good so far!! Love it.

Thanks everyone! All you encouraging words really help. I've found that since the clay is so heavy on the back of the armature, I need to switch the base that it sits on to something with more weight. I think I'll get a wood block and attach the armature to that...but then again, I started working on it again today and I don't really like the angle of the back of the head. But I still have to extend the neck so it'll probably work a lot better as soon as I do that. Well, when I get a better base for the armature, I'll put some more pics up regarding what I've done so far. Thanks again everyone!

Okay here are some updated pictures! I taped the heck out of the armature to a heavier base and it worked out pretty well. I'm going to start working on the back but I ran out of clay so I will be ordering more soon. Please let me know what you think so far. I'm trying to think of other unique characteristics to add...enjoy!

IMG00253_20101024_0221.jpg

IMG00256_20101024_0335.jpg

IMG00257_20101024_0335.jpg

Here are a couple more updated pics...just changed the ridges and tried to even out the cheeks. I really need some more clay though...hopefully I'll have some by the end of this week.

IMG00258_20101025_0009.jpg

IMG00259_20101025_0009.jpg

Thanks! I actually decided to change the way the ridges were yet again lol...and I finally figured out how to even out the cheeks. They probably are still a little off but I think this may be as close as I can get them. The picture is kinda fuzzy so you may not be able to tell. Still waiting on the rest of my clay to get here so I can finish the back and then I can start making all the structural revisions and then get started on detailing. But I still have a ways to go...anyway here is an updated pic (a preview with some of the teeth in). Hope you like!

IMG00264_20101026_1900.jpg

are you gonna go for normal size dreads or thinner ones? My opinion is more abundant skinny dreads has a more female appearance.and longer like 3 feet

Thanks everyone!!!

@ newpred - That's a good idea. I'll keep that in mind when designing the dread holes.

Unfortunately, the first mishap of my process happened last night. Why my armature's neck decided to go on strike is a mystery to me but while I was smoothing some stuff out on the face the armature's neck snapped in half and the mask almost fell off the table. I definitely saw my life flash before my eyes. Luckily, nothing was messed up because I caught it in time. I was sooooooooooo annoyed!!! I tried to re-duct tape it back together but that didn't work; the mask is just to heavy and the neck can't support it. I think I will have to find some sort of stick/pole that I can insert to give it more stability and then duct tape the crap out of the neck again. And its funny that it this happened too because I just took off a bunch of clay from the back so you would think that it would be lighter. Anyways, until I find something extra to support it I will continue to work on it by laying it on it's sides (which isn't affecting anything thankfully). I changed the ridge pattern yet again and I will upload some more pictures tonight. If any of you have any suggestions on how to better reinforce please let me know, I am open to anything. Next time, I'll just get a heavy-duty armature instead of a little foam one...*sigh*

Again, thank you for all the comments and support!

~Eve

Eve.. what a way to make yourself known on the Lair.. Your work is absolutley beautiful. Your Pred is pretty badass to put it simple. Wish I had more motivation to get my sculpt going. Yet you keep on trukkin along, even when you nearly mess up your sculpt. Thats dedication

Thanks everyone! Here are some more pictures. I just finished making all the dread holes on the back. However, with the mask being so heavy (its like 15lbs) the armature still is giving me issues. Actually I shouldn't say the armature...its the base this time. I need to figure something out because in another week or two I'm definitely should be ready to do my first ultracal 30 cast. Well at least is a good learning experience. Anyways, I'm liking the way its turning out so far. I still need to do a little work on the back just to smooth it out some more and I also need to finish the mandibles and then start on detailing it. Other than that the progress is coming along nicely. Oooooo I'm so excited!!!

IMG00268_20101031_0336.jpg

IMG00269_20101031_0336.jpg

IMG00270_20101031_0337.jpg

bummer about your armature. if you plan to sculpt anymore look into getting a good one. also a good thing to do is to install a plastic pipe in it and make a turntable with a rod that you would slide the armature down on to. then if you do any one sided heavy sculpts it will be supported by the rod holding up your armature. when i get home ill take some pics of mine and show you what i mean.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back