Everybody loves rescue bucky or its my turn for rescue bucky

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Maryfoxfirebird, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Maryfoxfirebird

Maryfoxfirebird Active Member

While I'm still waiting for my avengers 2 suit to be finished I finally caved and started put together a Rescue Bucky outfit. I scored a sick leather jacket on sale at wilsons and a pair of khakis with cargo pockets at the gap. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    XmrniceguyX likes this.
  2. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg Today's scores some deer hide gloves and a ww2 compass. I'm debating on what photo to put in. Not pictured is some green pants cut to create the reinforced knees on the khaki cargo pants. Still hunting for the web gear, .45 holster, helmet and goggles.

3. Maryfoxfirebird

View attachment 451577 I have rigger pants. I just need to clean up the edges and another piece of the outfit is done :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. kcail1

kcail1 Active Member

Nice work! Love that coat.
    kcail

5. Maryfoxfirebird

6. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg The outfit thus far I have a paratrooper helmet on the way and a shield of oak heart armory both soon to be painted. I'm having trouble finding od web gear....but very pleased so far with results.

7. keepcalmcostume

keepcalmcostume Active Member

Really excellent progress. And put together so fast! That jacket is gorgeous, and your modified pants turned out a lot better than mine did. I finally broke down and bought some real ones this week.

I got most of my web gear - suspenders, cartridge belt, and map case strap - from At the Front because I'd had good experiences with them in the past and they have all the correct gear but offer budget versions of a few things. They have the compass pouches and general purpose strap too, but I got mine elsewhere (I can dig up the name of the eBay store if you'd like). I think What Price Glory and WWII Impressions have all or most of the correct gear too, but I've never ordered from them so I can't speak to their quality. And if you have a surplus store near you, you might find something that works there.

8. Maryfoxfirebird

I've been on their site but I'm still debating between green khaki or straight up od I really like the dark green from the hot toys figure. image.jpg

9. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

I have ordered from both What Price Glory and WWII Impressions, never had a problem.
    And if you don't like the lighter colored khaki green web gear, you can always stain it with coffee.

10. Maryfoxfirebird

Oooh thanks for the tip :) how does one stain with coffee?

11. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Make coffee and then soak the item or items in the coffee.
    Rinse and dry.
    You now have an organic dye that sets to natural fibers.
    Start light in color and darken to suit you desired final tone and keep grinds and crystals out of your solution underless you want dark spots.

You can also brush the solution on the stain highlighted areas...high soil areas.

Also, a nice way to age paper.

jamesalton1 likes this.
  12. Maryfoxfirebird

Brilliant. I don't drink coffee so I can waste it on dying web gear. Can't wait to try this technique.

13. keepcalmcostume

I second the coffee stain idea. Really great technique you can use on a lot of stuff.

14. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg The shield arrived today looks good out of the box....down side is the mounted the straps as a knight would have them not as cap would. Any suggestions for filling in the screw holes?

15. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

After removing the screws, rough the inside of the holes with sandpaper. Place a piece of masking tape to cover the front holes and fill from the back with JB weld.

Use a bamboo skewer to push the JB into the holes but not enough to deflect/distort the contour of the tape and level the back with a popsicle stick.

Once dry remove the masking tape, holes are filled and there should be liitle sanding required. Minor air bubbles can be built up with primer and leveled with fine grit sanding.

16. Maryfoxfirebird

Thanks Fly. :)

17. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg Finally got the bolts not screws removed via my local tru value. Cost $2 and an in costume appearance once it's finished. Bought a gout trowel with a screw off handle for a solid grip. Not pictured is a leather forarm strap. Roughing out the lines. JB weld and painter tape are next on the shopping list.

18. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg I was in Denver today interviewing new tailors/ seamstresses for my avengers 2 suit....aka my nightmare. So I had time to go to fedex office and have some pics printed for my compass. A canon Peggy pic and a gender swap "Agent Paul Carter".....

19. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Shield and goggles work today. Filled in the holes and torn up parts of the shield. Trimmed the plastic around the lenses will be painting them white and adding white elastic to the back. Hope to premier this at the local beer fest :)

20. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg Painted it up today.....man the stars are a pain in the you know where. Hopefully I can get it looking awesome soon. On the way is my helmet and suspenders:)

21. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg The shield so far......just now realized that one of the smaller stars is too close to the big one.....d'oh. More web gear and pieces coming in the mail.

22. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg The outfit so far.....

23. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg The back of the shield is done :) helmet comes tomorrow as does the web gear...getting in to high gear so can premier this at the local beer fest costume contest

24. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg Helmet, web gear and leggings came in today. Now on to painting and coffee dying....will have a finished outfit by this evening

25. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg Before and after the coffee dye. image.jpg image.jpg Big shout out to @Fly4v and keepcalmcostume for the coffee dying tip and general awesomeness

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    keepcalmcostume likes this.
  26. keepcalmcostume

That turned out great!

27. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg Well whatya think? Am I ready to rescue bucky?

28. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg The 21st century is scary

29. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Had some pics taken atop peak 8 in Breckinridge and some at the beer fest....next time I'll wear my contacts

Yrien likes this.
  30. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Some pics from Sunday at StarFest Denver and I found an agent carter too :)

31. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Some pics from Salt Lake City with Sebastian Stan and Felicia Day

32. Maryfoxfirebird

I'm still not happy with belt coloring so I'm using the same dye from my Aou gear. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I really like the darker green against the reddish brown leather jacket.

33. Maryfoxfirebird

Looking to sling the shield onto my back....took some screenshots and I can't find a visible means on how he wears it
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Any suggestions?

34. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Single clip cantle strap from the handle of your shield that can clip to the D-ring on your suspenders.

35. Maryfoxfirebird

do you have a pic of the setup? Do you run it through both handles? Thanks in advance you've been a big help while building this.

36. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Maryfoxfirebird likes this.
  37. Maryfoxfirebird

image.jpeg Good news and bad/good news after months of hunting on eBay I finally found a good pair of actual WW2 AN 6350 goggles thus making my helmet screen accurate. Bad/good news I'm putting my Rescue Bucky Captain America kit up for sale. I have an opportunity to travel and work abroad in New Zealand and rather rent a storage unit I would like to find this collection a good home. Will be posting a proper sales ad soon.