Ever notice how DVD/Blu-Ray sales work

PepMaster

Sr Member
Have you ever noticed when you go to the store, a movie will release, let's use Harry Potter for example, they will have a DVD/B-Ray for Part 2 which should be coming out soon, then they will aslo have a 2 pack which would be parts 1 and 2, not too long after that you'll see all 7 in a set, then around Christmas, you'll see all 7 as a Gift Set with some additional bonus to all of it.
I just find it funny that this is what the distributors are doing to make a buck in hopes that people will either keep the old copy or buy a new copy or set to go along with thier collection.

Last edited:
It's been this way forever. It's an easy way to make extra money and good for business. They can handle people complaining about it no sweat with all the extra cash it brings in.

It's getting to be that way with bonus content only being on blueray in a few cases, soon normal dvds will have no extras.

This is fundamental economics. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the folks running a multi-billion dollar company might actually know what they are doing. If this technique didn't work like a mofo, they wouldn't be doing it left and right.

Vote with your wallet, not with your voice :)

The other thing they do is drop big titles to like seven bucks. That's when you know a new super special, director's cut, extended edition is coming.

They learned that off Star Wars' many releases. While they say ONLY FOR A LIMITED TIME, yes that might be true, but they only are referring to THAT giftset release. Soon after they'll put out a different one and so on and so on. I can't even count how many different box sets and mixes of movie edition sets Harry Potter has put out. Quite possibly much more set offerings than Star Wars. I remember seeing box sets for Years 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-5 treasure chest set, 1-6, 1-7 part 1, an now i'm sure 1-7 part 2... not to mention other gimmick inclusion sets with stuff in it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back