EVA Vs Plastazote

Polygono

Hi everyone

Right first post here. I am plaing to build a iron man suit too. Now I have been looking in the forum and youtube all the methods to build suit and I decided to go the foam way.

Now EVA vs Plastazote what are your thought on this and also what density?
I have all the pepakura file etc and I am ready to start building. I know thickness should be around 4mm max.

Can you please given some guideline to start with

Well, I'd suggest EVA foam over the plastazote. EVA takes hot glue better than plastazote, which usually repels it slightly because of its waterproofing. Also, EVA can be sealed and hardened easier using plastidip, which doesn't hold too well to plastazote.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

EVA for sure. And some advice, from my own personal experience, don't use 4mm foam for the whole build. Use 6mm for the majority and 4mm for the smaller parts.

I say that because I used 4mm for the majority of my build. It falls apart much easier. all the pieces I made in 6mm and above are still in tact. I even made my helmet from 6mm EVA and it looked pretty darn good.

I'm a noob and I'm using 6mm EVA. It's working pretty well for me. Vinny is right it does take the glue really well. Thank god you guys paved the way so us new guys could learn from all of your trial and error.

Hey All,

I was rather glad to see another person asking this question. It's been a long time since I did any type of prop work so decided to try out the pep work using foam. I did pick up some 3mm foam from my Local Hobby Lobby and just scored some 6mm foam from a Michaels yesterday but have not had a chance to work with it and compare the two.

Does anyone have a good source for EVA and Plastazote in the US?

Thanks.
Dean

Hey All,

I was rather glad to see another person asking this question. It's been a long time since I did any type of prop work so decided to try out the pep work using foam. I did pick up some 3mm foam from my Local Hobby Lobby and just scored some 6mm foam from a Michaels yesterday but have not had a chance to work with it and compare the two.

Does anyone have a good source for EVA and Plastazote in the US?

Thanks.
Dean

Stealth lead me to this company on ebay - Wandy Foam

They have pretty much whatever you want for a heck of a lot less than a store

Thank you so much for the advice. I will get ordering materials

Flagwaver Can you please given me a bit more information regarding plastidip. Is it toxic? Do I need a mask when spraying it? How many coats do I need to do before applying paint? Do I need to prime the part first? Just give me some tips please.

VinnyboyXI Thank for the advice man. I will get 6mm and 4mm foam. Now should I use say 6mm for chest large parts and 4mm for small parts? How about the head 6mm or 4mm? can you give me a bit more advice?

STEALTH bbbbbiiiiggg thanks for all the time you spend for making the tutorials on you channel on youtube you given me the idea to start :thumbsup

Can you also can anyone advice to which density do I need to get?
Here in the UK you can get different densities in 4mm and 6 mm see here Plain EVA Sheeting

Thanks you in advanced.
Poly

VinnyboyXI Thank for the advice man. I will get 6mm and 4mm foam. Now should I use say 6mm for chest large parts and 4mm for small parts? How about the head 6mm or 4mm? can you give me a bit more advice?

Here is what I learned from all the mistakes I made with my suit...

I used 1/2 inch for chest, 4mm for abs and shins, and 6mm for arms, shoes, thighs and helmet. (reason Its sooo mixed up is because I ran out of the 1/2" and 4mm and I didnt have time to order any more online. I found 6mm later at Michael's)

What I should have done was use 6mm for almost everything and then 4mm for the smaller parts (Hands, helmet, neck and other detail areas). THEN thin foamies for the fingers and really small accent parts.

I did make the helmet out of 6mm foam because that's all I had, but I was very happy how it turned out. But I definitely recommend using the 4mm

I am definitely going to be rebuilding this suit from scratch. This time I'm going to try the 1/4" foam mate that everyone seems to be using.

Flagwaver Can you please given me a bit more information regarding plastidip. Is it toxic? Do I need a mask when spraying it? How many coats do I need to do before applying paint? Do I need to prime the part first? Just give me some tips please.
It's about as toxic as spray paint. Do about three to five coats, allowing each to dry before the next coat. You can prime the part first, but Krylon Fusion takes to it very well.

I am going to be working on a Mark V build out of foam and was wondering where a good place in the U.S. is to get the foam online. I'm going to be checking my Wal-Mart hopefully tomorrow but I was just wondering in case i can't find anywhere to pick some up in person. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the additional forma information. Here is the link to EVA foam products, Safe soft Flooring items in Craft Foam store on eBay!. Because I like to comparison shop here is a basic run down of what Wandy-Foam offers vs what I purchased locally.

3mm 12x18 sheet is the same as buying at my local Hobby Lobby, this might change depending on your sales tax and if they are running any good sales. I happened into the store when the foam was 30% off which they do on a fairly regular basis.

6mm 12x18 sheet is a better deal then what I found locally at Michaels which only sells 9x12 in black and white. Not only is it cheaper from Wandy-foam but you also get the same exact selection of colors as in the 3mm range.

Plastazote! Eventually I turned up a company that quoted me the following prices.

The price is as follows
10mm x 1000mm x 2000mm - $19.00/sheet for black or white material
10mm x 1000mm x 2000mm - $21.00/sheet for yellow or red material.
Sheets would need to be ordered in multiples of 3. Lead time is 4 to 5 weeks.

If my math is correct, and it always is (not) the imperial size would be roughly 3/8" x 40" x 80". (It's late and I am too tired and lazy to do the conversion :)

Once it's decided which colors to buy I will place an order so I can do some testing and see how it compares. If someone knows of a place to order Plastazote at a cheaper price, or the same price but quicker ship time please let me know. I'm outside Chicago and not opposed to picking things up locally.

Dean

Thanks you guys. After checking out STEALTH tutorials I am trying to locate where to buy EVA. Best-Step Anti-Fatigue Foam Flooring that is using I can only locate 11mm thick which too thick for the build. I looks at craft foam but is too thin 1-2mm. Does anyone know any good place to buy EVA in UK? I am looking on the internet and ebay and I cant locate any place in UK.

Can Please Help?

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
It's about as toxic as spray paint. Do about three to five coats, allowing each to dry before the next coat. You can prime the part first, but Krylon Fusion takes to it very well.

It's actually WAY MORE toxic than rattle cans. It's commonly referred to as "Death in a Can". Best to spray outside, with a full respirator, upwind. Even better if you can con a friend to spray it for you while you watch from inside through a closed window (Still wearing a respirator)...

EVA foam is your best bet for armor. I used it for the knee and shoulder armor for the Armored Vault suit from Fallout 3.

Guys, i have a question: What's Plastidip formula? I live in Brazil and here we don´t have this stuff as i know. Anyone?

It's actually WAY MORE toxic than rattle cans. It's commonly referred to as "Death in a Can". Best to spray outside, with a full respirator, upwind. Even better if you can con a friend to spray it for you while you watch from inside through a closed window (Still wearing a respirator)...

HAHAHAHA!!! :lol I'll be sure to remember this tip for future reference. The "still wearing a respirator" finisher killed me.

I'm in the US and have been trying to find a good foam supplier. Could you tell me where you got these quotes from? My teenager is begging me to make her an Ironman (girl??) suit.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back