Etching, engraving of cutlery / pots and pans...

TomVDJ

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, I could use some metal-workers expertise here. I have a large number of cutlery (coocking knifes, big spoons and forks, pots, pans, etc...) that need text (if possible a logo) engraved or etched in them to make it possible to distinct this material out of other material. This equipment is made out of metal / stainless steel. We are talking about dozens of knifes here, 15 tot 20 pots, etc... In the future, more material will be bought.

Does sombody know the least expensive way / most handy way to have this material marked by etching or engraving? Engraving this by hand with an engraving pen, seems very time-consuming to me. Also the marking needs to be somewhat heat-resistant.

Sorry for this slightly off-topic question, since it has not much to do with prop-replica's, but somebody came up with this problem, and I promised them to ask on a place I knew where a lot of people have exprtise with working with metals. ;). Any ideas or advice is welcome guys, even if it is rather expensive...

Very interesting method! But would need to have some ready-made templates for the text then. Might be worht investigating further. Thanks for the tip!

Also there you need some kind of template if you want clear lettering.

In the meanwhile I contacted a firm that creates heat-resistant labels... If these can withstand oven and coocking tempratures, this might be an easier solution to mark them. OK, labels can be removed and etching can't, but the main purpose is to mark these things to avoid confusion, not to prevent stealing...

The flat stuff you can engrave on a CNC or something, but the pots and larger, odd shaped stuff is the tricky bit. I would either media blast it (sand blast) or chemically etch it. Either way, you'll need some templates just to make life easy. Otherwise grab the engraving pen, put on some music and get to engraving and try not to count the pieces done or left to do or look at a clock. ;)

cermark and laser cutter/engraver will work to 'mark' the metal..

If you dont want to use any sort of stencil or pre-made lettering..
just grab a screwdriver and make a scratch on the bottoms.. so you know its 'different'.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back