Estimated Going Price for an Original RB Touring Vader Helmet?

NathanM

I'm curious if one were to come to the market, what a reasonable price would be? I know info like this is kept close to the chest maybe, and I understand the hesitency around these things which is all in service to protect the community but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

RB made 5 original helmets for Lucasfilm in ‘77. (Photo below). Only one escaped the possession of George Lucas himself. Lucas burned one in the funeral fire scene of ROJ, and one was lost. Of the 3 known to still exist, two are well documented and in the archives and the remaining one is in private hands. That one was photographed in 77 for the ESB advance poster and was part of the original suit auctioned last year. It will not be sold again in the lifetime of its existing caretaker (who’s now 50). So unless the remaining one is found, there isn’t a way to obtain one.

BTW, the one in private hands, photographed in 77 for the ESB poster, was recently restored along with the suit. Here it is;
E1833656-BB1C-4B33-A2FB-054E85E424ED.jpeg

Here are the five originals RB helmets in ‘77
BAFEA3F8-3CED-488E-9520-AC4D1C628A17.jpeg

Last edited:
RB, and the photo documenting the 5 when first made, also documents from February 28, 1978 between The Star Wars Corp. and Greg Cannom document the 5 being repaired.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought I saw on here no one knew the exact number? Also, didn't a few other employees pull from the mold? So only 5 were made for the touring?

Oh, I thought I saw on here no one knew the exact number? Also, didn't a few other employees pull from the mold? So only 5 were made for the touring?
There have been reports of people pulling from the original mold decades later. But 5 known to have been made initially by RB in 77 for various things, tour/photo promotions, with 3 of those known to still exist

Also, is the helmet I posted that sold a few years ago the one that was matched with that full costume sale?
No, that was an unfinished mold pull. The one in the costume sale was one of the five that RB completed (listed as number 1) that was photoed in 77 for the ESP advance poster and resided with the original costume since the late 70s

There isn’t complete documents of who wore the original suits. The components of the original suits (the assumption is 5 to go with the original number of helmets) were mixed up among the existing suits (along with the 1st used for filming). There’s two helmets remaining in the archives and pieces for two suits. So the one in the auction is the only one left and identified that is not owed by Lucas.

Last edited:
It's interesting that it's so hard to find out who played the touring Vader's. I guess records of that are spotty.

RB made 5 original helmets for Lucasfilm in ‘77. (Photo below). Only one escaped the possession of George Lucas himself. Lucas burned one in the funeral fire scene of ROJ, and one was lost. Of the 3 known to still exist, two are well documented and in the archives and the remaining one is in private hands. That one was photographed in 77 for the ESB advance poster and was part of the original suit auctioned last year. It will not be sold again in the lifetime of its existing caretaker (who’s now 50). So unless the remaining one is found, there isn’t a way to obtain one.

BTW, the one in private hands, photographed in 77 for the ESB poster, was recently restored along with the suit. Here it is;View attachment 1445887
Here are the five originals RB helmets in ‘77
View attachment 1445888
Wow! Never seen the 5 before!

Wow! Never seen the 5 before!
I’ve definitely seen that photo floating around here before. It’s a great one.

edit: this post

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back