Escape to Witch Mountain (1975) Tia's Starcase

Jet Beetle

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
My daughter asked me to pick up Escape to Witch Mountain on dvd because she'd seen it at a friend's house and loved it. After I brought it home she was quick to tell me it wasn't the right one - I had assumed she'd seen the new one (with Dwayne Johnson) but nope, she was talking about the original (the good one) with Kim Richards and the guy who grows up, joins Starfleet and is killed on his first mission by Khan for "staying at his post when the trainees ran". After I watched it with her I contemplated making her a Starcase like Tia had, with a hidden map showing where the kids needed to go to hook up with their spaceship. I grabbed some caps and wondering if anyone here has ever had a go at this or maybe can give some advice on how to tackle this baby.
vlcsnap-14081630.png

vlcsnap-14002941.png

it looks like metal but I'm betting it's not - a little girl spent months swinging this thing around on set - imagine the injuries if it was solid...:facepalm
vlcsnap-14007864.png

the hidden map
vlcsnap-14008180.png

Any first glance ideas on how to replicate?
vlcsnap-14080442.png

vlcsnap-14080387.png

vlcsnap-14037153-1.png

Last edited:
Oh cool..I remember the old movie, but its been a while... almost forgot about the case...
I think that the bulk of the piece could be resin casted...or finely sanded wood block painted to look metal and given a nice finish. Then maybe anondized aluminum for the blue plate. Thin metal plate (you can find in the model car section of most craft stores) for the star. Then the map maybe etched plexiglass with a panel or paint on the backside... the hinge looks like a fitted rivet.

Ahh fond memories. I agree the box is prob not metal. If you look at the screen with the map showing the upp right corner is chewed up a bit. Looks like they prob did a wooden box with silver paint and lacer to shine it up (for back then). But now adays, you can use something like the Krylon or other metal paints.

That bronze material of the side looks like a lenticular material similar to Marty's 2015 cap to me. Of course the raised map and the glyphs on the
leather strap is another thing.

Yep - that leather strap is going to be the pain if I decide to imprint the alien text - Wood with some sort of wrap sounds like something my mediocre skills can handle - the twin stars will have to be made a little tougher than the one in the movie looks - gator foam with a paper overlay

I've had this drawn up and on the back burner for the past 7 or 8 years. Cool little prop. One day when I'm all caught up; old and tired, I'll get around to this one.

Note: I found the blue material at a trophy shop. That one was popular in the 70's

-Rylo

Man I loved that movie. I'm wondering it its a case covered in that funky 70's holographic vinyl. Not the same as the old trans am dashes but its kinda wierd. Maybe it was on that crazy 70's wallpaper. I may be mistaken but I think I see a seam in one of the screenshots possibly giving away it may be a wrap. Would be an iconic prop to build for sure. If I was to guess something was used for it I'd say a table clock housing or desk clock.

If that blue stuff is from a trophy shop then maybe the gold stars, wrap and even the etching was done at one. Seems all the materials and techniques would be there. Maybe the main body is a trophy base? Maybe it was the propbuilder's old football trophy and he frankenbuilt the case. Low budget, 70's disney. Maybe makes sense?

Last edited:
I've had this drawn up and on the back burner for the past 7 or 8 years. Cool little prop. One day when I'm all caught up; old and tired, I'll get around to this one.

Note: I found the blue material at a trophy shop. That one was popular in the 70's

-Rylo

Man - it brings tears to my eyes knowing you won't be doing this - I'd know it'd be awesome.

And now that you mention the materials coming from a trophy shop - the 70's rushed back into my head and I totally remember that funky blue they used back then - color was king in those days.

A table clock is a great idea - one of those old white plastic ones they sold at Spencer's gifts. I gotta figure this thing out - these are great ideas - PLEASE keep em coming.

The map panel part looks sort of like the material used for a guitar pick guard. If you could get a piece of it in the right color, you could have the drawing laser etched and fill the lines with black paint and clean off the high spots to expose the bare material.

I might be able to hook you up witha place that does laser etching. If you need or want that contact, send me a PM.

Hi, has anyone been able to find a replica of Tia's star case for sale? ....or was anyone able to make one?

BUMP. This is something I would expect to see pop up on Etsy by now, sort of like the various Hellraiser puzzle boxes, but nope. Nothing. :(

Also, IMHO, the box looks like it may have been machined out of a big solid block of aluminum. I don't see how light can react that way without it being genuinely metallic (take a look at the surface of a CD or aluminum foil).

Last edited:
BUMP. This is something I would expect to see pop up on Etsy by now, sort of like the various Hellraiser puzzle boxes, but nope. Nothing. :(

Also, IMHO, the box looks like it may have been machined out of a big solid block of aluminum. I don't see how light can react that way without it being genuinely metallic (take a look at the surface of a CD or aluminum foil).
Wow. I thought I was the only one looking. I’d someone wants to sell me one I’m buying. This exceeds my skills.

OMG. I have been trying to find a real Starcase since I saw the movie back in the 80's. I have looked literally everywhere and still no one has ever made a copy of Tia's case! Anybody have a 3-D printer?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back