Escape Pod - all the donors being cast for you guys

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Before I built the Escape Pod with ALL STYRENE donors (shudder), I'm going to have the parts molded and cast so that any one who wants to build one can do so without spending horrific amounts of money and time to get the donors. Because if I build another, I am never going to do the gathering again! Brutal!! I don't know price, but it should be the biggest and most useful Greebie Pack yet!

As soon as I double check my pod body file, I'll make the STLs available so you guys can also just print the buckets.

None of this would have been possible without the help of countless people, chiefly Quincy, Craig, and Ed.

• John Geigle from Masterpiece Models will be offering these. He said yes, and I hope he doesn't go running for the hills after seeing these pics ;)
  • He also said the tank tracks will be rubbery! Wheeee!
  • Oh! Not pictured are the Kubelwagen bits with the perforated screens. I did a rubbing of the pattern from the Death Star Tile I have access to, and will be making the screen pieces this weekend :)
    IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg

Escape Pod body for you to print. There is a solid "disk" equator or a cored option. It's up to you to figure out a mounting system. The divots around the equator are for the Sealab body caps to nestle into - I hope I got the depth right on that one. At least it gives you their locations!
I MIGHT MODIFY THESE AFTER I PRINT ONE... but for those of you who like to live fast and loose:
Dropbox - Escape Pod finals - Simplify your life

That is really nice thank you for the time and work you spent. It is very rare today that someone gives something for free.

That is really nice thank you for the time and work you spent. It is very rare today that someone gives something for free.

Ill second the above. Im not in the market for an escape pod but truly appreciate the gesture for the fellow modelers. Cheers to you Moff!

Quick Question... Isn't the main body of the Pod a couple of paint buckets? Would it be simpler to get a hold of a couple or are they unavailable?

BTW your making the file and the parts available is seriously a Good Kharma act :D. I hope it pays off for you :)

Jedi Dade

Quick Question... Isn't the main body of the Pod a couple of paint buckets? Would it be simpler to get a hold of a couple or are they unavailable?

BTW your making the file and the parts available is seriously a Good Kharma act :D. I hope it pays off for you :)

Jedi Dade

The original were vintage Kentucky Fried Chicken buckets. The new KFC buckets aren't the correct shape.

Wow, Jeff (geez - JASON [I knew that!]) - this is awesome! I'm on travel all of January and can't do much about this until I'm back home, but I'll keep an eye on this thread and PM you for purchase when I'm back and you're ready. Very generous of you to do all this. I gotta attempt one of these!

Dan

Last edited:
I've always believed that the perforated material used on the tiles to be the same as the one used on the EP. It's cool to see that you can accurately recreate it, Jason. I've never seen it this up-close. Any ideas on what it could be? The edge detail is very interesting. We know the EP bits have an extended flat edge and now we see the half circle edge.

Joe

Wouldn't have modeled and printed it if I knew what it was ;)

I assume the half-circle edge is just an ILM cut.

Here are the last bits of the pattern! I will mail it all off to cast this week! I have printed the top lid dome on the FDM printer and those printers always struggle with the apex of a shallow dome, so I grew one on the Form so you can have a resin one to swap out/use.

49435941_10156957660268156_7493545993858711552_o.jpg

I've always believed that the perforated material used on the tiles to be the same as the one used on the EP. It's cool to see that you can accurately recreate it, Jason. I've never seen it this up-close. Any ideas on what it could be? The edge detail is very interesting. We know the EP bits have an extended flat edge and now we see the half circle edge.

Joe

I think it’s sheetmetal

The one we have at work in various sizes has one side with without holes too.

Something like this

Perforated Metal - Round Hole Patterns | Grating Pacific Call (800) 321-4314

Jason - very nice of you to post the files! I'm looking forward to seeing all the Escape Pods that result!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back