Escape Pod - all the donors being cast for you guys

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by moffeaton, Dec 27, 2018.

1. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Before I built the Escape Pod with ALL STYRENE donors (shudder), I'm going to have the parts molded and cast so that any one who wants to build one can do so without spending horrific amounts of money and time to get the donors. Because if I build another, I am never going to do the gathering again! Brutal!! I don't know price, but it should be the biggest and most useful Greebie Pack yet!

As soon as I double check my pod body file, I'll make the STLs available so you guys can also just print the buckets.

None of this would have been possible without the help of countless people, chiefly Quincy, Craig, and Ed.

• John Geigle from Masterpiece Models will be offering these. He said yes, and I hope he doesn't go running for the hills after seeing these pics ;)
    • He also said the tank tracks will be rubbery! Wheeee!
    • Oh! Not pictured are the Kubelwagen bits with the perforated screens. I did a rubbing of the pattern from the Death Star Tile I have access to, and will be making the screen pieces this weekend :)
      IMG_3963.jpg IMG_3964.jpg IMG_3967.jpg IMG_3968.jpg IMG_3966.jpg

ALLEY, Padawan311, acesh007 and 8 others like this.
  2. moffeaton

Rubbing!
    49082500_10156933409048156_3389422322661195776_n.jpg

Mike J., ffoeg and marvin like this.
  3. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Thanks for doing this. Its something I've wanted to build but never had the funds for all the kits.

4. faustus100

faustus100 Well-Known Member

This will be epic!

5. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

now this is a really cool endeavor!

6. moffeaton

Escape Pod body for you to print. There is a solid "disk" equator or a cored option. It's up to you to figure out a mounting system. The divots around the equator are for the Sealab body caps to nestle into - I hope I got the depth right on that one. At least it gives you their locations!
    I MIGHT MODIFY THESE AFTER I PRINT ONE... but for those of you who like to live fast and loose:
    Dropbox - Escape Pod finals - Simplify your life

DaveG and ffoeg like this.
  7. Haui

Haui Active Member

That is really nice thank you for the time and work you spent. It is very rare today that someone gives something for free.

8. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ill second the above. Im not in the market for an escape pod but truly appreciate the gesture for the fellow modelers. Cheers to you Moff!

9. joberg

joberg Master Member

TFS with us Jason:cool::cool::cool:

10. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Quick Question... Isn't the main body of the Pod a couple of paint buckets? Would it be simpler to get a hold of a couple or are they unavailable?

BTW your making the file and the parts available is seriously a Good Kharma act :D. I hope it pays off for you :)

Jedi Dade

11. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The original were vintage Kentucky Fried Chicken buckets. The new KFC buckets aren't the correct shape.

12. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, Jeff (geez - JASON [I knew that!]) - this is awesome! I'm on travel all of January and can't do much about this until I'm back home, but I'll keep an eye on this thread and PM you for purchase when I'm back and you're ready. Very generous of you to do all this. I gotta attempt one of these!

Dan

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  13. Studio Kitbash

Studio Kitbash Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is wonderful Jason - thank you very much for putting it all together.

14. vectorzero

vectorzero Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IMG_0057.GIF

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  15. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

I've always believed that the perforated material used on the tiles to be the same as the one used on the EP. It's cool to see that you can accurately recreate it, Jason. I've never seen it this up-close. Any ideas on what it could be? The edge detail is very interesting. We know the EP bits have an extended flat edge and now we see the half circle edge.

Joe

16. moffeaton

Wouldn't have modeled and printed it if I knew what it was ;)

I assume the half-circle edge is just an ILM cut.

Here are the last bits of the pattern! I will mail it all off to cast this week! I have printed the top lid dome on the FDM printer and those printers always struggle with the apex of a shallow dome, so I grew one on the Form so you can have a resin one to swap out/use.

49435941_10156957660268156_7493545993858711552_o.jpg

ffoeg likes this.
  17. Flixen

Flixen Active Member

I think it’s sheetmetal

The one we have at work in various sizes has one side with without holes too.

Something like this

Perforated Metal - Round Hole Patterns | Grating Pacific Call (800) 321-4314

18. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Could be from a speaker grill if its metal.

19. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

So is Mr. Salzo going to do the Greeblie Pack?

Jedi Dade

20. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jason - very nice of you to post the files! I'm looking forward to seeing all the Escape Pods that result!

21. moffeaton

Read the first post.

22. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

OK I'm officially Embarrassed - I missed that Entirely!

Jedi Dade

23. vectorzero

Jason

Do you have the major dimensions of the body? My Ultimaker 2 bed is just a few mm too small to print the STL directly. I can see this in Cura immediately. When I import the STL into Fusion to try and section it into parts that will fit, the dimensions seem to go haywire. The equator ring seems to be 1.8 metres in diameter!

24. moffeaton

Not on hand. you can't open something in Cura and see dims, even if it's too big for your bed? I use idea maker. Anything else, I have no idea. Sorry.

25. motionminded

motionminded Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I also have an Ultimaker 2, it's to small but I sliced the main parts, not ideal but I think it's doable.

Let me know if you need them.

26. vectorzero

In Cura, you can see the dimensions of the bounding box of the imported object. However, this doesn't always help as you can see with the main body. It should also have a square bounding box since it is conical - but if you look in the bottom right corner it doesn’t. I think this is because one of the cutouts intersects the bounding box on one side (middle of picture). The escape pod is quite a bit bigger than I realised.

Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 10.09.49.png

I think there might be an easy fix, but I need to read some manuals. motionminded Thanks for the offer. I might take you upon on that.

27. motionminded

motionminded Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's just to big to print on the Ultimaker, in height it will, not in diameter. You have to split it. I am printing as we speak...