Escape From The Planet Of The Apes Icarus

Chrisisall

Sr Member
Got a 3D print from a dude on eBay, preparing to do a model of the ship I've wanted for decades!

i1J5UR7.jpg

BbzMrBb.jpg

ysOfKnb.jpg

Not used to this kind of plastic, but I'm muddling through...

Did not even know that 3D prints had appeared in Ebay...
A great part of scifi movie history in this ship.
Have fun with it...

Great to see the Icarus get some attention!
Been a long time in coming for me...
Here it is in prep for the extreme weathering. *YES* I wrote "UNITED STATES" by hand with a sharpie. 90% of what I've done here will be covered by by carbon scoring so it won't even matter. I didn't bother with the finer red & blue stripes near the nose because they are completely gone. And before anyone says it, *YES* the blue-THEN-red stripes going towards the nose on the back end. I have no idea why they were reversed- I'm just trying to be screen accurate with this paint job. ;)
cMNiQ2y.jpg

TzCQw1U.jpg

Last edited:
Had to take out the fin colour to prep it further. My work will have to be precise. I need a whole day off for this as it will be more like performance art than straight painting. I won't lie, this will be terrifying & fun at the same time. Can I pull it off? We'll see after Friday...
96NGVSL.jpg

Image from my Blu Ray pause-
f2UtFnj.jpg

Phase one complete. I strategically sprayed it with flat black & flat gray, let it dry, then sanded lightly in areas with 320 sandpaper to bring up some details. I know what you're thinking, it still looks pretty clean, right? Phase two is the streaky dark copper burn s**t to be added by hand with brush & tissues. It's not over yet...
nsYnE0q.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a drastic change!

It's almost a shame to see your nice clean work on the striping and everything get so beaten up, but it really was worth it as it looks very convincing

Wow, what a drastic change!

It's almost a shame to see your nice clean work on the striping and everything get so beaten up, but it really was worth it as it looks very convincing
Thanks! Yeah, I been referring to MANY pictures & my Blu Ray... getting it just right is still my hope, down to the scratches on the windows! Ha ha, and here I thought I was gonna get it done today... silly me.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back