ESB Vader Reveal mask and bust. (pic intense)

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by Vadermonkey, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Vadermonkey

Vadermonkey Well-Known Member

Well, I have been sitting on this project for three reasons...first being that I'm buried...well more like, completely smothered with work and life (who isnt right?), second because I'm working on 3 other *different* Vader projects as time allows...which it hasnt for the last year or so. Finally, I am no sculptor and am a little shy when I take a new plunge but in lieu of Halloween coming up I thought I'd share this:

The Empire Strikes Back reveal helmet and make-up head. The helmet is a TM ESB base and the head itself is my very first original human sculpt. As you may notice, the ESB reveal differs from ROTJ and has really become a favorite of mine. There isnt alot of reference on this piece but after lots of study I came up with the following.

And now for the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As time goes on I would like to make a new neck brace for this, this one is one of those kits off ebay which I really like but it was cast flat and wants to go back to that shape putting pressure on the mask and spreading it.

Oh...and if anyone is wondering...the front has a face... ;)

Wait for it...

[​IMG]

Wait for it...

[​IMG]

Almost there.....

[​IMG]

And you guessed it....I thought I'd do a bit of a tribute (hopefully) to Dave Prowse. This is a work in progress with lots left to do but I threw a wig on there just so you can get an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Re: Another...never before seen Vader.

Now thats very cool, I think you nailed the back of the head look, looks very painfull, :eek
    This is the first ESB reveal i have ever seen,Well done for being original

3. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think you have done a fantastic job.looks great....

4. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

As always it looks very cool Mike.:cool I like the idea of a Prowse bust/head behind the mask. Have you sculpted the Prowse head yourself? If so, pretty good result for one of if not the first heads you sculpted:thumbsup
    You are certainly the man for the "special" Vader displays:thumbsup

voice in the crowd likes this.
  5. SAMSW

SAMSW New Member

Looks ace!

Love the 'back of the head' ! and the 'Prowse' tribute.

:thumbsup

6. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome Mike. That rear 1/4 shot is fantastic. :thumbsup

voice in the crowd likes this.
  7. Darth 123

Darth 123 Well-Known Member

That looks really cool-very good work!

8. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Superb and David would definitely sign this with :

DAVE PROWSE = DARTH VADER !

:)

-Chaim

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  9. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

That is AWESOME bro!

Was it Dave in that scene in ESB?

Either way a great idea, wonderful execution and a neat lil tribute!

;)

10. Vadermonkey

Thanks everyone! Its far from done for the lack o0f time to finish but once everything is glued down it will all 'fit' a little better..there is a buldge on the back (left lookiing at it) that pushes against the neckbrace that I'd like to come through and then I'll probably case it in a similar pose to the 2nd shot.

@ Ken, I've always heard it was Dave in the make-up and there is a still with what looks like Bob Anderson (no make-up) but I figured this thing needed a face so why not Prowse? I did actually debate making no face at all at one point.

@ Niob, yes I sculpted the head myself. I had some great pointers from Phil (Cyberman) who is always very willing to help which is greatly appreciated.

Problem is there is so little reference from that era in decent resolution that I could find. I ended up focusing on a Frankenstein front shot since he was in a bald make-up and some Vader stuff but those were all at weird angles.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  11. hellz manik

hellz manik Active Member

very original idea, bro! a bit creepy (in a realistic way, though). LOL

12. Trap Joe

Trap Joe Sr Member

I´m speechless. THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST FAN MADE STUFF I´VE EVER SEEN ON THE RFF!!!!!:eek:love:love:love

13. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweet job, Mike!!

14. judgedredd

judgedredd Sr Member

very nice work you never said you could sculpt :)

15. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Well-Known Member

about * time someone did this. very awesome. are you going to put full reveal greeblies on the inside? i'm sure i've seen a picture were you can see a silver area inside the grill.

16. Cyberman

Cyberman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Brilliant Mike!!!:eek

17. Dioxide

Dioxide Member

That's fantastic :thumbsup

18. Vadermonkey

Thanks everyone, and thanks also for those who have pm'ed me with suggestions on improving the Prowse half...I appreciate the input and will impliment many of those changes down the line. Its great to have 'fresh' eyes on this, especially being my first try at sculpting something besides a stick. :lol

Actually no on the greeblies, if we look at these shots...(and I'd love to get some BR caps of this scene) there are different things I took from each one regarding anything on the inside...

In the shot below- and there are a couple variations of this- you can see the whole appliance and also something reflective in the face part of the mask which I believe is simply a piece of plex that has been formed to the inside so that when the mask comes down it doesnt snag the actor.

[​IMG]

In this next shot you can see something reflecting through the mouth which is the plex, the refelection dissappears half way down because thats where the plex is bent towards the front of the mask covering the bottom of the grillwork as seen in the last shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

How did I miss this?

Brilliant - well done :thumbsup

20. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Stunning! Just brilliant and the Prowse head is just bloody genius!!!!!!

Rich

21. xmr1

xmr1 Well-Known Member

Well done, Mike!

22. vetteboy1982

vetteboy1982 Member

That is really awesome and I love that you wanted to do someting original. Has anyone ever made a wearable Anakin mask for the revael helmet ??? That is something I always wanted to have !

23. jkno

jkno Master Member

An awesome rendition of one of the most memorable Vader scenes in SW! Excellent job!!

24. Vadermonkey

Wow, thank you all. I still havent positioned everything properly but I'm glad you can all see what I was shooting for. :)

@vetteboy1982 I do not know of an anakin mask but I am also working on a bust of Anakin from ROTJ.

[​IMG]

25. vetteboy1982

vetteboy1982 Member

Thats great ! Whats a reveal mask if you dont have the face inside???? Just sayin ! I think there would be alot of interest for a good looking wearable Anakin mask for the reveal....you could wear it and display it....the best of both worlds ! I better get crackin on my reveal mask...been slackin.

26. kysupernatural

kysupernatural Well-Known Member

:eek OMG..amazing work, love both the ROTJ Anakin and the David Prowse nod....AWESOME, and I myself always loved the Empire looks as well..looked painful and more Frankenstein like

27. DarthLuumzl

DarthLuumzl Well-Known Member

WoW!!!

Great work!!! :thumbsup

28. Trap Joe

Trap Joe Sr Member

Simply amazing what you archieved! Your work is some of the best here on the RPF! I´m never tired of looking at our great projects, mate!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

29. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've seen a few reveal-esque busts and back-scalp prosthetics and none of the one's I've seen has been able to capture the color of the skin as well as you have. It feels alive and very sting-y.

30. glarks

glarks New Member

Brilliant work. Love the tribute aspect. How many hours have you put in to get to this stage.

31. jaycee9

jaycee9 New Member

LOL... What a cool idea, looking great so far :)

32. judgedredd

judgedredd Sr Member

very cool :)

33. Uber Fett

Uber Fett Sr Member

There was talk of someone doing this about seven or eight years back, but it never saw the light of day; as I recall. Perhaps it needed the right hand to have a go. You have done a supurb job at this task and I look forward to seeing your completed design! Outstanding work!!!

Shawn

34. frosty

frosty Sr Member

those are both looking really nice, well done

35. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

I'm doing something similar with my reveal. If you ever decide to sell castings, Mike, I'd love to get a copy of the back of that head . . .

36. kevinvader

kevinvader New Member

Incredible work!Simply incredible and this praise is coming from along time vader fan!Glad I found this forum