Esb lightsaber computer card.

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all
does any one here make and an accurate computer card for the Esb luke saber? Seen some on EvilBay but not sure how accurate they are. Also what should it look like? I've seen some with the gold lines and thin silver and thick silver lines. Thanks

I think that on the real circuit boards, the wide lines are gold-plated and the thin lines are tin-plated.

The wide lines on Roy's are raw copper but he has indicated that he might offer gold-plated cards in the future. The thin lines are silver but I don't know how they are made. Aside from the copper finish (which you could debate) they are very accurate.

Slothfurnace will probably soon start offering circuit boards with Luke ROTJ v2 pattern, but with the Luke ESB pattern "thrown in" on the other side. He has written that they will be gold-plated. Tinning the silver lines might be extra.

Last edited:
I'll send you a picture shortly. I have some vintage board (gold tabs) may interest you.

Here's what a real one should look like. The card should be a cloudy white, not green or yellow. The thick bands are gold plated / brassy color and taper off. the silver thin parts of the bands I believe were tin plated and the bottom edge should be offset from the taper a bit.
photo1_zpsf5ff6085.jpg

More specifically - a cloudy green/white is accurate. On the board that we can see in the archives, the thin silver leads are very skinny, thinner than that above. I found some Otis boards that were screen accurate, I'll post pics a bit later. 13 leads, rectangular gold traces, not round....

I'd say that there is a lack of good reference pictures of the PCBs. We can't be sure that the "Ranch saber" (the one with textured tape covering the clamp) was actually used as a hero prop in the movie. I think the Graflex endcap is of a different variation than the Wampa Cave saber, for instance.

I'd say that there is a lack of good reference pictures of the PCBs. We can't be sure that the "Ranch saber" (the one with textured tape covering the clamp) was actually used as a hero prop in the movie. I think the Graflex endcap is of a different variation than the Wampa Cave saber, for instance.

You're right about the Wampa scene! The point I'm trying to make is that thicker silver leads would be noticeable even from these distances. Even the V2 card we now know has thin traces compared to the gold plug, I'm 90% sure none of the boards used had thick leads.

Here are some pics regarding cards.
Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Origin.jpgesbluke22-vi.jpgimage.jpg

The wannawanga.com card is impressive, great square profile on the leads, thin silver lines, awesome. Drawbacks are the copper, and the silver on the thin lines is painted on and rubs off easily. I think for fit, finish and color the blastech cards are hard to beat, good board color, gold traces, however you get the thick silver lines. I have one of each and switch them out depending on my mood. All of the other parts Roy at wannawanga.com makes are incredible, I'd imagine he'll have something soon that's spot on

All that being said I'm of the opinion that the clamp and circuit card on the ranch saber, and probably the top tube, are the esb hero, and that the bottom tube, grips, and d-ring were installed after esb. The esb hero bottom tube and d-ring are on the vader rotj* graflex. I also think that the hero graflex in anh and esb are the same hilt, 1 belt hanger hero prop rebuilt and reused for both movies and now that clamp and top tube make up part of what is the ranch saber, bottom on the vader

Last edited:
I remember having the card from blastech and it did have the gold lines and the thick silver lines. didn't know there were other variations but such is the world of star wars propbuilding.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back