ESB In Theaters for 40th Anniversary as they begin re-opening

Cinemark is allowing you to bring in a DVD or BluRay and they will project that.
Oh really? I thought the description said you had a choice of one of a "classic fan-favorite or new release movie" meaning there was some kind of pre-approved list. If you could bring in your own movie then yeah that's awesome and I'm in.

So, anyone in the southern California area feel like watching 4k77?:p
If the theaters around me allowed us to bring in our own DVD'S I'd bring in 4K77!!
Okay looks like Psab is in:)

Oh really? I thought the description said you had a choice of one of a "classic fan-favorite or new release movie" meaning there was some kind of pre-approved list. If you could bring in your own movie then yeah that's awesome and I'm in.

So, anyone in the southern California area feel like watching 4k77?:p

Okay looks like Psab is in:)

I was curious if they would show a non-commercial release as well. 4K77 was the first thing to come to mind for me too.
IMG_4849.png

I was curious if they would show a non-commercial release as well. 4K77 was the first thing to come to mind for me too.
View attachment 1358140
Hmmmm now I'm only seeing a limited selection of movies. It seems like they might've altered the promotion? Or maybe it varies by each location?

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread, and unable to attend a theater in my area that is playing The Empire Strikes Back, I put the movie on at home, last night.

To fully immerse myself in the experience, my wife and I sat 6 feet apart on the couch and wore masks. To make it even more authentic, during the quietest parts of the film, I had her crinkle candy bags, chew popcorn with her mouth open, and suck on a straw in a cup with only traces of liquid left in it. This effectively simulated the sounds of fellow movie patrons that we all miss.

My wife then took the experience to another level and surprised me by simulating coughing and hacking, during the carbon freezing scene, followed by videoing the “I am your father” scene with her iphone, which appropriately caused me to stand up and tell her “I think that you need to leave”.

Overall, I felt that the evening perfectly captured the current movie-going experience.

Tomorrow, we’re watching Return of the Jedi.

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread, and unable to attend a theater in my area that is playing The Empire Strikes Back, I put the movie on at home, last night.

To fully immerse myself in the experience, my wife and I sat 6 feet apart on the couch and wore masks. To make it even more authentic, during the quietest parts of the film, I had her crinkle candy bags, chew popcorn with her mouth open, and suck on a straw in a cup with only traces of liquid left in it. This effectively simulated the sounds of fellow movie patrons that we all miss.

My wife then took the experience to another level and surprised me by simulating coughing and hacking, during the carbon freezing scene, followed by videoing the “I am your father” scene with her iphone, which appropriately caused me to stand up and tell her “I think that you need to leave”.

Overall, I felt that the evening perfectly captured the current movie-going experience.

Nice! Can I book that ROTJ showing with you then? I'd be happy to kick the backs of your chairs and fiddle through my phone the entire time if you wish.

Personally, I have no desire to ever step foot in a theater again. I might, simply because I don't want to wait for a certain movie to come out on blu-ray/streaming, but as far as the "experience"...don't need it, don't want it, don't miss it.

I saw it before the theaters closed down again. Also saw Fellowship of the Ring.

I had a pizza and drink and popcorn. I figured they weren't making much off me just buying a ticket. Tip em if you can, it really makes their day!

The only scene that really broke it for me was in the space slug, an obvious shot of of the falcon's outside/front was a model, landed in the the fog.

The delivery of lines wasnt as campy as I remember it.

No one was endlessly talking in the theatre either?!?!. Usually a good breakup or high-maintenence "I deserve" rant is going on to add the experience.

These are our "classics."

I just enjoy the theater for the size of the screen and the sound quality. I'm over the crowd experience. That part of the excitement died off as I grew up. My set up at home isn't up to par yet with the theater set up.

Me too. I can still tell you which movies I saw in the theater and often what theater I saw them in. It used to be so magical back then. I haven't been in maybe 3 years now. One thing that really struck me when revisiting Seinfeld with the Mrs this year, was how often the main cast goes to the movies. I never thought there would ever be a time in my life where that seemed so out of the ordinary. I'm so used to watching movies at home anymore. Hopefully once I get a decent set up I can recapture some of that magic though.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back