ESB In Theaters for 40th Anniversary as they begin re-opening

Collectorchris

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all! The last time I saw ESB in theaters was in 1980 as a very young lad (around 5), so I was excited a few weeks ago when I found out select theaters would be playing it in celebration of it's 40th anniversary as the hosted limited re-openings. Only 6 people in the theater at the showing I attended, but being able to re-live seeing it on the big screen was quite the thrill. It is certainly a film that stands the test of time, even with the improvement in film making technology, there were only a few instances that really came across as dated. Still a great movie, and by my opinion the best one of the entire trilogy!

I hope some of the rest of you get to go out and see it, it was a thrill!

Last edited:
Cineworld Cinemas in UK have just announced that they are temporarily closing again until the movie studios can get a full slate of releases done as it appears there's just not enough new movies being released to bring audiences back to the cinema.

Cineworld Cinemas in UK have just announced that they are temporarily closing again until the movie studios can get a full slate of releases done as it appears there's just not enough new movies being released to bring audiences back to the cinema.

Towns near me are also shutting back now.. this is all insane

Wish my area did this...

But don’t know if I would go in fear of covid

:(
I hear you, luckily it was just 4 people in the whole theater, and we sat far far apart from them. The entire theater complex was ridiculously empty too. Its far more crowded going grocery shopping than going to the movies where we are lol

Cineworld owns Regal Cinemas in the US (second largest chain) and they are closing here too.

They did this in Sweden back in July, a couple of screenings. Only in Stockholm though. Would have loved to see it on the big screen.

Sadly I was only made aware of these showings after the fact. Though I had to work most of the days they were playing anyway. Empire would have been a real treat to see too as it had the least amount of changes done to it.

You can rent an AMC theater and show Empire:

No theaters around me (that I know of) ever do these screenings. I'd love to take my nephew (17yo) to see the OT and Prequels in the theater. He saw the Clone Wars movie, TFA, and Rogue One, but that's it. He refused to see the other two Sequels in theater after seeing TFA (so proud! :lol:).

I assume this is with the new stuff?
Sadly the new stuff they put in will rip me out of the time capsule. I remember the original as shown all too well.

I've always wanted to rent a theater out for myself. The big chains have actually always offered private screenings but the problem was always, as you see, that they only offer current movies; be they new or special rereleases. Well, what's the point of renting out a screen to watch a current movie? I can just wait a week or two for the crowds to subside and save myself $85.

The other option is to find an independently owned theater that's willing to let you screen any movie you want but those aren't around like they used to be.

I've always wanted to rent a theater out for myself. The big chains have actually always offered private screenings but the problem was always, as you see, that they only offer current movies; be they new or special rereleases. Well, what's the point of renting out a screen to watch a current movie? I can just wait a week or two for the crowds to subside and save myself $85.

The other option is to find an independently owned theater that's willing to let you screen any movie you want but those aren't around like they used to be.

Cinemark is allowing you to bring in a DVD or BluRay and they will project that.

eh... too little too late. Since Dis Wars I've really lost all interest in anything SW related. Not even trying to trot this out is enough to make me care again.

eh... too little too late. Since Dis Wars I've really lost all interest in anything SW related. Not even trying to trot this out is enough to make me care again.
You are robbing yourself of a really great experience. Yes, the new Trilogy has changed the OT for me as well, but so did watching Clone Wars together with my son and step daughter. Don´t be bitter, just enjoy the moment.

I saw this at the local Regal theater in September. It was a great to view on a big screen with a good sounds system. There were maybe 15 people in the theater so easy to have good distancing between everyone. I wish all the Star Wars movies would be shown again.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back