ESB "Hoth scanner" prop - active project!

Last OPs for today

7EE6FE33-91F9-496F-9013-4E6DAA3DB0BA.jpegBB62597D-B639-48A2-9A29-91B9F5FC6F50.jpeg

Nice job on the countersinking OdiWan72! Don't forget to countersink the two tiny holes on each of the jigsaw parts. Only two of the jigsaw parts on each face of the prop show the countersunk side of those holes (as circled in red below), but I'd say it's safe to assume that they are all countersunk the same, just the countersinking isn't visible on the other two jigsaw parts.

1662583355217.png

Take a closer look at this reference photo to see the countersinking on those particular holes:
1662583430244.png

1662583507091.png

Thanks for pointing this out!
It‘s very subtle…might use a regular drillbit for that slight angle

Great job on these guys. We are still short some parts though, the main ones being on the top, especially the 'latches' on the top. I don't have any sheet metal fabricators that I use so don't know where to start. Is anyone planning to tackle these in metal?

Great job on these guys. We are still short some parts though, the main ones being on the top, especially the 'latches' on the top. I don't have any sheet metal fabricators that I use so don't know where to start. Is anyone planning to tackle these in metal?

I had the latches lasercut by Bengrimm some time ago. But they are so intricate to bend, that I am afraid I would simply mess them up :/

Attachments

• 47E43439-D9DF-4D56-8D8B-E9B5FDBC55A7.jpeg
    47E43439-D9DF-4D56-8D8B-E9B5FDBC55A7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • 5E188B4A-B66B-4988-B6B5-FE5F28DDA636.jpeg
    5E188B4A-B66B-4988-B6B5-FE5F28DDA636.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I had the latches lasercut by Bengrimm some time ago. But they are so intricate to bend, that I am afraid I would simply mess them up :/

Yeah, it would need to be done by a company that does sheet metal work for smaller parts. I can't remember the RPF'er that had the macro transition box made but whatever shop did those can surely do these. Has anyone done the 3D drawings for accuracy?

Yeah, it would need to be done by a company that does sheet metal work for smaller parts. I can't remember the RPF'er that had the macro transition box made but whatever shop did those can surely do these. Has anyone done the 3D drawings for accuracy?

I have some drawings, yes. Even in that (VXF?) format, which the lasercutters are working with...but we´d have to check their accuray.
Maybe Cantina_Dude could chime in, since we´re in need for the white boxes and the new read-out frame as well.

For now I´ll simply transplant the "breakers" from my scratchbuilt scanner to the V.2

I've been collecting bits and pieces for this since Markus started this thread - as there have been various parts runs I've joined in. I'm mostly caught up but need to work on things like the clamps that are being talked about here most recently, the red and green RS Components buttons, etc.

IMG_7446_small.jpg

IMG_7447_small.jpg

You'll see here that my original aerial plugs are of the incorrect 'checkered' variety rather than the 'ribbed/ridged' version, however.

Might someone out there have the proper variety I can purchase? Or even a good casting?

Dan

(If the clamp assembly ever gets a run please count me in for that. I think the split ring is in work somewhere and I think I'm on a wait list for that. I see several pages earlier in the thread a nice 3D model of the clamps and little mystery white plastic boxes - at this point I've be happy to print my own until better metal clamps and a good casting of the original found part white box is found...)

Wow, great job Markus (as usual). Did you pick those up on eBay?

Yes, I just searched for some illuminated rockers switches, that has the ridges on the inner sides, as seen here (these are the ones I worked with, too small unfortunately):

Well, THAT was nerve-wracking!!! Drilling the holes resulted in one big scratch above the right one, from when the drill it slipped :(
I usually cover the surrounding areas with tape before drilling/ dremeling, but not this time ARGH !!!!
Tried to polish it out, which did not work well...anyway...it´s done (and covered with tape again for further operations *lol*) *phew*

Once the Apoxy putty I used to fill the tubes with dried, I can install them along with the couplings

EE4088D7-A7B1-4159-B6B8-106FE19D7591.jpeg3FDF853A-45EA-41CF-B95D-9B3B6C119279.jpeg1D371E59-B934-4BC3-8A97-EC6E02B801A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good Markus. Sorry to hear about the mishap. What did you use to cut the hole? Hole saw? Needless to say, screen accurate for this thing would have some wear anyway, especially if you wanted to have that post production look.

Looking good Markus. Sorry to hear about the mishap. What did you use to cut the hole? Hole saw? Needless to say, screen accurate for this thing would have some wear anyway, especially if you wanted to have that post production look.

Step drill up to 25 mm

Hey guys :)
Tatooine Machine kindly requested that I join this project :)
coming soon!
IMG_20221013_174326.jpg
IMG_20221013_174335.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys :)
Tatooine Machine kindly requested that I join this project :)
coming soon!
View attachment 1626757 View attachment 1626758

Yeeeeees!!!!!

I've been collecting bits and pieces for this since Markus started this thread - as there have been various parts runs I've joined in. I'm mostly caught up but need to work on things like the clamps that are being talked about here most recently, the red and green RS Components buttons, etc.

View attachment 1616277
View attachment 1616278

You'll see here that my original aerial plugs are of the incorrect 'checkered' variety rather than the 'ribbed/ridged' version, however.

Might someone out there have the proper variety I can purchase? Or even a good casting?

Dan

(If the clamp assembly ever gets a run please count me in for that. I think the split ring is in work somewhere and I think I'm on a wait list for that. I see several pages earlier in the thread a nice 3D model of the clamps and little mystery white plastic boxes - at this point I've be happy to print my own until better metal clamps and a good casting of the original found part white box is found...)

Just repeating this post to see if someone might be able to help with better/accurate aerial plugs...

Thanks!

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back