ESB "Hoth scanner" prop - active project!

That was one helluva good spot...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 11.15.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 11.15.58 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
I was very determined :)
Such a great find. So fun.
I'm so glad you were. This prop has vexed me for years, as it seemed like something ordinary, perhaps from the medical field given the enameled white. It's up there with the V2 "mystery chunk" or the Obi emitter, in my opinion.

There will be when I’m back from vacation next week. Thanks for everyone’s patience!

I know, that this thread has been quiet for way too long :(

Like Chad already wrote, we should update this thread with a list of the parts that will be available from HIM and maybe even some of the 3D models (either the ones I used on my V1 build OR the updated models created by Cantina_Dude...maybe he can chime in).

You know the saying "good things take their time" ... well, this will be good for sure ;)

Like Chad already wrote, we should update this thread with a list of the parts that will be available from HIM and maybe even some of the 3D models (either the ones I used on my V1 build OR the updated models created by Cantina_Dude...maybe he can chime in).

Finalizing the "white box" 3D model is on my to-do list... along with many things... :lol:

Hey I think this part is a snare drum tensioning spring mechanism ( on the side of the snare drum )
Which snare drum I’ll have to research but I’m more than positive....

The spring clamps with another piece of metal on the top where the two holes are ( flipped up )
The knurled nut would be part of that as well...

The lever you see would be facing upward as they just attached it ..

E4F5A570-7AC7-41DC-9547-68059F1225BD.jpeg

Here is an example but obviously the wrong one..
CFA3AE43-F64B-47FE-8359-D77F65FD75D9.png

Last edited:
If you all want to help identify search “snare strainer”. This may be the part. One thing I noticed though.. most strainers levers move side to side and not outward but some older models did . Given the time of the movie , it may be possible these were more common.. I dunno.... still searching :D

Well now im not so sure.. :confused: although it does look similar ..some of the mechanisms just don’t align. It would have to be a quick grab find common part and looking through 100s of snare parts .. none of them look the part . For example.. the bottom bracket is offset with two holes.. and there are two lever looking things when most snares have just one.. and it’s a bit smaller.. sorry for the goose chase but now I don’t think it’s the part.. I’m now thinking it’s some kind of cable tensioner but I’m still looking .. ill post my findings:D

Ok so ... here’s a thought. When was this scanner idea conceived? I’m inclined to think they would have used parts maybe from snow gear since they were doing cold weather shooting... Like the puzzle piece on the seat and maybe even the hinge thingies on the top of the box? Also reading, I know they used a lot of aircraft parts too.. the part in question looks as if it was used to bring tension to something.. like open / screw tighter / then pop back down ... or the opposite. Flip levers down relieving tension , screw tighter , then pop closed.. one thing that comes to mind is ski hardware or boots or some kind of cable mechanism.. ( which is why I initially though snare drum.. same principle) The mechanical aspects align but the parts do not..
I don’t know.. just food for thought and opening other revenues of ideas for anyone else. :)

Ok so ... here’s a thought. When was this scanner idea conceived? I’m inclined to think they would have used parts maybe from snow gear since they were doing cold weather shooting... Like the puzzle piece on the seat and maybe even the hinge thingies on the top of the box? Also reading, I know they used a lot of aircraft parts too.. the part in question looks as if it was used to bring tension to something.. like open / screw tighter / then pop back down ... or the opposite. Flip levers down relieving tension , screw tighter , then pop closed.. one thing that comes to mind is ski hardware or boots or some kind of cable mechanism.. ( which is why I initially though snare drum.. same principle) The mechanical aspects align but the parts do not..
I don’t know.. just food for thought and opening other revenues of ideas for anyone else. :)

Interesting, could it be some type of ski binding? With something like the michael’s transcriptor knob added to the back

96689624-7645-4312-B9BF-CD035E6053F6.jpeg

Dummer of 30+ years here. *badum-bum* It's also called a "throwoff", it holds one side of the snare wires on the bottom drum, you flip the lever down to release the wires and get rid of the "snap".

I do not think that's a snare strainer/throwoff, but clearly a similar mechanism! You'd be looking at vintage drums, and reasonably heavy duty, which would probably narrow it down a bit, there are only maybe 15-20 major manufacturers of that era. Cheap Japanese drums would have flimsier stamped pieces. I have never seen a throwoff with a knob that tall. Also, drum hardware is almost ubiquitously chromed. Finally, the design of the lower part doesn't look like it extends downward enough to accommodate bottom rim.

Still, worth a good image surf for sure, I haven't studied the prop but never noticed the similarity. Sharp eyes around here!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back