ESB "Hoth scanner" prop - active project!

I’m going to be ordering some laser cut metal parts for another project soon and figured I could add some parts for this active project to the order. The simplest parts to have laser cut would be the little plates that are screwed and/or riveted to the front of the scanner prop. I’ve done a bit of scaling work to determine the dimensions and thickness of these 2 pairs of plates and have come up with this little paper mock-up to get a sense of it all:

DA9CB839-434C-4E5D-A6D7-7681E81168D8.jpeg
EA4F3D66-C46F-4151-9655-C29435F25DC3.jpeg

Forgive the crude shading job on the paper pieces. It was hard to get enough contrast photographing white paper stuck on white plastic so I just scribbled over top of them with a marker.

I figure that the upper skinny plate should be 65 mm tall by about 10 mm wide and cut from 3/16” (4.7 mm) thick metal stock.

The lower larger plate should be about 90 mm tall by about 39 mm wide at the bottom (tapering to about 28 mm wide at the top, the taper begins about 30 mm from the bottom) and be cut from 0.030” (0.8 mm) or 0.040” (1 mm) thick metal stock.

If there have been hands on measurements taken from the real prop, please let me know as that would obviously be more accurate.

What type of metal would people want these cut from? Aluminum, steel, or stainless steel?

I could also include the “jigsaw” pieces in this order, but I won’t have time to work up drawings for those before I submit the order. If drawings already exist, I could pretty quickly convert them to the needed format and get them cut, so please let me know if you have something worked up already.

Once we finalize the details of these parts I will start a sales thread in the Junkyard with pricing etc. and organize who wants some.

I’m going to be ordering some laser cut metal parts for another project soon and figured I could add some parts for this active project to the order. The simplest parts to have laser cut would be the little plates that are screwed and/or riveted to the front of the scanner prop. I’ve done a bit of scaling work to determine the dimensions and thickness of these 2 pairs of plates and have come up with this little paper mock-up to get a sense of it all:

View attachment 1443953View attachment 1443954
Forgive the crude shading job on the paper pieces. It was hard to get enough contrast photographing white paper stuck on white plastic so I just scribbled over top of them with a marker.

I figure that the upper skinny plate should be 65 mm tall by about 10 mm wide and cut from 3/16” (4.7 mm) thick metal stock.

The lower larger plate should be about 90 mm tall by about 39 mm wide at the bottom (tapering to about 28 mm wide at the top, the taper begins about 30 mm from the bottom) and be cut from 0.030” (0.8 mm) or 0.040” (1 mm) thick metal stock.

If there have been hands on measurements taken from the real prop, please let me know as that would obviously be more accurate.

What type of metal would people want these cut from? Aluminum, steel, or stainless steel?

I could also include the “jigsaw” pieces in this order, but I won’t have time to work up drawings for those before I submit the order. If drawings already exist, I could pretty quickly convert them to the needed format and get them cut, so please let me know if you have something worked up already.

Once we finalize the details of these parts I will start a sales thread in the Junkyard with pricing etc. and organize who wants some.
Fantastic! Thanks, Cantina_Dude. You can count me in when the time arrives.

Awesome idea...that‘d be a great contribution

Lasercut aluminum would be ideal IMHO

the holes should only have small bores and need to be countersunk. The ptop guys simply screwed these down and filled the holes/ screw heads with some kind of putty

Jigsaw parts are prime for lasercutting as well.
I am happy to have the "jigsaw" parts laser cut along with the other parts, I just need some solid drawings and measurements for the design. If you, OdiWan72, or anyone has done any of the legwork on these already, please share and I can ready things for laser cutting! (y)

I am happy to have the "jigsaw" parts laser cut along with the other parts, I just need some solid drawings and measurements for the design. If you, OdiWan72, or anyone has done any of the legwork on these already, please share and I can ready things for laser cutting! (y)

will share the models and drawings I have next week. Need to find time to adjust the dimensions of the jigsaw parts, since I scaled them to my scratchbuilt scanner housing back the days, which is a tad smaller than the real dispensers

also have the circuit breakers, the readout housing, the white box (even if not as accurate as I‘d like) and the small inserts for the jigsaw part

will share the models and drawings I have next week. Need to find time to adjust the dimensions of the jigsaw parts, since I scaled them to my scratchbuilt scanner housing back the days, which is a tad smaller than the real dispensers

also have the circuit breakers, the readout housing, the white box (even if not as accurate as I‘d like) and the small inserts for the jigsaw part
Great! If you send me the rest of your models and drawings I'll see what I can do about getting the pieces for the circuit breakers laser cut too. Then I can sort out how to bend them into shape and see if that's a viable option for folks. (y)

Jigsaw part for laser cutting. I just need dimensions. However Elysia has already modelled all these parts so is there any point in me doing them?

Attachments

• jig.jpg
    jig.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 88
I can't shake the feeling that those white pieces are some sort of fluid reservoir from a car, RC engine, etc. I know they have those "slits" but is it confirmed that the slits go all the way through to the main body of the reservoir? Could they just be recesses to allow the tank to sort of "snap" or "slide" into place?

Rough white part with guessing dimensions.
That‘s awesome

you can scale this based on the small round V8 part on top
If you don‘t have one, I will provide the OD tomorrow
It‘s quite a complex part -for me- to model, never got it right, so thanks for doing this with your eye for detail!!!

the jigsaw part is something I already had lasercut for my scratchbuilt scanner, but I need to adjust the size to the dimensions of the actual dispensers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back