ESB Hoth Graflex - Roman Props with Prizm V5

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

JCDenton0

Hello everyone,

Long time reader of this amazing forum but first time poster as I did not have much to contribute before.

My turn to join the club of saber builders(ish).

I had a few sabers in my collection for a while but I never tried to build one before. I thought this was the perfect opportunity to try since there is so many options now for the boards, chassis, LED etc...

So of course I chose to build a Graflex, in ESB set up (simply because it is my favorite graflex set up of the lot), with a Goth 3D Knight V2 chassis and a Prizm V5 board. The "usual" so to speak...

I had very little experience with the whole electronic/soldering stuff except a theoretical knowledge. The whole enterprise is very daunting but after many hours of research and comparing with similar projects, I was pretty sure of where I was going. The practical how was a bit different...
I know the forum is full of seasoned DIY veteran, but for a complete beginner, it is scarier than that cave on Dagobah...

But after the disassembly, sanding, painting, soldering and reassembly ( and a bit more sanding), the fact that I finished this project is hugely satisfying. I think I should have started by a more "simpler" project but it give me more confidence to do more !

So here is the entire list of materials used for the project :

Hilt : Roman's Props already converted Graflex Flashgun Replica with the Empire Strikes Back Setup.

Chassis :
  • Knight Var 2 - Part 1/Black Strong and Flexible - Goth3D - Shapeways
  • Knight Var 2 - Part 2/Black Strong and Flexible - Goth3D - Shapeways
  • Knight Var 2 - Part 4/Raw Brass - Goth3D - Shapeways
  • Knight Var 2 - Part 5/Raw Bronze - Goth3D - Shapeways
  • MultiBoards Adaptive Chassis card/Black Strong and Flexible - Goth3D - Shapeways
  • Brass Rods (1.5, 2.5 and 3 mm) - The Saber Armory
  • Blade Holder : DELUXE Romans Graflex 1″ Blade Holder - The Saber Armory
  • HeatSink : 1″ OD Heatsink Module For Single and Tri LED - The Saber Armory
  • Wire Mesh from Amaco - Amazon
  • Great Planes All Thread Rod 4-40x12" - Amazon
  • Brass Hex Nut, #4-40 - The Custom Saber Shop
Electronics :
  • Main LED : Tri Cree XPE-2 LED B/B/W - The Custom Saber Shop
  • Accent LED : 5mm Blue LED x1 - The Saber Armory
  • Battery : Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 10A 3200mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery - Solo's Hold
  • Recharge Port : Switchcraft High Quality 2.1mm Recharge Port - The Saber Armory
  • Switches : Low Profile Tactile Switch x2 - The Saber Armory
  • Speaker : 2W 28mm 8ohm OD Bass Speaker - The Saber Armory
  • Board : PRIZM V5.1 - The Custom Saber Shop
  • Wires : 30 AWG Uxcell a13101800ux0531 P/N B-30-1000 200M - Amazon
  • Resistors : 1ohm 2w resistor x3 - The Custom Saber Shop

Misc :
  • Graflex Pin Tool (GPT) in Metal from ShtokCustomWorx at Shapeways
  • Chrome Mylar Tape Strip - 1/2" Thick Skywampa/Etsy
  • Clamp Card ESB with Silver Inserts from Slothfurnace
  • Crystals - HypnoticGem/Amazon
  • Blade Plug : KR Saber Graflex Blade Plug 1" - The Saber Armory
  • Brass contact strip : reused the one for the Roman's Prop - Roman's Prop
  • Kill key plug style 5 - Brass - The Custom Saber Shop
  • Paint : Citadel paints
The whole process and questions are on another forum ( do not know if I can post it here) if you want to have the full history.

Below is the wiring schematic for future reference :

The only "fancy" things that I have done is use the two red buttons as my main and aux switches.

And finally Glam shots of the thing once completed :
IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1233.jpg
IMG_1228.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.