ESB-Hoth DL44 - another MGC based SW blaster, again ....

Lichtbringer

Master Member
We all know that the people usually build the "Bespin-Version", the "Hoth" seems to be very rare - maybe cause it´s mount is not as easy made as on the "Bespin". But ........ in the last time i had done some pieces over and over again, so i wanted to try something new - i measured some pics, made a sketch, grabbed some material ... and started. ;)

Some first cuts in metal later, the contour was milled:

esb-Hothdl-44003.jpg

After that i found three M3 bolts, just the right size:

esb-Hothdl-44004.jpg

Made the disc

esb-Hothdl-44007.jpg

With a threaded rod on the backside

esb-Hothdl-44006.jpg

(But of course it could have also been a flat disc that only covers a sunken head bolt in the scope mount)

And a disc as a spacer between gun and mount

esb-Hothdl-44005.jpg

The completed mount, with drilled holes, cutout and mounted scope

esb-Hothdl-44008.jpg

Then cutting the three M3 threads, and assembling the disc to the mount

esb-Hothdl-44009.jpg

the rear side

esb-Hothdl-44010.jpg

And with added spacer

esb-Hothdl-44011.jpg

And assembled on one of my test bed Denix (for drilling holes and testing stuff without any hesitations of damaging a rare MGC-Mauser)

esb-Hothdl-44012.jpg

(I used a older, already existing hole. On the final gun the mount will be placed some few milimeters higher.)

Last edited:
Re: ESB-Hoth DL44 - another metal SW blaster, again ....

VERY NICE...any plans to make a "V.2" with a brass insert? :love

When do you sleep???
I was in the believe that you´re overworked w/o any spare time for new prop related stuff :p

Markus

No, Markus - there is no such plan.

I see no reason why i should do that. I see no brass on any pic available to me - only "silver" metal and glue residues. The same as if something was glued on with original pattex and later torn off, slighly higher in the middle so there was contact and the glue kept it´s "yellow" color, with a surounding gap where dirt has come in and made the glue black. At some places there´s still glue, on other it´s gone and the metal shines through.

Well, i do such stuff when other people are sleeping. ;)

You DOG!!! That looks fantastic! I do believe you are the first to ever make the correct Hoth blaster. Man it makes me wish I never got rid of my old Boba Debt kitted blaster.....I'd have loved to deck it out with an accurate fastener like this. Alas....I only have my Luke ESB now.

Kudos on yet another great build(y)cool

Steve

I'm a big fan of your work, Mikey-boy!

Are you going to MGC this one too?

You DOG!!!

Thank you, Sir. :love

That looks fantastic!

Thank you, Sir. :)

Not yet, but i hope one day it will. :D

I do believe you are the first to ever make the correct Hoth blaster. Man it makes me wish I never got rid of my old Boba Debt kitted blaster.....I'd have loved to deck it out with an accurate fastener like this. Alas....I only have my Luke ESB now.

Let me know if i can help - i´m already quite busy, so i´m slow at making new stuff - but i try my best to help.

Kudos on yet another great build(y)cool

Thanks again. :)

I'm a big fan of your work, Mikey-boy!

I´m just a simple man, trying to build my way in the universe. :lol

Are you going to MGC this one too?

Sure, as soon as i get another one in my fingers.

I could use the one i have, as i like this version more than the ROTJ - but that decision is already made: It will be made together with yours and Markus to a ROTJ. :confused

So i need to find another MGC for this one. :wacko

OK, lads

what do you see on this pic - a silver disc with a brass inner part? Or a silver disc with some semitransparent yellowish glue residues with silver shining through?

cdea_3_1_.jpg

The outer part is debatable, paint residues or dirtied up glue residues - but I´ve been metal worker for some years before i ended in a office, and i can´t see any brass.

What do you guys see?

Last edited:

I agree. It looks like glue.
Also the photo itself has a lot of yellow to it making it look more yellow than it probably is.

Thanks Chris - to be honest, i was irritated for a moment when Markus requested for brass, as i had never seen any brass there when looking on the pics.

Funny side notice ... today i made a google pic search for "Stormtrooper lightsaber", and found this at the 501st site :cool:

125_24.jpg

Check the greeblie on the endcap. :lol

I stand corrected...I didn´t have access to the reference pic of the su Hoth blaster at the time I posted. So I only had the "brassy" inner disk in front of my inner eye. :$

If only I could get my hands on another batch of NOS MGC C96´s like I did many years ago. IIRC I bought a stock of about 20-30 and sold most of them to RPF members.

Markus

Great work, Michael! I'm glad someone is tackling this blaster. :)

Interesting about the greeblie on the Stormie saber. Hmmm.....

I too think it's glue residue. Seems awful messy not to be...even around the perimeter of ths circle. The entire disk looks to be about the size of one of the Revell V-8 kit parts that was used on the ESB Fett blaster chamber sides. Mayyybe something like this was glued onto the surface...just a thought. :)

The "vibration damper pully Part #107"

I stand corrected...I didn´t have access to the reference pic of the su Hoth blaster at the time I posted. So I only had the "brassy" inner disk in front of my inner eye. :$

I had no intention to "correct" you :confused

If only I could get my hands on another batch of NOS MGC C96´s like I did many years ago. IIRC I bought a stock of about 20-30 and sold most of them to RPF members.

I better don´t start thinking about the hard times i will have to collect the MGCs i´m still needing. :unsure

Great work, Michael! I'm glad someone is tackling this blaster. :)

Thanks ..... glad enough to say "forget the ROTJ, use the MGC for this one"? :lol

Interesting about the greeblie on the Stormie saber. Hmmm.....

Isn´t the stormie saber (at least this variant) only fanfiction? Probably someone liked the blaster detail and "loaned it for the saber design.

I too think it's glue residue. Seems awful messy not to be...even around the perimeter of ths circle. The entire disk looks to be about the size of one of the Revell V-8 kit parts that was used on the ESB Fett blaster chamber sides. Mayyybe something like this was glued onto the surface...just a thought. :)

The "vibration damper pully Part #107"

Interesting idea. I wonder what that part on the mount was before it ended there.

Thanks ..... glad enough to say "forget the ROTJ, use the MGC for this one"? :lol

Isn´t the stormie saber (at least this variant) only fanfiction? Probably someone liked the blaster detail and "loaned it for the saber design.

No! If you only have one MGC, it MUST be converted to "The King"! :D

Yes, that Stormie saber is from the Expanded Universe.

Any more progress?

Man! I really miss my collection. Especially my blasters. :(

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back