ESB Graflex help- scratch build

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by av32productions, Sep 1, 2015.

1. av32productions

av32productions New Member

I am trying to build an ESB Graflex without having to buy a 900 dollar graflex. I am planning to buy most of the internal components, the grips, and clamp from custom saber shop but I need to find a main body. hopefully one with a correct thickness and finish. I am scouring the web and I am having trouble finding a good combination of the tube.

All in all, I need to find a Metal tube with a good finish and correct gauge to be the basis of the Bespin saber

MonkeyHeads likes this.
  2. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wannawannga.com for all you ESB parts... he even sells a ESB. idk what anyone says, roys parts are the most accurate, hes super fast on shipping ( and i live in the states!) and his communication is the best! i love doing business with him

SpeedRacerx and roygilsing like this.
  3. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would try onlinemetals.com and look for either an aluminum tube that you can brush the finish or a stainless steel tube.

4. cyberpyrot

cyberpyrot Well-Known Member

I have a dinged up top piece from a graflex missing buttons and lens. I will take a picture when I get home

5. av32productions

I would love to see it.

Also side note, does anyone know the correct thickness for the main body? I know that it is 1.5 inches diameter but I don't know the gauge of the metal for the tube. graflex_1A.jpg

6. cyberpyrot

This is it. Are you interested in it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  7. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The inner diameter is varying for each Graflex. They are roughly 1.4 inches inner diameter from what measurements we took. These are mine and my buddies so they're all around 1.38 - 1.4 in.
    11909714_10205907961752823_1296432454_n_zps9rurypqb.jpg

8. cyberpyrot

You have messaged me regarding a price for this peice as you know they are going for an obscene amount of money. Well here is my price it is just as expensive. You are now part of a community although parts of our hobby may inflate due to new movies do not use this to take advantage of new members. Always help others! You can have the part for free just pay shipping however if you replace it with something better pass it on to some one else do not sell it. If you can agree to this I will ship it to you.

9. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

HELLuva deal.

Reelo likes this.
  10. av32productions

Thanks to the lovely cyberpyrot, I will be using a real graflex top for this build. Its super helpful and very nice of him. I am going to now order the parts for the outside and rest of the hilt and i will keep this thread updated when i finish. Again, many thanks go out to cyberpyrot

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    spydrwebz likes this.
  11. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Since you're getting a real graflex (Bravo Cyberpyrot!) can I recommend that you buy your grips from Roy, instead of custom saber shop, since they will be more accurate,

12. av32productions

I think I will. the saber shop is only gonna be for the buttons and the clamp. roys stuff is better

13. cyberpyrot

Shipped

14. av32productions

Again, many thanks to cyberpyrot for the graflex handle. I have also already purchased the luke esb kit from roy at wannawanga. I bought a clamp from custom saber shop and some replica buttons from the graflex shop.

roygilsing likes this.
  15. av32productions

update. i have received the top of the flash handle, again, courtesy of cyberpyrot, and the clamp from custom saber shop. i will try to post pictures tomorrow

MCM likes this.
  16. av32productions

IMG_4556.JPG
    Behold, the almost complete esb graflex saber with a scratch built bottom half. Like most of my builds, I was so excited to work on it, I forgot to do a proper play-by-play with pictures so I will just try to explain it carefully. its not a complicated build.
    IMG_4557.JPG
    Under help from you guys, I decided to get Roy's saber parts.
    IMG_4558.JPG
    This is the bottom. It was harder to do this part because of the build. The inner workings of the bottom half consist of a chrome plated brass extension tube 1 1/2" in diameter, a wooden dowel 1 3/8" in diameter, and a steel sheet for the very bottom. I had to take sandpaper and wrap it around the brass tube and get the proper brushed finish. Then I cut it to size.
    IMG_4562.JPG
    It was a very mirror finish so i took the sandpaper and wrapped it around it. Then sanded in one direction to get a good finish. Then I took a dremel and cut out the pattern into the top of the tube matching the top half so it fits into the clamp.

IMG_4561.JPG
    its a little rough but when the saber is assembled you don't see it.
    Then I cut the dowel to the length of the bottom half.
    IMG_4559.JPG
    The screws on the t tracks are whats holding the dowel inside. The bottom of the saber was more difficult
    IMG58.jpg
    Under the clip circled in red, there is a two inch wood screw holding the clip down, while the rivets keep it from moving side to side.

So that's all right now. I am missing the red buttons. I had ordered some, but they are seemingly lost in the mail, so i have one last question to ask. I know how some of you guys feel about park sabers, but he has the only other buttons that screw in using the original threads. I know that he usually takes awhile to ship full sabers but does anyone know how quick he ships indv. parts? I'd appreciate the help

MCM, SpeedRacerx, Sym-Cha and 3 others like this.
  17. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice job on the bottom piece. Never an easy task to figure a solution, but that looks pretty * good.

18. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice job on the bottom piece! Thanks for choosing my parts. And thanks guys for recommending me :)
    If you all lived closer nearby I would invite you all for dinner!

av32productions likes this.
  19. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice job cutting out that locking mechanism!

20. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Done like a true propmaker . . . solving problems without the need to throw a lot of cash on the counter :)

Chaim

21. MonkeyHeads

MonkeyHeads New Member

Well done sir! It looks very sharp and when it's assembled, it's hard to tell where the real Graflex ends and the replica bottom half begins!

It would seem my story is the same as yours except a few chapters behind... I aim to scratch build a Graflex-esque hilt from some steel pipe and sheet metal attempting to use the techniques in "Ant's Graflex Replica" guide. I am also unable to find/pay out the nose for any authentic Graflex parts. But maybe someday when I'm rich and famous I can. A man can dream

"For the Jedi it is time to eat as well..."

22. propmainiac

propmainiac Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bravo on the scratch build! I spent many hours building hardware store sabers. Radio Shack used to be where id get my knobs from. They no longer sell the connectors i used to use for the knobs. For the glass eye i used to use the lens from disposable cameras.

23. spydrwebz

spydrwebz Well-Known Member

Nice job!