ESB Bladed Stunt Graflex Lightsaber "The Core!"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by thd9791, Dec 27, 2018.

1. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Only reason I say that is because the v2 was hacked off

But who’s to say now the blade doesn’t slide over the v2 rod like the dv6?

Very possible like you guys are saying, the blade slides over the rod

2. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The 3m fabric is thicker than the tape, but very lightweight. The tape is almost negligible when it comes to extra mass, but I think this stuff will look better. Kurtyboys stunt is scary accurate
    the DV6 rod has hacksaw marks, and even has the uneven area when you give up backdating and take a hammer and finish the break!

3. thd9791

Give up hacksawing! Wtf phone, android autocorrect is terriblw

4. Dann

Dann Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry, yeah, I was just talking in a general sense when I said cut off the blade. Probably was the rod that the blade slid over.

Whatever it was, they sawed it off I'm guessing to get it ready to go on tour. Like y'all have already said.

And yes!! That's the pic. Who IS that guy?! Is he also wearing and Indy jacket? And I never noticed the car on the left, I'm guessing that's from Last Crusade? Sallah's brother in law's car?

Anyway, I used to come back to that pic a lot in the late 90s. The blade is mesmerizing, and the dude has this "look at what a BAMF I am" look on his face!

thd9791 likes this.
  5. Dann

I can also see (in the deep background) a 3P0 head, a Hoth Scanner, the T-16 model, and closer to us, possibly a blaster or two? Could that be the Greedo Killer? I wanna say I can almost see the two Weaver rings. Could just be what I WANT to see.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    thd9791 likes this.
  6. Dann

I'm so sorry, I totally derailed this whole thing!!

thd9791 likes this.
  7. thd9791

No worries, the ROTJ saber is extremely important to this project.

I think those are DL-44s, and the floppy sight is facing the camera of one of them

8. Dann

Maybe it's a casting of a Singlepoint that I'm seeing. I just don't know. Kind of just turns into a black blob when you stare too long. Posting it again so I don't have to keep going back a page. Hope that's cool. tapatalk_1552073605420.jpeg

9. halliwax

thd9791 and thegnome like this.
  10. Dann

Thanks for that! Haven't seen these pics in A LONG time!

So the dude is Josh Ling. Dunno who that is, but man, what a lucky buncha du-brahs!

There were a couple Restraining Bolts in one of the pics, that weren't noted in the caption. Just to the left of the dude's eyeline, right of the fuzzy dice. And closer to us, looks like Lando's microphone. Just left of the hat.
    archive25_lg.jpg

teecrooz likes this.
  11. Mouse Vader

Mouse Vader Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Finally... got my V2 painted & blade made up. Golf club core, Chinese fabric, spray adhesive. Tricky to do - it took me 3 goes to get it down to lightly

wrinkled. The bumpiness is the glue, comes out like Spiderman with a heavy cold. However this looks much like what's in the pic's. Luckily cleans up

with white spirit. Still have to work out how to photograph to get the blade really bright.

DSC08702.JPG DSC08701.JPG DSC08694.JPG DSC08686.JPG DSC08685.JPG DSC08684.JPG

halliwax and thd9791 like this.
  12. thd9791

nice! that fabric looks a lot like the roger christian video.

halliwax likes this.
  13. Mouse Vader

The grayness certainly looks very like the pictures we have. Even the wrinkles, I think, explain something that's always puzzled me but I haven't the time to explain just now, I'm here to post a couple more pic's.

I can do bright ! & look Ma no flash either.

DSC08714.JPG

& I can do colours !!! :eek:

DSC08716.JPG
    DSC08717.JPG

kurtyboy, jorged123 and thegnome like this.
  14. halliwax

Looking good guys

I just realized one of my work jackets has this stuff on it

IMG_8578.jpg

IMG_8577.jpg

thd9791 and jorged123 like this.
  15. thd9791

nice!!!!
    i bought myself some of the chinese fabric, going to wrap my second ski pole in that instead. The Scotchlite seems best for the square blade idea

halliwax likes this.
  16. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

Hey ALLEY ! You've been awfully quiet. Did you ever get that APX50? And are you secretly snatching up all of the pre-Vietnam era surplus antennas?

I keep looking at the table pic...
    archives-jpg.jpg

... and the one in the lower left corner with the 6"-7" of rod poking out the end gives me pause to wonder if it was the style of blade inserted through the V2 Nipple, and maybe even the Mitchel/Elstree GRAFLEX (if it's legit) welded washer thingy. This next bit is speculation but play it out in your head gang... if this blade was a VERY used stunt part, could it be that all of the fiberglass was whacked off of the rod? Yeah, I know phrasing, but seriously, antennas like the APX50, if similar to the ones used in the movies, have a metal core. And some of the antennas I've been seeing while Googling around do have bits of rod coming out of them like the one in this photo. That said, they don't have that large a difference between the rod and the aerial proper, almost none in fact. But it's a hypothesis anyway. And those slight, fat flanges on blades #2 and #3 (L-R) are giving me fits!

Then there's the blade that they guy in the mauve shirt is holding in this pic...
    img_8232-jpg.jpg

...which looks a lot like #4 (L-R in the 1st pic). I was thinking it may have been a motor, but then maybe it's just a weight? Or better yet a GRAFLEX tube filler... the one on the table has some DV6 looking holes drilled into it. The holes near the front of the weight are there to mimic the recess in the GRAFLEX and the other one's there to hold in the blade.

And is the end of the tube the woman is holding covered in nasty old grip glue, or was that rusty? mess somehow down inside another bit of "handle tube"?

17. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I’m just too backed-up with other to get to contributing to this project, right now.

I tender obtaining one of these antennas to anyone who can readily take on this mission.

18. Mouse Vader

There's irony here somewhere as I've just ordered some M3 tape for the balsa blades as they will be doing sound tests as part of their job & the dif. fabric may alter that aspect.

thd9791 likes this.
  19. thd9791

I love these discussions. So, for the ESB Graflex stuff, the diameter of those antennas looks way too skinny inside the bunny ear rings. maybe for other sabers?

That antenna down front, with the long tang, I've been wondering if it was for the Shares Stunt. That little short spacer looks to be the same depth as the open area in the shared stunt emitter, and it would then extend down the neck into the motor area.

Also, good call on the blade that Rinzler is holding. You're correct, that is a solid metal spacer (Brandon even talked about these) with countersunk holes for bolts. it does look like it almost matches the saber already put together there. Thats glue on the handle I guess - looks like it had those fat foam grips. idk where I got this pic, is it okay I post it? I'll take it down if I have to. This blade also looks much thicker. I've asked some of those guys for diameters of those military antennae and they are golf club/skinnier. Good for a V2 maybe, but not a Graflex, which are the same diameter as the red button, or a little thicker
    foamgrips.jpg

halliwax likes this.
  20. halliwax

Those are the clearest I’ve ever seen of the pipe saber, can see the far grips real good here

Looks like just pieces of foam cut

Drew Baker likes this.
  21. Mouse Vader

Got more fabric tape today. £3.99 for 5 meters (50mm wide). The only dif, from genuine M3 is that it's slightly less silvery to look at (same graininess) & maybe a tiny bit less bright but it has to be side by side to notice. Everything else is identical in look & feel. Will certainly do for my tests. I only went for this as it's UK seller & I wouldn't have to wait. Glad I did.

New tape is top strip, real scotchbrite bottom strip, both on Chinese stuff as back cloth.

DSC08797.JPG

cloth side all 3.
    DSC08798.JPG

brightnesses.

DSC08795.JPG

thd9791 likes this.
  22. thd9791

I'm beginning to think the Bespin Duel used different reflective stuff than what I was thinking. The blades there look painted, with bits chipping off. Does anyone know if reflective paint was available in the 70s? Looks like all thats available now has glass stuck to the paint.

I also realized my original idea for this saber came from the Dagobah filming scenes.

Those deleted scenes are very good. There's a shot with luke/yoda with reflective material on the blade, (these are just screenshots of my computer) Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.13.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.12.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.13.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.14.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.14.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.15.30 PM.png

then a B&W shot with some misaligned rotoscoping ontop of it.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.15.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.16.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.16.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.16.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.17.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.17.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.18.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.18.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.18.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.19.16 PM.png

I was trying to see what the color of the reflection was... maybe that would give a hint to the type of tape or paint they used. I think I got the length pretty right, my blue blade is maybe 4-5 inches too long

23. thd9791

I'm bad at modern video uploading/sharing, its like I'm stuck in 2013, anyway, I did a swing test for plain old Reflexite and the luminosity changes with position.

I also forgot how tall I am, you can hear the clunk as I hit the ceiling :D

24. redbutton

redbutton Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great Tom - I like how you grab the blade at the end of the movie! Funny how
    your hand doesn't melt. You are the prop making gawd!

thd9791 likes this.
  25. halliwax

Tom I love this freak’n video!! You have me in tears with the ceiling!!

This so much reminds me of the Vader hall way scene!!

That blue looks amazing buddy! All your hard work and research has paid off! Congratulations!

thd9791 likes this.
  26. thd9791

Thanks! Next step is to make another blade covered in gray chinese reflective fabric, once I get it in the mail.. thats 1) drill and tap set screws 2) slice a threaded rod to length and add dimples 3) trim and coat the blade

Or use another golf club, I mean, the Dagobah shot does have a rather thin blade

halliwax likes this.
  27. thd9791

Still waiting on material from china. In the meantime I screwed my terrible Scotchlite blade into the graflex just to get a look at it. Couldn't get this stuff to hug the tapered pole very well, but it still reflects hard 20190318_215235.jpg 20190318_214457.jpg 20190318_214508.jpg 20190318_214336.jpg

28. Dann

29. halliwax

That dat boy!!!

30. halliwax

Looking for reference for god only knows what I bumped into this gif the other night, thought of you Tom

IMG_8719.gif

thd9791 and jorged123 like this.
  31. Dann

Hahahaha is that a young Warwick Davis and is that Mark Hamill? The part that's NOT showing Warwick is so fast, I have NO IDEA what the heck is going on!

But, for whatever reason, it's still funny!

thd9791 and halliwax like this.
  32. thd9791

So, in yet another experiment, I decided to make a double collar, like Brandon had talked about. This is using a graphite golf club. Half inch round tube inside (3/8 ID for the threaded rod) and on the outside is round tube that's the same diameter as the golf club. All aluminum. I also used a rivet nut to start off the inside collar since I didn't tap the inner bushing.
    20190319_164252.jpg
    I drilled the outer bushing first, and used it as a guide to drill the golf club and the inner pieces at the same time. (I super glued the inside pieces together so they wouldn't slide down the shaft inside while I drilled!)

I tapped the farthest hole first, and then drilled the other two and tapped them. Kept everything situated while I worked.
    20190319_170120.jpg 20190319_171602.jpg

My set screws at 5/16 are too long. I think 1/4 will be better if I can find them.

20190319_171842.jpg

It's pretty sturdy, and when I get back to my place I'll stick it in a graflex. I plan on wrapping this one with a reflective material. Seems like the Scotchlite looks like what was used but the Chinese fabric may look better!

halliwax likes this.
  33. thd9791

Actually the outer sleeve may be stainless or something, totally different finish!

halliwax likes this.
  34. halliwax

Look at this guy go!!

35. halliwax

Tom I am a visual learner, I have a hard time reading something being explained

I always thought the double collar meant this,

IMG_8726.jpg

but now I get what your saying. Thanks for visually explaining

thd9791 likes this.
  36. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I always thought the collar went on the outside of the blade.

thd9791 likes this.
  37. thd9791

Nice drawing! That core made me smile

I remember him saying that there was metal on the inside and outside of the bottom of the blade. This is why, for a quick interpretation, I went to the metal store and got two pieces of round tube.

technically I've got,

1) the threaded rod
    2) inner Alu bushing (to fill the space inside)
    3) Graphite tube
    4) outer Alu bushing (more meat for the set screws to grip)

and the thickness is important on the inner bushing. There aren't any gaps in diameter.

Tapping the graphite tube was WEIRD, it sounded like cutting construction paper.

halliwax likes this.
  38. halliwax

Dude I know!! I can’t do it!! Just like the sound of a cotton ball being squished!! Oh my god goes right through me!!

39. thd9791

I have a new found respect for all you guys who use 3M spray adhesive.

I got the Chinese fabric today, and I love it. Much easier to work with and very reflective without that grainy ness.

I opened a new can of spray adhesive and used it on a scrap of the fabric and on one of these kid sized ski poles.

All I could do was yell * * *

With the strength of epoxy, I glued the fabric to the newspaper beneath it, and glued the newspaper to the floor almost instantaneously. This was my second attempt and I had to peel it off itself and peel paper off the pole. Did not get it all off but decided to smear the fabric in place anyway, terrible wrinkles and folds sticking out. This is a couple
    Wraps of fabric... but holy crap that stuff is like super glue! How does everyone work with it without sticking to everything?
    EC63BDE3-4718-42FB-AA1C-BF2A2C1E2DB8.jpeg

Still...look at how strongly it reflects from a couple feet away
    43AA6B1A-C624-4971-BB38-8EFE91CA67E0.jpeg

halliwax and Dann like this.
  40. Dann

Which spray adhesive did you use? Super 90? Super 77?
    And wow! That's bright!!

41. thd9791

Super 77! I’m so scared to use it ever again lol

halliwax likes this.
  42. halliwax

Work with it ever so slowly

43. thd9791

Feels like a stupid question but.. did you spray both rod and fabric? I laid the fabric upside down, sprayed it and hoped to pick it up and lay it on the tube. It was stuck to the surface I laid it on!

44. halliwax

No such thing as stupid questions, I spray them both

I keep the fabric on the work bench, shiny side down, lightly spray the back. The pole I cover pretty good

When the fabric and pole is tacky, then I slowly roll the pole on the fabric and I mean slowly

Rolling the pole with 1 hand while keeping the fabric tight.. let me take a picture to improvise ;)

thd9791 likes this.
  45. halliwax

This is how I roll it Tom

IMG_8766.jpg

This way too by doing small increments of rolls you can stop it from over lapping

If your having a hard time. Only spray the edge

So spray the whole pole. And only the starting edge of the fabric, role the pole onto the starting edge of the fabric

Let it dry.

Then spray the edge of the pole and the blank part of the fabric, only a small part of the fabric enough for you to roll it, and continue to do it that way until the whole pole is covered

Just don’t rush anything. If the adhesive drys you can always hit it again with spray

But I think your best bet is not spraying the entire piece of fabric and only small increments

thd9791 likes this.
  46. halliwax

Making a quick video Tom be right back

thd9791 likes this.
  47. halliwax

Tom see if this video works

Instead of holding it with my hand, you can have your girlfriend hold the fabric with both her hands while you both pull, holding it right and you slowly roll

thd9791 likes this.