ESB Bladed Stunt Graflex Lightsaber "The Core!"

Aaahhhh I see it now.. crap... the golf clubs are also close to 15mm at their thickest...

Do they make larger ski poles? Not this Sunday but maybe next I’m gonna hit up the flea market see if there’s any there. What size are you looking for exactly?

Yes they do! Some ski poles clock in at 18 mm! Stovepipe Sr. is one new example that is the right size. I'm on the hunt for those thick ones without paying 50 bucks.

bring some calipers when you go! it will look weird, but they're probably thicker than your thumb

Alright, those jr. ski poles are the wrong thickness, but there's still much to learn. I got a refund and was told not to send them back. So that means it's experiment time!

This is a rivet nut, it's 3/8 16 and it's a cylinder with a flange. Probably meant to embed in wood or something. It exactly fits the ski pole, no joke. The red flakes are rubber from the handle. I had to slit it open and pry it loose with a screwdriver before twisting it off.
20190130_155126.jpg
20190130_155158.jpg

Now, the threaded rod I have is still long so I wrapped some painters tape around the other end to limit the rattle inside the blade.
20190130_155055.jpg
20190130_155323.jpg

I added a little e6000 to the rivet nut and the threaded rod too just for a temp solution. When tightened together, they hold up pretty well with the core. No dueling, haven't even thought about that since they might have done something else like got the blade into the core somehow

Anyways, tried to hold it like we might see in a bts photo, it's pretty secure and the aluminum blade is a little heavier than you'd expect, leveling out the lightsaber
20190130_151859.jpg

Tom I’m definitely bringing my mics. I actually have a extra set in my glove box I use them so much in stores lol

That brass nut I’ve never seen before, really quick thinking on how to adapt the ski pole over!

Very, very cool! My ski pole on my V3 measures 17,5mm at the base, and I got it for less than 30 Euros on German evilbay. But as I mentioned in another thread before, the taper starts around the middle of the pole which I think is not sceen accurate.

Very, very cool! My ski pole on my V3 measures 17,5mm at the base, and I got it for less than 30 Euros on German evilbay. But as I mentioned in another thread before, the taper starts around the middle of the pole which I think is not sceen accurate.

Hopefully the ski poles I have coming to me taper 2/3 or more down the length. Do you remember what sort of adapter is inside your ski pole? I plan on using set screws but I have to fill the space inside too, I'm thinking I may tap a piece of round stock and make my own threaded spacer

I have a question for the machinists out there

I found a possible option for blade attachment. The DV6 seems to have a smooth shaft sticking out of the emitter. I could use one of these for blade tang.
single end stud.png

It's a single end stud.

Now, the Ski poles are pretty thin walled. There isn't much meat to tap a set screw.... How can someone mechanically attach a thin walled pipe over a smooth stud? Any ideas?

Your wrapping the pole in scotchlite right?

I would take 3/8-16 bolt, cut the head off

Then sand the bolt until it fits inside the ski pole

If it’s lose, I would drill and tap a 3mm grub screw it in

Since the pole is covered in scotchlite your not going to see the screw, and this will allow you to screw/unscrew the ski pole into the flash core

I had a piece of round aluminum stock press fit into my ski pole. No grub screw, but I actually never duelled with that setup, only wallhangin' and mild swinging.

Here’s some more material for the discussion. Got the new ski poles. They are Series 2 shafts, and called Scott Signature.
2F754648-314C-4551-B793-5F0DD7849433.jpeg
DC1E05F2-ED9C-491C-8F75-E933AD78E757.jpeg
098846A2-E3A7-4F1A-AB9A-35137AE943D1.jpeg

Scott makes a lot of weirdly named styles, as do other brands. For example the first accurately thick kind I found were called stovepipe or something.

Here are the dimensions.
75809D37-0082-4960-99D3-4D61603DEB8E.jpeg
D1E524CC-3E18-4F5E-B64E-BA679356ABA3.jpeg
22908B60-1255-44A1-98F4-3B2B5DC20177.jpeg

I think the 15 or so mm inside translates to near 5/8 which will make it easier finding a spacer. In order to thread this on I need to tighten the pole to the spacer so they both will spin together. Wall thickness is 1.87 mm to tap a set screw in

Looks decent on a graflex, but I think some blades might have been thicker? I’m mulling this over. I like where it tapers.
D608FC23-E6FB-487A-8BEF-03B6F1945068.jpeg
70463A41-C5AE-4909-BEC3-27F0F81ED5AB.jpeg

I also tried my hand at notching grips without a dremel, using a ******* file, saw, and calipers as a guide. I’m cleaning them up with a dremel before I drill them out, the file was rough on them Epoxy? 3m mounting tape? E6000? That last one takes like 24 hours to cure but it’s stronger, what do you use?
B2854FB5-9169-4C19-9113-7F1DDE3CA182.jpeg
FF2007AE-C559-4B10-A674-E711BAD8C2D5.jpeg

Attachments

• 217BCEC5-1515-4118-82A6-555E5FBE56F5.jpeg
    217BCEC5-1515-4118-82A6-555E5FBE56F5.jpeg
    858.8 KB · Views: 106
Not to take things off of the rails on this thread, but I still go back to military antenna, like the following, as the most likely source for the ESB / ROTJ blades:

F180852A-47C5-4071-A2D1-228FDAD342FA.jpeg

Once painted with reflective paint, these antennas would have the correct shape of the blades that were used.

Added to this, these antenna should be far tougher than ski poles. Again, growing up in Colorado, we lightsabered with old ski poles all the time as kids and they typically stood up to about 30 minutes of dueling without deforming. If they used ski poles in ESB / ROTJ, they would have to have had a ton of them on hand each day as Hamill chopped wood with them. None of the behind the scenes photos show the deformed blades that I would expect if ski poles were used.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Not to take things off of the rails on this thread, but I still go back to military antenna, like the following, as the most likely source for the ESB / ROTJ blades:

View attachment 986914

Once painted with reflective paint, these antennas would have the correct shape of the blades that were used.

Added to this, these antenna should be far tougher than ski poles. Again, growing up in Colorado, we lightsabered with old ski poles all the time as kids and they typically stood up to about 30 minutes of dueling without deforming. If they used ski poles in ESB / ROTJ, they would have to have had a ton of them on hand each day as Hamill chopped wood with them. None of the behind the scenes photos show the deformed blades that I would expect if ski poles were used.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Can you get us the outside diameter of that antenna?

And where can we find them eBay?

Any more information on finding the exact match you have would be awesome

Can you get us the outside diameter of that antenna?

And where can we find them eBay?

Any more information on finding the exact match you have would be awesome

I’m on it. I’ll follow-up as soon as I have one in-hand.

The example, above is 48” in length and approximately a thumb width in diameter at it’s widest point, according to this picture (I did not take this pic and these are not my fingers):

A5F895F3-3A3F-4E67-A54E-6072EE2E0608.jpeg

Please also note that the core of the antenna is otherwise solid with a threaded area on the bottom.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back