ERTL Quality

PHArchivist

Master Member
Consider this thread just general comentary...

I've bought quite a few ERTL car kits over the past few years, but its been a year or two since I've built one...

Boy, the quality sort of sucks these days.. HEAVY connection points to the parts runners, poor locations of the connection points, WAY to much flash, heavy use of mold release...

I was surprised -- seemed like a departure from the "semi-acceptable" level of quality they seemed to protray in the past...

Well, it's not Ertl anymore either...it's owned by Racing Champions. I don't think they give a rat's a$$ about the plastic kits. From what I heard they bought it for the diecast line.

Raygun

For whatever its worth............

I bought the ERTL Ecto 1 and it blew. It was probably the only model I ever threw in the trash. It was poorly designed and I thought it was absolutely no fun.

I have the older Ecto 1A Hope its not that bad, and hope the Polar Lights Ecto is better!
icon_wink.gif

Well, at least Ertl and MPC gave us soemthing to work with. The Falcon kit is BIG, and yeah it's inaccurate, but it's a starting point and beats the hell out of making it from scratch.

As for PL's Ecto-1. It's not bad. If you like PL kits, then you won't be upset. Personally, I'm not a big fan of their choices for kits and they seem to have a thing for making them either really big or really small. There's no middle ground. Thier Jupiter Two kit was decent, and their C57-D was nice, but jeez...WTF do you put it???

Raygun

Since we've brought up the Ecto models, I'm currently building both. And other than an excessive amount of flash on the Ertl Ecto 1A, it's a lot sharper in detail than the PL Ecto 1. The Ertl also has more in the way of detail, like keyholes and handles.

Of course, I've spent a few weeks just detailling the top roof racks for both - all those warning labels and the like.

Just started working on the interiors, besides making Proton packs and racks
icon_wink.gif

Oh what fun!

I think you see more detail on the car models since they either had a car kit for the basic cadillac already (at least the dashboards, etc were reused) and they also have more experience with car models than PL does.

Raygun

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Sluis Van Shipyards wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Actually the STAP, Tank, and 1/48 TIEs were really good at the end of the line.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I agree. I thought that the ertl tie was the ultimate until the fine molds came out, although I'm not crazy about the size of the fine molds...1/72 scale seems kinda small.

Robert
icon_smile.gif

Are just talking about the ERTL plastic kits here? If not I think the finest of their Star Wars must be the Rancor model. And they even threw in a Gammorean Guard.

Awesome job! The ERTL rancor was my first vinyl kit. I didn't realize that you have to fill the legs with plaster or something similar to keep it from drooping. He ended up looking through his legs after a while
icon_lol.gif

Robert
icon_smile.gif

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back