ERTL/Fine Molds FALCON.

STEVE THE SWEDE

Sr Member
Could it be that the ERTL and Fine molds falcons actually are studio sized (at least roughly) after all.? So far we now of the huge ANH falcon and the 32" built for Emipre. Then there's the tiny quarter sized one used on the bridge of the star destroyer in Empire. However, there seems to be another scale used too. If you look closely on page 82 in "Creating Star Wars in 365 days" you can see three "ertl sized" Falcons laying on the model tables. There's also a brief image of one of these models in "The making of Emipre" show, shown with it's engine fully lit.

Anybody know where these three (all in the same scale) models were used? Were they built for Empire? Would this actually mean that the ERTIL/Fine molds Falcons aren't that far from beeing Studio sized models after all?

Please share your thoughts.

Steve.

They used an ERLT Falcon for videomatics.
Not sure I that would make it studio scale. It still looks like @#$%. though. Just like the Code3.

Tim

Interesting indeed. I would love to know more on that.

I still am going to get that 32" Falcon when it comes available however.

A proper replica of that ship has been a dream of mine since I was 11 and Star Wars was first released in 77. I viewed that movie 90 times the first year it was out. LOL. A bit overboard I agree, but at 11, that was like seeing GOD himself for me. My imagination went wild and now, thanks to all you masters, I can finally make that dream come alive.

Drooling wouldn't be a proper description for me. LOL.

Sorry to get off base on your thread.

I wish to know more on the possibility of the ERTL/Fine Molds scale being used in the movie.

Hmm, well I guess they could have been used for the videomatics. But why build three? Also, it seems a bit ambitious to build in engine lights if they were only intended for videomatics. One of these models can clearly bee seen in the making of show for empire, videomatics featuring models weren't used back then, right? I thought this concept was developed during Jedi. Anyway, here's a really crappy pic of the three "mini" Falcons. Not the best but at least you'll get a hint of their look and size.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/small-falcons.jpg[/image]

Steve.

Originally posted by STEVE THE SWEDE@Apr 2 2006, 10:19 AM
Hmm, well I guess they could have been used for the videomatics. But why build three? Also, it seems a bit ambitious to build in engine lights if they were only intended for videomatics. One of these models can clearly bee seen in the making of show for empire, videomatics featuring models weren't used back then, right? I thought this concept was developed during Jedi. Anyway, here's a really crappy pic of the three "mini" Falcons. Not the best but at least you'll get a hint of their look and size.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/small-falcons.jpg[/image]

Steve.
[snapback]1218284[/snapback]​
I guess I am not understanding.

I see items around the Falcons that are not pre 1977 Star Wars. What is the timeline of this picture?

Well I see a Sail Barge in the back ground, so I'm guessing post ROTJ. Probably about the same time as the famous picture of George surrounded by the props was taken.

How big was the Falcon miniature for that shot in ESB where the camera sweeps by as she is perched on the side of the Star Destroyer tower?

Could they have been built for that shot?

- k

No, that one was not much bigger than a quarter. I'll be posting pics of some of these oddball falcons later.

That was the 32" Falcon, the tower/bridge was massive. The kit Falcons were used in the asteroid sequence and some videomatics for it, no that process wasn't 'invented' for Jedi. The videomatics for SW were spliced from other films, the ones for ESB were shot very low key and even involved just a lot of stills and Polaroids (Coppolla used to do this too; from storyboards to Polaroids to video, etc... until the film was done)

In some photos of the kit birdies (there aren't too many around, are there...?) it looks to me like they had to be purpose built. Probably easier to build a few with specific mounting points or lighting requirements than try to work sturdy rigs and such from something that small which would have so little (if any) final screentime. I wouldn't call the kit Falcons 'Studio Scale', after all they're just off the shelf stuff that got lucky. :)

Anyway, would have loved to have seen close-up shots of these, realizing that they need next to nothing for work for their use, I still wonder if anyone went to town on them. The world may never know... I do know that one fellow once mentioned that a small Falcon toured around some time ago or was part of a specific museum show, and I think it was well before the MoM days... wonder if there are shots out there...

Ooo.. then again...

Someone in a Falcon group mentioned that one is in Oshkosh WI., at the EAA museum there... hoping some pics pop up from there too.

Originally posted by Treadwell@Apr 2 2006, 06:46 PM
Check out this odd one that was on display next to the 5-footer during the MOM tour:

(big pics)
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic

(thanks to studioscale.com and Frank Wire)
[snapback]1218361[/snapback]​

Cool. That model is shown in the "Lucasfilm archive" book. The book states that it's aprox 20 cm long. I wonder if this is indeed one of the three models laying on the table.

Steve.

Could it have been used for the scene where the fleet jumps to hyperspace in ROTJ? Just like this ERTL X-Wing was. http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=d...m&item_id=47465

If the engines where lit it must because it had to be seen from behind. Could it the hyperspace jump at the end of ESB just before the Executor is about to catch them?

If it was in the "the making of ESB" thats is one scene where they could have used it.

Cheers
Staermose

Here's the mystery Falcon from the "SP FX: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" TV special:

falc_1-0.jpg

Given the topside mounting point, it must be the Falcon that was attached to the underside of the medical frigate model for the wide shot. I don't know why the engine would need to light, though, since the 32" was used for the departure.

Here's that smaller one next to it, which the narration claims is around 2":

falc_1-1.jpg

And here are MPC Falcons in use for animatics:

falc_3-0.jpg

falc_3-3.jpg

falc_3-2.jpg

falc_3-1.jpg

falc_3-4.jpg

Originally posted by Clerval@Apr 2 2006, 01:38 PM
That was the 32" Falcon, the tower/bridge was massive.
[snapback]1218354[/snapback]​

Oh, right, I'd forgotten about the closeup. I was thinking of the wide shot where you see the entire Star Destroyer.

Very kewl, but I still would love to see where the ERTL/Fine Molds scale Falcon was used.

Anyone have picture of that?

Would Jay's last picture with the guy in front of the Blue Screen be it?

The five bottom pics in my post are all the MPC Falcon. The company later merged with Ertl, who continued to release the model under the MPC/Ertl moniker, and then just Ertl. MPC = Ertl. Same model.

Fine Molds? That's only been around a few months. ;)

Thanks Treadwell. Jay is it?

LOL...I was only using the ERTL/Fine Molds reference for scale, but I can see how I may have been misunderstood..lol.

I actually had an MPC Falcon hanging about 2 feet over the center my bed when it was released back then. LOL. Built terribly bad...and lit...lol, .. but I still had it where I would see it constantly..lol. I think I still have it stored somewhere.

I guess this would be my favorite ship design of those movies. Can't explain why.

Did you work on these films? You have a great knowledge of this and I would love to hear more.

Originally posted by Treadwell+Apr 3 2006, 10:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Apr 3 2006, 10:53 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kuhn Global
@Apr 3 2006, 12:51 PM
Did you work on these films?
[snapback]1219104[/snapback]​

I wish. I was 13 when ESB came out. ;)
[snapback]1219107[/snapback]​
[/b]

LOL..good enough for excellent knowledge. :p

Let's chat sometime. :D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back