ERTL/Fine Molds FALCON.

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by STEVE THE SWEDE, Apr 2, 2006.

1. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Could it be that the ERTL and Fine molds falcons actually are studio sized (at least roughly) after all.? So far we now of the huge ANH falcon and the 32" built for Emipre. Then there's the tiny quarter sized one used on the bridge of the star destroyer in Empire. However, there seems to be another scale used too. If you look closely on page 82 in "Creating Star Wars in 365 days" you can see three "ertl sized" Falcons laying on the model tables. There's also a brief image of one of these models in "The making of Emipre" show, shown with it's engine fully lit.

Anybody know where these three (all in the same scale) models were used? Were they built for Empire? Would this actually mean that the ERTIL/Fine molds Falcons aren't that far from beeing Studio sized models after all?

Please share your thoughts.

Steve.

2. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

They used an ERLT Falcon for videomatics.
    Not sure I that would make it studio scale. It still looks like @#$%. though. Just like the Code3.

Tim

3. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Interesting indeed. I would love to know more on that.

I still am going to get that 32" Falcon when it comes available however.

A proper replica of that ship has been a dream of mine since I was 11 and Star Wars was first released in 77. I viewed that movie 90 times the first year it was out. LOL. A bit overboard I agree, but at 11, that was like seeing GOD himself for me. My imagination went wild and now, thanks to all you masters, I can finally make that dream come alive.

Drooling wouldn't be a proper description for me. LOL.

Sorry to get off base on your thread.

I wish to know more on the possibility of the ERTL/Fine Molds scale being used in the movie.

4. STEVE THE SWEDE

Hmm, well I guess they could have been used for the videomatics. But why build three? Also, it seems a bit ambitious to build in engine lights if they were only intended for videomatics. One of these models can clearly bee seen in the making of show for empire, videomatics featuring models weren't used back then, right? I thought this concept was developed during Jedi. Anyway, here's a really crappy pic of the three "mini" Falcons. Not the best but at least you'll get a hint of their look and size.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/small-falcons.jpg[/image]

Steve.

5. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I guess I am not understanding.

I see items around the Falcons that are not pre 1977 Star Wars. What is the timeline of this picture?

6. 12Rogues

12Rogues Well-Known Member

Well I see a Sail Barge in the back ground, so I'm guessing post ROTJ. Probably about the same time as the famous picture of George surrounded by the props was taken.

7. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How big was the Falcon miniature for that shot in ESB where the camera sweeps by as she is perched on the side of the Star Destroyer tower?

Could they have been built for that shot?

- k

8. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No, that one was not much bigger than a quarter. I'll be posting pics of some of these oddball falcons later.

9. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That was the 32" Falcon, the tower/bridge was massive. The kit Falcons were used in the asteroid sequence and some videomatics for it, no that process wasn't 'invented' for Jedi. The videomatics for SW were spliced from other films, the ones for ESB were shot very low key and even involved just a lot of stills and Polaroids (Coppolla used to do this too; from storyboards to Polaroids to video, etc... until the film was done)

In some photos of the kit birdies (there aren't too many around, are there...?) it looks to me like they had to be purpose built. Probably easier to build a few with specific mounting points or lighting requirements than try to work sturdy rigs and such from something that small which would have so little (if any) final screentime. I wouldn't call the kit Falcons 'Studio Scale', after all they're just off the shelf stuff that got lucky. :)

Anyway, would have loved to have seen close-up shots of these, realizing that they need next to nothing for work for their use, I still wonder if anyone went to town on them. The world may never know... I do know that one fellow once mentioned that a small Falcon toured around some time ago or was part of a specific museum show, and I think it was well before the MoM days... wonder if there are shots out there...

10. Treadwell

Check out this odd one that was on display next to the 5-footer during the MOM tour:

(big pics)
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic

(thanks to studioscale.com and Frank Wire)

11. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ooo.. then again...

Someone in a Falcon group mentioned that one is in Oshkosh WI., at the EAA museum there... hoping some pics pop up from there too.

12. STEVE THE SWEDE

Cool. That model is shown in the "Lucasfilm archive" book. The book states that it's aprox 20 cm long. I wonder if this is indeed one of the three models laying on the table.

Steve.

13. staermose

staermose Sr Member

Could it have been used for the scene where the fleet jumps to hyperspace in ROTJ? Just like this ERTL X-Wing was. http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=d...m&item_id=47465

If the engines where lit it must because it had to be seen from behind. Could it the hyperspace jump at the end of ESB just before the Executor is about to catch them?

If it was in the "the making of ESB" thats is one scene where they could have used it.

Cheers
    Staermose

14. Treadwell

Here's the mystery Falcon from the "SP FX: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" TV special:

[​IMG]

Given the topside mounting point, it must be the Falcon that was attached to the underside of the medical frigate model for the wide shot. I don't know why the engine would need to light, though, since the 32" was used for the departure.

Here's that smaller one next to it, which the narration claims is around 2":

[​IMG]

And here are MPC Falcons in use for animatics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Treadwell

Oh, right, I'd forgotten about the closeup. I was thinking of the wide shot where you see the entire Star Destroyer.

16. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Very kewl, but I still would love to see where the ERTL/Fine Molds scale Falcon was used.

Anyone have picture of that?

Would Jay's last picture with the guy in front of the Blue Screen be it?

17. Treadwell

The five bottom pics in my post are all the MPC Falcon. The company later merged with Ertl, who continued to release the model under the MPC/Ertl moniker, and then just Ertl. MPC = Ertl. Same model.

Fine Molds? That's only been around a few months. ;)

18. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Thanks Treadwell. Jay is it?

LOL...I was only using the ERTL/Fine Molds reference for scale, but I can see how I may have been misunderstood..lol.

I actually had an MPC Falcon hanging about 2 feet over the center my bed when it was released back then. LOL. Built terribly bad...and lit...lol, .. but I still had it where I would see it constantly..lol. I think I still have it stored somewhere.

I guess this would be my favorite ship design of those movies. Can't explain why.

Did you work on these films? You have a great knowledge of this and I would love to hear more.

19. Treadwell

I wish. I was 13 when ESB came out. ;)

20. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

LOL..good enough for excellent knowledge. :p

Let's chat sometime. :D

21. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Have any major mods been done to the Ertl Falcon like added greeblies, things taken away, major cutting up and adding to???

I can't tell from the pics as I have no Ertl Falcon to compare it to.

This may have to go in my SS prop now..... :D

Lynn

22. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I would think if they were used in film and can be proven then they would be a SS model, just like I would classify the Mongram BSG Raider model as a SS model because they were was used in a Base star hanger deck scene in a specific episode.

Lynn

23. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Are you thinking of building one of these Steve???

I'm really starting to now.

A nice cheap build is always good.. :lol

Lynn

24. Treadwell

Personally, I don't think animatics count. ;)

I don't think they were modified. Didn't need to be for those purposes. The gap in the sidewall for the lighting switch is uncovered, for example.

25. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

Not only was the Monogram Cylon Raider used in the season 1 episode, the Hand of God, but it was used to make the Advanced Cylon Raider that used a SS Raider AND the Monogram Raider to make it. As well as some TIE fighter wing struts..
    The Episode was The Night the Cylons landed. Can any one say Wolf Man Jack...... Howlllllllllllll

Neat find that the very picked on MPC/ERTL Falcon kit was used. " It's a piece of junk. " But now official...

Mark

26. STEVE THE SWEDE

Treadwell, awesome screencaps. That's exactly the image I was reffering too. I agree with you, it would seem likely that the model was used for the medical frigate shot. However, still doesn't explain the need for a lit engine.

Lynn, I used to own an Ertl Falcon but I trashed it when I moved to our new appartment. However, a little bird has sung in my ear that my GF has bought the Finemolds Falcon for my up comming birthday to replace it. :) I've been on house hunts everytime she's left the place but so far I haven't been able to find the * thing. Hoping the little bird is right though.

Steve.

27. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Not everything that is made FOR a movie appears IN the movie.

Tim

28. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I thought Steve was thinking they were used for the Medical frigate shots? thus it wold not be a animatics model but a SS model if it used in the film, unless your saying it was used for a animatics shot for the frigate scene and NOT used in the film?

Lynn

29. Treadwell

He might be, but this:

[​IMG]

is not an MPC. Too small.
    :)

30. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Now I'm all confused, I thought the lite one with the pole sticking out the top was for the Medical Frigate was the MPC as Steve mentioned..??..

Lynn

31. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

32. f1racer

f1racer New Member

33. Treadwell

Correct, neither of those are MPCs. The only MPC photos in this thread are the five I labeled as animatics ones, above. Sorry for confusing things by throwing in other "oddball" Falcon models. :$

34. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

:lol
    Thanks for the clarification....

It saved my wallet from going out and buying an MPC kit. :lol

I think Steve may have gotten confused as well thinking the lighted Falcon used for the Frigate was the MPC also because the animatics model does not look lit.

Lynn

35. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

If your thinking this is an MPC as I was, I too got confused as to what was the MPC, Jay says this is NOT an MPC. [image]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Treadwell_Jay/falc_1-0.jpg[/image]
    Jay said it is smaller then the MPC...

Just these are the MPC, and the engines are NOT lit....
    [image]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Treadwell_Jay/falc_3-0.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Treadwell_Jay/falc_3-1.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Treadwell_Jay/falc_3-2.jpg[/image]

Lynn

36. Treadwell

...and the sidewalls are thinner, and the rear deck detailing is different, and the L-R aft access bays are proportionately smaller, and there are fewer flap thingies at the rear, and there's no gunwell window, etc etc. :)

37. Treadwell

BTW when compositing the videotaped animatics they were apparently fast and loose with image proportions, so that's why the MPC looks really fat in one shot and skinny in another.

38. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

I know from a very reliable source that an MPC Falcon is one of Gary Kurtz's treasured souveniers from ESB. If I recall correctly, it was used in the shot where the Falcon does the Immelman around a bank of clouds to go back for Luke. The Falcon's sidewalls were definitely replaced-- no one at ILM could stand that huge error in the kit.

My source is my friend Patrick Johnson, director of "5-25-77", which is being produced by Gary Kurtz.

Scott

39. STEVE THE SWEDE

OK, just to clarify, I don't think or know for sure if the MPC was used or not, nor do I think that the one in the making of TV show was an MPC. It's way to small :lol However, the three Falcons on the table are way to big to match the lit model that could have been used for the medical shot. They most be something else, scale wise they sure look like they could be close to the MPC model.

Steve.

40. f1racer

f1racer New Member