Equilibrium: "Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams..."

Nexus6

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just finished this up (while waiting for the glue on another project to dry), & I'm pretty stoked about how it turned out. First, relevant screencaps:

I noted there was actually two versions of this prop. A thin-ish one that fits conveniently into a Grammaton Clerics' front coat pocket:

And a full-sized book that was used in the big Cleric Partridge 'sense-offense' reveal:

For my version, I utilized the graphics provided so graciously by (IIRC) 'amish', created a suitable background for said graphics, sized them, & had them printed out on 70# paper. The book, which I found/purchased on Amazon three years ago, is something I REALLY lucked out on. On-screen, the book Partridge is actually holding is (quoted from the unofficial/official website):

...Sylvia Plath's poetry--not Yeats.' We always see him holding the book, "The Poetry of William Butler Yeats," but if you pause the film where it does a close up on the pages, he is reading two long poems by Sylvia Plath: "The Detective" and "The Bee Meeting."
I was able to find a book of W. B. Yeats' poetry, that was of correct approximate dimensions (height, width, thickness), AND after I got it (this blew my damn mind), the poem Partridge was reading on-screen ("He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven") was not only on the correct (right-hand) side, but was approximately the same distance into the book (!!!).

After paper-cementing my cover onto the book, I set about weathering it. I had actually planned to take my 9mm & make a screen-accurate bullet hole through the book, but I was worried about how much damage might occur to the book (beyond the hole), so I opted for a drill & dremel.

After finishing that up, I decided (even though it isn't screen-accurate) that I would add some blood to the inside of the book, just cuz I'm pretty confident that if one got shot in the throat while holding a book right in front of one's melon, that there would be some spatter. So I took a razor blade (WHATWHATWHAT?) & made a small slice on the palm-side of my middle finger, let a couple drops of blood pool up, then I flicked it at the book a couple of times. After that, I called it done. Anyway, here's the finished piece, & thanks for looking:

yeats01.jpg

yeats02.jpg

yeats03.jpg

yeats04.jpg

yeats05.jpg

yeats06.jpg

In honor of your gangsta wounds I think I'll watch Equilibrium tonight :lol
What a coincidence, that's exactly what I did last night.

But not in honor of my gangsta-ness though. Just because I was in the mood for awesome. :cool:thumbsup

I'm calling BS on the gangsta part. A "true" gangsta would shot that book and used a rusty knife on his neck to get the blood! ;)

(don't worry folks, I know him in real life)

I'm calling BS on the gangsta part. A "true" gangsta would shot that book and used a rusty knife on his neck to get the blood! ;)

(don't worry folks, I know him in real life)
frankcostanza.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Amazing! I am going to locate the origianl graphics I posted somewhere on the RPF and will post a link to them here. I love how it turned out!

Tom

Amazing! I am going to locate the origianl graphics I posted somewhere on the RPF and will post a link to them here. I love how it turned out!

Tom
Thanks!

If you can't find your originals for some reason, let me know, I'll send them to you free of charge. :love :lol

Excellent work, Nexus! And great find on the base book you used. I'm trying to put a last minute John Preston costume together (couldn't get the pistols on short notice...so I'm going the dog/book/ribbon route :cool ). Is there any chance I could get the cover graphics from you? I just received the base book Friday and would love to have it look as close to the screen-used prop as possible. It might make up for the stuffed Bernese Mountain dog toy I'll be carrying...to have it "checked for disease". heh

Thanks!

Art
'Jon8712'

This is utterly amazing, and as Equilibrium is probably my favourite film, I'm very envious. Gorgeous. gorgeous prop. I'd be perpared to pay a fortune for something like this.

This is beautiful, I would love to make one, would you share the file for the cover art? If so, and if I get around to this I will definitely give it the 9 mm treatment, and post some photos.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back