Episode II models: has anyone ever made any?

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Durasteel Corporation, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Im super new to this forum so feel free to PM me with details if sensitivity is an issue.
    thanks
    Drew

2. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Personaly, I would love to see a SS AT-TE to along with my AT-AT.

Lynn

3. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

EXACTLY Lynn! I love that thing!! EP II ships were really cool and so much closer to the OT, Im suprised no one has made any, save the Obi wan ship or slaveI.

Drew

4. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

The thing is they actually made a SS AT-TE model for EP2 for some of the blowing up scences, if I remember correctly it was a good sized model.

Lynn

5. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There was a concept model produced for scale and animatics, but that was all. Because of the orientation of the legs, it had to be completely supported underneath the body and nothing was produced for effects. Kim's paint job was scanned and then reproduced at res for the digital models.

A practical model or scratchbuild would have to lock the legs and really weight them to maintain balance even in a most neutral or static pose.

Sucks, huh?

6. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

There was one made for pyro use as there were pics of it here floating around showing as such. It was a good sized model and not supported in such way you described.

Lynn

7. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the photo as well Lynn. Just trying to find it though. Toughie. It was quite huge as I recall as well. Definitely a good sized model.

8. mrstubbs

mrstubbs Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are there any?

9. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

I did a hail fire droid a while back 80% finished my friend has it now.

10. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

I am working on making the hasbro gunship more accurate.

11. yt

yt Sr Member

I would love to see some pictures of that.

12. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

13. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

I will post when I get a chance! Those pics are what im useing for reference.
    Im making this as accurate as I can without doing a lot of hacking and chopping, but there is some.
    Most of the panel lines are correct, but they made a few areas larger for the 3 3/4 figures, so a few mods are being done AND there are a few kit donors on it as well, notebly is the Morser Karl and Leopold kit parts on it.

14. yt

yt Sr Member

Wow! Now I am even more excited, I have one I am planning to give this treatment, it sounds like you are really going all out. :thumbsup

15. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Are you saying that you are using Karl and Leopold parts on yours or that the production model has some too?

Joe

16. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Both, those parts are in the inside near the doorway and the upper racks above the troop area.

17. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

a Model of the AT TE was made and its Freaking HUGE. I took a bunch of pictures of it while it was at the Franklin Institute in PHilly a couple of years ago. IN one of the pics you can see the full sized landspeeder through the glass case... about 8=10 feet away to give you a sens of how large this model is... I've posted more up on the photobucket site if you guys want to see it... Pictures by Jedi_Dade - Photobucket

[​IMG]

18. SurfingDoc

SurfingDoc Well-Known Member

Interesting. So they used these models only for pyro shots? I didn't realize they made any models for the prequels.

19. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Nah, these were maquets, and were scanned and then digitally used for the movies, episode 1 did use physical models but ep2 and 3 just about everything was digital.

20. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Next year when i finally get my garage, that SS scale Radiant VII is going to happen. I know its EP I but theres just not enough prequel stuff out there.

21. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

The Radiant cruiser in Episode 1 is a filmed model. :thumbsup I think the droid command ship and tanks are too.

22. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Ive also got an EP I droid tank i think i posted it here, got the main turret finished. Ill find it and post some pics tomorrow.

23. Lancer

Lancer Sr Member

I'd love to see all 3 of Padme's ships together on a shelf. the silver cruiser from Ep1, the big flying wing that got blown up in ep2 and the sleek private ship from Ep3.

nice

24. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Some pics of the Battle tank. The painted tank was built by REL, that was a fun day Rich.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And what i started with.
    [​IMG]

25. joez2391

joez2391 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wowwwww....that build looks amazing I cant believe how big it's going to be!

26. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

I would love to see an AT-TE. I think that is one kick-* design/model.

I like it better than the AT-AT

27. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

blasphemy!!!!

28. SurfingDoc

SurfingDoc Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, anyone have any ideas of paint (or techniques) that can replicate that high gloss chrome? I'm trying to fix up a Kenner Naboo starfighter.

29. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

Alclad II Chrome perhaps?

30. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There have been a few discussions about chrome paint in the past. Do a search and you'll find the threads. Search for "naboo" or "chrome"

Such as:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/killer-chrome-nebulizer-85845/

http://www.therpf.com/f11/interest-thread-1-72-naboo-starship-23658/index8.html

Half of the pics are missing from this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/naboo-fighter-23510/

I hope that helps.

31. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Heres a few of my unfinished Hail fire from EPII. i wish there were more from the Prequels out there.

The wheels are laser cut acrylic, and the main wheel housing is urethane foam.

Thanks for looking
    Al

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

Thats looking really cool!

33. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

To help answer your question...Killerchrome is awesome but I couldn't get the urethane clear coat to work, both through an airbrush and the can stuff. I ended up using Alclad II Chrome on this build.

[​IMG]

Joe

34. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

:lol I have these things in my house they are huge.........and freaking
    beautiful!!!! I know you want me to finish it!!!:thumbsup

35. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Yeah finish it. the speeder can wait.