EPIII Clone Pilot helmet project (update Pg. 8)

Re: EPIII Clone Pilot helmet project

looks great.

I too like toing builds in plastic and bondo, you have to be able to she the shape before its there if that makes sense. looks great

Wow awesome. This is one of the helmet I need for my collection. I have only seen one other person that makes them (but I don't remember who that is)
Looks great, nice work.:thumbsup

Awesome work!! I'm always amazed at how much can be done with Bondo in the hands of an artist.

Astounding to see how you transformed the donor bucket into the Clone Pilot helmet. You have very impressive skills, EVO3! :eek :thumbsup

Thanks for sharing your build with us!

That is 8 kinds of AWESOME!. Thank you so much for the WIP pics. I'd never be able to figure out how you did it without them!

Sorry i havent had much of a chance to reply to some of the questions. I have a few other projects going at once and it doesnt leave me with much time for anything at the moment. Anyways, im stoked at the response you all are giving it! I feels good to have hours of hard work appreciated. Makes it all worth while. Well to answer some of the questions that were asked.......

The symmetry is pretty much based off of the original motorcycle helmet. As you can see the helmet was built in sections and as i added each section, i would take measurements to make sure it was symmetrical as possible. It is by no means perfect but its as close as i could get it.

I use varying thicknesses of styrene. If you go into my shop i just have tons of strip styrene and sheet styrene in all sizes. I get my plastic from my vaccum forming guy and the hobby shop i work at. Its made by a company called Evergreen.

The inspiration for this project came from marching at Star Wars Weekends parade at Disney. This year was sooo hot wearing my Bacara armor that i though it would be really nice to complete this costume and have it ready for next years parade. An open face helmet would be good change considering how hot it gets there. So i will be making a few copies of this helmet.

Ive got more progress done on the helmet in the past few days. I cut the vents out on the "cheeks" and constructed the hose coupler for the helmet. I'll post pics soon.

More updates! Basically just cut out the vents and made the hose couplers. I was wondering how to make the vents as perfect and symmetrical as possible and came up with the idea of using my vinyl plotter to cut out a template as a guide and what do you know, it worked! It was still a lot of work trying to stay in the lines. I used my trusty dremel tool, drill and file.

7.jpg

9.jpg

From here, i just plugged up the holes from the back with epoxy putty then when that dried, i came in from the top and epoxy puttied the holes. Next was the hose couplers. I fabricated the prototype from PVC pipe and some styrene strips.... a little epoxt putty as well.

12.jpg

Molded that piece and made clones!!!!!

13.jpg

Heres the helmet with all the front work done. Just for the record, the hose couplers will be cast separately from the helmet.

1.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

Work on the back detail has begun as well already.

10.jpg

Till next time guys!

Re: EPIII Clone Pilot helmet project (update Pg. 4)

probably the single handedly most amazing thing ive seen on these boards yet!! so amazing so ingenious!

Griff

wow. Please tell me that these will be cast up in the end... I would love to have one in the collection. Amazing work.

Wow! Holy Mother of...... That is amazing
Evo will you make these available to us?

-Cree

THAT, is truly inspiring. Man, seriously, that is the coolest progression I've ever seen.

Tight Baby....Tight!(y)thumbsup Love it! Such a smart, intelligent build. Giving me some ideas :love Thanks for sharing.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back